Retro Gamer Issue 122 Official feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

psj3809

Retro Gamer Issue 122 Official feedback

Post by psj3809 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:25 am

Its that time !

Mines just arrived, front cover is of a 3DO with 'Ahead of its time' and T R I P underneath (Trip Hawkins interview)

Quick flick through...

3DO Retrospective - must admit never played on one of these
Urgh - I suppose it helps with revenue but practically 7 X-Box pages in a row advertising the XBox One - urrgh. Wouldnt be so bad if they were spread out more, tempted to rip some of them out !
MIner Willy 30 year Special - I'll love this !
History of Impossible Mission - Never got into this, looked great on the C64 but always thought the Speccy version was poor
C64 Games that time forgot - Looks like an interesting article, i'm a Speccy fan but this looks good
GTA III Making of - Looks good, play this a lot now on my ipad
Creating Chaos - Wish this game came to iOS. Classic game
Software Creations - Looks good, did some classics back in the 80's, always thought LED Storm on the Speccy was very underated
Making of MOVIE - Never got into this game on the Speccy, might be worth going back to
Forgotten Worlds - Love this on MAME

Next month - Story of Alex Kidd, Atari ST, Tempest 2000 Salamander, Cinemaware. Greatest budget games

Seems a decent issue for me, not too interested in the 3DO but i'll give it a go and might be converted. Now the controversy of the next issue, will it be a 'Xmas' type cover or not ! ;)

Kilb

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 122 Official feedback

Post by Kilb » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:28 am

Come on stoopid postman...
It's so annoying that I live just 7 miles from the subscription outlet, and I get mine late :(
RAZZIN... FRAZZIN...

merman

Post by merman » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:06 pm

Unfortunately I have spotted a small error in the C64 lost games article.

The Discovery Prospects text for 10th Dan is from the earlier Spectrum lost games article, which was used as a template for the new piece. I will put up a DVD extra thread with the correction and some additional text in the next few days.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Fawltykog

Post by Fawltykog » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:12 pm

Seriously a 7 page ad for the Xpox one? :roll:

First time i've felt let down by RG, one or two pages ok but seven...Jeez.

Just my opinion of course.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:43 pm

Fawltykog wrote:Seriously a 7 page ad for the Xpox one? :roll:

Yeah i'm not keen on it. Then again i suppose Microsoft etc must have paid a fair whack for that. Hopefully its just a one off though

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:03 pm

:shock:

<Faints>
<Wakes up>
Argh! I just had a nightmare that RG had a ton of XBone stuff in it. Phew, at least it's gone now I'm awake. I'll go and read what's really in it.

IT'S STILL THERE!

<Faints again>
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:00 pm

my issue has arrived.

the cover is dire, easily in the top 5 worst covers the mag has had. as somebody who was stupid enough to spend £400 on the woeful 3DO when it was 1st released im hoping the article isn't revisionist nonsense.

almost missed the Mercs piece with it being buried between an avalanche of adverts, had to check the contents to see if it was only 1 page as it really does look like half an article.

Will have a proper read through later but Impossible Mission, GTA 3, Chaos Engine and Forgotten Worlds all look ace.

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:47 pm

Fawltykog wrote:Seriously a 7 page ad for the Xpox one? :roll:

^^This, I mean bloody hell did you guys really have to? Last thing I want when opening up RG is for my eyes to be visually assaulted by a puke green MS advert for their crappy Xbone TV Box, I see enough adverts on the 360 as it is.

So to break it down, this month’s RG is the usual length at 114 pages, 2-3 obligatory pages at the very back with adverts as usual, plus another 7 for MS adverts, plus another 4 full page adverts of other stuff, that’s 11 whole pages not including the ones at the back. Yet the mag has not been given an extra 11-12 pages to offset this as its still only 114 pages long. These 11 pages could easily be another article or two.

I probably wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't for the Xbone adverts crap, either MS has bought your allegiance at RG HQ with a truck full of cash or you guys need the money badly because of falling readership numbers?

Not one to b**** and moan generally, but not impressed by this tbh, especially with some good stuff in it this month, think how much better it could have been with another article or two instead of 11 pages of adverts then some.

Nikolai

Post by Nikolai » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:10 pm

Looking forward to this issue, I don't think it's arrived on iPad yet? Need to check later if it's come some time since I checked this morning.:)

While I've waited for this issue, I bought the 200 page EDGE special with articles from their first year '93-'94. Nice to read retro in another way. Their sceptisism towards Jaguar and 3DO for example. And expectant previews of coming classics. Pure gold.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:44 pm

Not a massive amount in it for me this month but I look forward to reading the 3DO, Software Creations and Forgotten Worlds articles all the same.

Oh and here is the cover for those who want to see it:

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:17 pm

Now I've had a look at it, it looks like there is a lot of really good stuff in it (ignoring the evil Future Gamer pages).

I suppose if the loser of the next gen wants to pay for a mag about computers and gaming before they ruined everything, then I can't complain too much, as long as they paid a massive amount and it won't be a regular thing. If the adverts increased, but the page count went up, then that's okay.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:23 pm

Looking forward to this, the 3DO is one machine that I am sure I really would have loved at the time and indeed tried to purchase a few years ago only to see a couple of machines available on Ebay and for around about a million dollars each. But I might start hunting around again, I'm sure the RG article will fire me up again and want to get my hands on one.

darthsteve333

Post by darthsteve333 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:32 pm

Just thought I'd mention that I thought Stuart Lee's column was excellent this month - very poignant and a cracking read.

I did notice that was his penultimate column, which is a shame - any ideas why this is?

On the subject of the XBone ads, I was a bit surprised by the visual overload and the lengths to which Microsoft will go to try and win back custom, but can understand that advertising revenue is revenue, and if that means my favourite magazine can get published, its a pill I can swallow without too much difficulty.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:00 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote: the cover is dire, easily in the top 5 worst covers the mag has had.
I like it. It's a mimic of the FZ-1's original box with R.E.A.L substituted for T.R.I.P.

Then again I like the 3DO so reading more about it is something I look forward to.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:12 pm

Just got mine, can't believe it's out already?!!