Retro Gamer Issue 122 Official feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

nakamura

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 122 Official feedback

Post by nakamura » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:38 pm

darthsteve333 wrote: advertising revenue is revenue, and if that means my favourite magazine can get published, its a pill I can swallow without too much difficulty.
Absolutely. It isn't ideal but business is never ideal.

As for the mag, with Megamixer I love the cover. Plenty of great content and I am looking to forward to getting stuck into the 3D0 content. I always thought Hawkins looked a big smug but on listening to bits of the interview Darran did, he seems like a genuinely nice guy and my respect for him has gone way up.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:51 pm

Good Issue this month, one of my favs for a while;

Good parts;
Forgotten Worlds Guide
Software Creations
Creating Chaos (Engine)
3DO feature (whilst a good read, was a little ott in fanboyism, though i did enjoy most of it, though not sure about the 'industry in-roads' section, alot of that happened long before the 3do i.e lack of copy protection, multitasking o.s, region free etc)

Cover was alright, couldnt do alot more with the picture, though the text either side is a little plain.

Good Issue overall...good job.

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:37 pm

Looks like an interesting issue, I like the cover too. A trip to Smiths awaits tomorrow to pick it up. I couldn't care less about the xbox advertising if it keeps the mag going.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:16 pm

Fawltykog wrote:Seriously a 7 page ad for the Xpox one? :roll:

First time i've felt let down by RG, one or two pages ok but seven...Jeez.

Just my opinion of course.
Perhaps the suspicion is the XBone is going to do so badly it may as well be advertised as retro now... :wink:

Before the outcry starts...That's a joke :)

Hmm, I tend to agree a 7 page advert is a little OTT, almost the mag equivalent of an infomercial. I realise adverts pay the bills but has it robbed feature space for it?

Always been interested in 3DO, so looking forward to that feature. :)

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:13 pm

It's got lots of C64 stuff in there :D :D

That's me happy then! As for the 7 page Xbone ad, well, it's a duffer but no surprise it is there. I'd imagine 7 full pages of advertising made the old till noise 'Chaching' :lol:

Actually, this issue is full of great stuff for me. The 3DO holds no interest though, but maybe after I read it I'll have a different opinion? And the cover - Did the 3DO do well in the states? I doubt that many people over here have a clue what it even is (a bit like the Wii-U) - would loved to have seen an Impossible Mission one.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:45 am

markopoloman wrote:That's me happy then! As for the 7 page Xbone ad, well, it's a duffer but no surprise it is there. I'd imagine 7 full pages of advertising made the old till noise 'Chaching' :lol:
To be fair Darrans walking around like Mr T with the amount of gold bling hes now wearing so it might just be a coincidence ;)

Must admit just seeing screenshots or articles made me have a quick go last night of Mercs (a classic) and even Impossible Mission (Speccy version). Still doesnt blow me away but i know (grits teeth) the C64 version was far superior in this tiny one isolated instance !

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:19 am

The C64 Games That Time Forgot is a great idea (and article), any chance of doing the same for the likes of the Speccy and Amstrad?

I enjoyed the articles on The Chaos Engine (I really want to know who Phil is now and what he does these days), and Movie.
I never played Movie the first time round so will have to try to get a copy from Ebay.

Back To The 80s was very good this week. Normally when it is a year before the release of the likes of the Speccy and C64 I don't find it very interesting but focusing on the arcade machines of the time was a nice touch and made for some good reading.

Back To The 90's on the other hand was a big disappointment for me (again). I moved on from my beloved Amiga to the PC in the mid-nineties and it was a great time for PC Gaming.
Yet you focus almost entirely on the console scene of the time. There are three paragraphs about Meridian 59 (which is three more paragraphs than you gave to PC Gaming last issue), please could you share the love a bit more evenly?

All in all a good issue and I'm looking forward to reading about Cinemaware and Videogame Underdogs in next months issue.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:58 am

darthsteve333 wrote:Just thought I'd mention that I thought Stuart Lee's column was excellent this month - very poignant and a cracking read.
Did it meander off the point, repeat phrases again & again then get to the punchline 3 hours later? :wink:

Flicking through the mag there seems very little of interest for me this month, some you win, some you lose etc etc.

I know the mag wouldn't exist without advertising revenue blah blah blah, but those horrible XBox ads are so overwhelming & out of place. Although RG has been my favourite mag for years, I'm not sure I would want to continue paying a fiver a time for an advertising pamphlet with the odd retro gaming article chucked in.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:16 am

ncf1 wrote:Looking forward to this, the 3DO is one machine that I am sure I really would have loved at the time and indeed tried to purchase a few years ago only to see a couple of machines available on Ebay and for around about a million dollars each. But I might start hunting around again, I'm sure the RG article will fire me up again and want to get my hands on one.
I've got an FZ-1, FZ-10 and a Goldstar 3DO!

/runs

:lol:

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:37 am

^ its unhealthy to tease like that. That's like stealing candy from a child right there. :wink:

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:59 am

Read the JSW retirement home article - loved it :D But I am surprised that no speccy addicts have been here throwing bricks at Martyn for not including ANY screenshots from the original Speccy version :lol:
And that Dragon version seems to have a shed load of extra rooms :shock:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

zapiy

Post by zapiy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:38 pm

AmigaJay wrote:Good Issue this month, one of my favs for a while;

Good parts;
Forgotten Worlds Guide
Software Creations
Creating Chaos (Engine)
3DO feature (whilst a good read, was a little ott in fanboyism, though i did enjoy most of it, though not sure about the 'industry in-roads' section, alot of that happened long before the 3do i.e lack of copy protection, multitasking o.s, region free etc)

Cover was alright, couldnt do alot more with the picture, though the text either side is a little plain.

Good Issue overall...good job.
Have to agree with the fella..

Not read the 3DO article yet but so far its a great issue..

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:46 pm

Yeah!-looking forward to next month already, will be so nice to see the Atari ST covered,AGAIN.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:21 pm

PostieDoc wrote: Back To The 90's on the other hand was a big disappointment for me (again). I moved on from my beloved Amiga to the PC in the mid-nineties and it was a great time for PC Gaming.
Yet you focus almost entirely on the console scene of the time. There are three paragraphs about Meridian 59 (which is three more paragraphs than you gave to PC Gaming last issue), please could you share the love a bit more evenly?
if memory serves then the mid 90s was a great time for all games, the mega drive and snes had reached the part of their lifespans where developers could use the whole of the machines capabilities, mega cd was out, n64 was coming out as was the ps1 so there was loads of buzz about the next generation.

i moved to pc gaming about that time, i was into stuff like grand prix 2, theme park and indy car racing 2, good? yes, great? no. i dont ever look back at indy car racing 2 with its appaling ai (if you spin the cars behind just stop and twitch about a bit) and glaring omissions like a visible pit crew when you stop for fuel or tyres

dust

Post by dust » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:13 pm

PostieDoc wrote:The C64 Games That Time Forgot is a great idea (and article), any chance of doing the same for the likes of the Speccy and Amstrad?
Great to see Gauntlet III in the list. Sold a copy of that on disc 18 months ago for over 900 quid!! :D