Retro Gamer Issue 122 Official feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

PostieDoc

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 122 Official feedback

Post by PostieDoc » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:30 am

flatapex wrote:
PostieDoc wrote: Back To The 90's on the other hand was a big disappointment for me (again). I moved on from my beloved Amiga to the PC in the mid-nineties and it was a great time for PC Gaming.
Yet you focus almost entirely on the console scene of the time. There are three paragraphs about Meridian 59 (which is three more paragraphs than you gave to PC Gaming last issue), please could you share the love a bit more evenly?
if memory serves then the mid 90s was a great time for all games, the mega drive and snes had reached the part of their lifespans where developers could use the whole of the machines capabilities, mega cd was out, n64 was coming out as was the ps1 so there was loads of buzz about the next generation.

i moved to pc gaming about that time, i was into stuff like grand prix 2, theme park and indy car racing 2, good? yes, great? no. i dont ever look back at indy car racing 2 with its appaling ai (if you spin the cars behind just stop and twitch about a bit) and glaring omissions like a visible pit crew when you stop for fuel or tyres

Well just from 1995/ 96 there was Full Throttle, Command and Conquer, Warcraft 2, Descent, Wing Commander IV, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, Master Of Orion 2, Mechwarrior 2, Civilisation 2, so I refute your claims that the PC scene was good and not great.
I can understand the consoles of the time being the focus due to how popular they are but it would be nice if they gave a bit more coverage to the PC games of the time as well. I'm sure I'm not the only one who progressed from Amiga/ ST on to the PC.

In general I really enjoyed this months issue.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:15 am

Is next month Iain Lee's last :( I always enjoy his collumn, thats a shame.

Not a huge amount that massively interests me this month, but I do like to read all the articles and learn new things. The C64 game article was very interesting.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:19 am

I like the minimalist cover, and there's some genuinely interesting articles this month too, but eleven pages of adverts is just too much. I understand that you have to pay for the magazine, but come on!!
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

MartynC

Post by MartynC » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:03 am

markopoloman wrote:Read the JSW retirement home article - loved it :D But I am surprised that no speccy addicts have been here throwing bricks at Martyn for not including ANY screenshots from the original Speccy version :lol:
And that Dragon version seems to have a shed load of extra rooms :shock:
Unfortunately a bit of explanatory text had to be cut due to space...

THE HOUSE THAT HACKS BUILT
Jet Set Willy is surely one of the most hacked games of the 8-bit era, with fans poking around in the code to produce cheats, modify rooms and even construct whole new houses. This trend can be traced back to the coders tasked with porting JSW and its sequel to different platforms. It seems that few could resist the temptation to add in a few extra rooms of their own. And they added a lot – 28 in fact. Here, for the first time, we’ve pieced together all of those extra, official screens to build the perfect home for our platforming hero to see out the rest of his days.

So it's a connected-up house made up of all the extra rooms which were added to JSW 1 and JSW 2 (plus the Bathroom. And Master Bedroom. And some others... oh I think I've confused myself :) )

Essentially, it's the JSW equivalent to that Manic Miner Lost Levels feature which RevStu put together a while back.

merman

Post by merman » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:58 am

dust wrote:
PostieDoc wrote:The C64 Games That Time Forgot is a great idea (and article), any chance of doing the same for the likes of the Speccy and Amstrad?
Great to see Gauntlet III in the list. Sold a copy of that on disc 18 months ago for over 900 quid!! :D
Martyn Carroll did a Spectrum Games That Time Forgot feature in issue 91. So you may see an Amstrad equivalent in the future...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:50 pm

AmigaJay wrote:Good Issue this month, one of my favs for a while;

Good parts;
Forgotten Worlds Guide
Software Creations
Creating Chaos (Engine)
3DO feature (whilst a good read, was a little ott in fanboyism, though i did enjoy most of it, though not sure about the 'industry in-roads' section, alot of that happened long before the 3do i.e lack of copy protection, multitasking o.s, region free etc)

Cover was alright, couldnt do alot more with the picture, though the text either side is a little plain.

Good Issue overall...good job.
I agree good issue. I liked the GTA III feature and I can't believe that game is now 12 years old. How time flies...
Well done Darran and your team! :D :D

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:00 pm

Iain Lee's latest column next month? Damn, that sucks, I always started off with his column to give me a chuckle which it never failed to do, it provided a nice balance for the mag along with the letters page, just broke things up a bit nicely. I for one will miss his work, cheers Iain for getting the mag off to a great start each month!

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:16 pm

MartynC wrote:
markopoloman wrote:Read the JSW retirement home article - loved it :D But I am surprised that no speccy addicts have been here throwing bricks at Martyn for not including ANY screenshots from the original Speccy version :lol:

Jet Set Willy is surely one of the most hacked games of the 8-bit era, with fans poking around in the code to produce cheats, modify rooms and even construct whole new houses. This trend can be traced back to the coders tasked with porting JSW and its sequel to different platforms. It seems that few could resist the temptation to add in a few extra rooms of their own. And they added a lot – 28 in fact. Here, for the first time, we’ve pieced together all of those extra, official screens to build the perfect home for our platforming hero to see out the rest of his days.

So it's a connected-up house made up of all the extra rooms which were added to JSW 1 and JSW 2 (plus the Bathroom. And Master Bedroom. And some others... oh I think I've confused myself :) )

Essentially, it's the JSW equivalent to that Manic Miner Lost Levels feature which RevStu put together a while back.
What a shame that had to be cut, as that contextualised the raison d'être of the entire article!!!

Still, gotta make room for those garish XBox1 ads somehow.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:24 pm

I noticed the Atari 8-bit version of JSW was missing, which is a shame :(

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:06 pm

The Laird wrote:I noticed the Atari 8-bit version of JSW was missing, which is a shame :(
But did it have extra rooms?
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:07 pm

MartynC wrote:

Well, that makes sense now! Thanks for clearing that up. Are you going to the Kenilworth Retro event in December? THAT curry house is set fora re-visit :D :wink:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:01 pm

ncf1 wrote:Iain Lee's latest column next month? Damn, that sucks, I always started off with his column to give me a chuckle which it never failed to do, it provided a nice balance for the mag along with the letters page, just broke things up a bit nicely. I for one will miss his work, cheers Iain for getting the mag off to a great start each month!
yeah I like Iain Lee too, shame he is leaving, wonder if there will be a replacement?

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:34 pm

merman wrote:
dust wrote:
PostieDoc wrote:The C64 Games That Time Forgot is a great idea (and article), any chance of doing the same for the likes of the Speccy and Amstrad?
Great to see Gauntlet III in the list. Sold a copy of that on disc 18 months ago for over 900 quid!! :D
Martyn Carroll did a Spectrum Games That Time Forgot feature in issue 91. So you may see an Amstrad equivalent in the future...

Thanks, will have a look for issue 91 on Ebay.

Fawltykog

Post by Fawltykog » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:04 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
ncf1 wrote:Iain Lee's latest column next month? Damn, that sucks, I always started off with his column to give me a chuckle which it never failed to do, it provided a nice balance for the mag along with the letters page, just broke things up a bit nicely. I for one will miss his work, cheers Iain for getting the mag off to a great start each month!
yeah I like Iain Lee too, shame he is leaving, wonder if there will be a replacement?
I'd vote for Matthew Smith to have his own columm. :D

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:09 pm

Fawltykog wrote:
HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
I'd vote for Matthew Smith to have his own columm. :D
Smith would be better than an advert but Archer Maclean would be superb, or they could have a different guest writer each month.