Cracked / Torn Spines

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Timothy Lumsden

Re: Cracked / Torn Spines

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:59 am

Subs Manager wrote:Hi Timothy Lumsden,

I'm sorry to hear your copy has arrived damaged too :(

If you would like a replacement issue please email me on carly.archer@imagine-publishing.co.uk If you are able to also send me some photos of the damage that would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Carly
Thanks Carly, I'll email a pic

findon

Post by findon » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:35 am

Here I am again, issue 123 just turned up... and... worst tearing i've ever had. No damage to the outside bag, but a two inch tear across the cover that extends over the spine. Rather impressively this time the tear extends across the first few pages of the magazine as well!

smilertoo

Post by smilertoo » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:16 pm

Yikes, i just took the subscription offer...if the first one arrives like that i'll be cancelling it.
yes i have a sig.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:08 pm

i meant to post a thank you to Carly and Co for my replacement issue which arrive promptly - (sorry my thank you is so tardy) - appreciate the excellent service

cheers

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:24 pm

smilertoo wrote:Yikes, i just took the subscription offer...if the first one arrives like that i'll be cancelling it.
Its an occasional problem that the subs department have no issues sending out replacements for, so I wouldn't be so hasty.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

findon

Post by findon » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:54 am

So, all of my replacement issues arrived in great condition (thanks again Carly!).

This brings me to issue 124 which is the last one of my annual subscription. The condition is a massive improvement on issue 123, however a 2cm rip half way down the spine has managed to penetrate all the way through about 7 or 8 pages inside.

I just can't understand how this is happening, deeply frustrated. Very torn (haha!) on whether to renew my subscription or not, maybe just ordering from the newsagent would make more sense (if the problem occurs at my local post office sorting office).

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:57 am

Honestly I think it's that, I've never had an issue (with an issue LOL). I'd encourage anyone who has had an problem with more than one issue to write to Royal Mail to complain, including photos.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

dave3622

Post by dave3622 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:48 am

I have exactly the same problem with approximately half of the issues I receive having a crack in the spine. I had just put it down to the fact that my letterbox is 3 foot above floor level and the crack was due to the impact of it hitting the floor. It doesn't particularly bother me but it's interesting to hear that others have the same problem.

Arv

Post by Arv » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:06 am

Mine have been like this for quiet sometime, i thought is was the PO - but it seems not.. :(
SYS 32592

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:27 pm

this must be something to do with postage as i have never had a damaged copy in 3 years of buying it from my local newsagent. I get mine sent straight from suppliers to my newsagent and pick it up there and it is always pristine.
This guy are sick

Sokurah

Post by Sokurah » Mon May 12, 2014 6:53 pm

Just randomly stumbled over this thread and wanted to mention that I have the same problem.

Without actually checking my own magazines first I think they've been in okay for a while - perhaps something to do with the plastic bag they come in (because I'm overseas?), but I'd guess that I have at least 30-40 issues with cracked spines (none quite as bad as some of the pictures I've seen here, though). I never once thought it was related to them "dropping through the mailbox" but always blamed it on shoddy postal service.

I wonder what, or who, is causing it?
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games. All freeware for PC & Mac.
Twitter: Sokurah

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Mon May 12, 2014 7:56 pm

Sokurah wrote:Just randomly stumbled over this thread and wanted to mention that I have the same problem.

Without actually checking my own magazines first I think they've been in okay for a while - perhaps something to do with the plastic bag they come in (because I'm overseas?), but I'd guess that I have at least 30-40 issues with cracked spines (none quite as bad as some of the pictures I've seen here, though). I never once thought it was related to them "dropping through the mailbox" but always blamed it on shoddy postal service.

I wonder what, or who, is causing it?
I would maybe talk to your postman see if he can shed some light on the situation
This guy are sick

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Tue May 13, 2014 12:27 am

Are there different cost shipping options? Maybe try the higher one if you are getting it shipped?

I've been getting it shipped to New Zealand for 5 years now, and the 5 pound shipping option comes in a pretty sturdy, padded bag, and not once has there ever been even a single problem or crack on a spine in 65 odd-issues.