Retro Gamer Issue 121 Official feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

PostieDoc

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 121 Official feedback

Post by PostieDoc » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:21 am

quantum wrote:
sscott wrote:My mag still not turned up :( Never happened before!
I've had that a few times. You need to report it to the subs dept and they'll credit you.

Your postie is rich now - thanks to his shares - so maybe he's off looking at yachts or something? :mrgreen:

Bah, as if!
We can't sell them for three years and if we leave the job in that time (there will be many redundancies), we lose the shares.

:(

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:52 am

ncf1 wrote: And I really enjoyed the Minority Report - Actually the Atari 7800 rather resembles the look of a c64 in many ways, I think I might seek out an emulator and give a few of those games a shot, especially Ninja Golf and Scrapyard Dog
Glad you liked it, I recommend ProSystem Emulator, it works a treat :D

(I will ignore the C64 comment! :mrgreen: )

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:51 am

jdanddiet wrote:Hope you like your input to the Nigel Alderton article :mrgreen:
He's going to think I'm stalking him now. Good job I never asked why the 'redefine keys' system was so screwed up that you had to hack the game to make it playable with a joystick...

quantum

Post by quantum » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:38 am

PostieDoc wrote:
quantum wrote:
sscott wrote:My mag still not turned up :( Never happened before!
I've had that a few times. You need to report it to the subs dept and they'll credit you.

Your postie is rich now - thanks to his shares - so maybe he's off looking at yachts or something? :mrgreen:

Bah, as if!
We can't sell them for three years and if we leave the job in that time (there will be many redundancies), we lose the shares.

:(
Was just jesting! :mrgreen: Although surely they can't take your shares if you're forced out (through redundancy)?

How about a game screenshot quiz? Amiga, DOS, Megadrive and Commodore 64.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:41 am

Just finished the Bombuzal piece, nicely done. I remember when it came out, looking through the mags to see what games I should get next and seeing it get 97% in one mag... and 49% in another, and thinking huh?! Generally you could sort of tell at the time if a game would get a decent score just looking at the screenshot (generally) and you could tell Bombuzal would probably get around 85% - ish, yet I reckon the huge discrepancy could be due to the fact that some mags, as mentioned in the piece, got to design levels, and others didn't! So their plan worked in the end! Very clever indeed.

rockdjuk

Post by rockdjuk » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:29 am

Best issue for a long time ... And love that cover (despite being Zelda related)

About time the Atari 7800 got some love and especially Ninja Golf ... Why hasn't this had a full in depth feature ??

Would love to see more platform comparisons ... having never played Strider nor really having much of an interest I didn't really take much notice of the main article . Always love the comparisons though and it set me off searching for the original on my mame cabinet . Alas said game wouldn't work, However I have since spent the last two weeks upgrading said machine and hope to play Strider soon and then read the full article .

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:02 pm

Ninja Golf = AMAZING!
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:33 pm

Maybe I could do a "Making Of Ninja Golf" for a future issue of RG?

I know where the programmer is . . . .

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:35 pm

The Laird wrote:Maybe I could do a "Making Of Ninja Golf" for a future issue of RG?

I know where the programmer is . . . .
Nah, eff that. Here's a challenge for you, go and get a making of legendary axe 2, final match tennis and moto roader article instead. Then mr laird, you will indeed become a legend. To me anyway :lol:

Eat your nans pants

merman

Post by merman » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:49 am

ncf1 wrote:Just finished the Bombuzal piece, nicely done. I remember when it came out, looking through the mags to see what games I should get next and seeing it get 97% in one mag... and 49% in another, and thinking huh?! Generally you could sort of tell at the time if a game would get a decent score just looking at the screenshot (generally) and you could tell Bombuzal would probably get around 85% - ish, yet I reckon the huge discrepancy could be due to the fact that some mags, as mentioned in the piece, got to design levels, and others didn't! So their plan worked in the end! Very clever indeed.
Thanks, glad you liked it. It's a game I've always loved and wanted to get into the mag for a long time.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Boulder

Post by Boulder » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:38 pm

You definitely need to start using similar covers in the future. This one was the first one that my wife actually noticed when I was browsing through the pages first time on a lazy Saturday morning (I do tend to save the magazine for the weekend even if it arrives on Monday). Maybe it was the shiny look that caught her eye, don't know :wink:

Too bad there was very little about Octapolis in the English Software story, the developer, Jukka Tapanimäki, was one of the first famous Finnish ones along with Stavros Fasoulas. From what I've heard over the years and read from a Finnish Commodore magazine, he was later really screwed by Hewson, which probably contributed to his untimely death.

merman

Post by merman » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:05 pm

Boulder wrote:You definitely need to start using similar covers in the future. This one was the first one that my wife actually noticed when I was browsing through the pages first time on a lazy Saturday morning (I do tend to save the magazine for the weekend even if it arrives on Monday). Maybe it was the shiny look that caught her eye, don't know :wink:

Too bad there was very little about Octapolis in the English Software story, the developer, Jukka Tapanimäki, was one of the first famous Finnish ones along with Stavros Fasoulas. From what I've heard over the years and read from a Finnish Commodore magazine, he was later really screwed by Hewson, which probably contributed to his untimely death.
Octapolis is a fascinating little game, also enjoyed Netherworld and Zamzara that he created. I was sad to hear a few years ago that he had died.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:13 pm

Boulder wrote:Too bad there was very little about Octapolis in the English Software story, the developer, Jukka Tapanimäki, was one of the first famous Finnish ones along with Stavros Fasoulas. From what I've heard over the years and read from a Finnish Commodore magazine, he was later really screwed by Hewson, which probably contributed to his untimely death.
I did ask Philip about Jukka, but he never actually met him, as the game was submitted by post. It's a shame I coudn't find out more about him, sorry.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:14 pm

It was Tapanimäki's face on the Netherworld game cover. He also programmed Moonfall, a very interesting Elite-style game with 3D graphics. A very talented programmer.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

Boulder

Post by Boulder » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:31 pm

His first comment to Andrew Hewson on that cover was "I'll kill you" :mrgreen:

He wrote quite a lot in the few Finnish computer magazines (regarding game design, reviews etc.) and seemed to be a very keen gamer himself. It really is sad that he passed away since the Finnish scene was quite small in those days. I don't know if you've ever had Fasoulas or Jori Olkkonen (a former Finnish composer) in any article so I don't know if there are any good stories in the older magazines.