From the forum issue 122

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

From the forum issue 122

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:49 am

What's your favourite Apple II game? This is for the letters section.

markopoloman

Re: From the forum issue 122

Post by markopoloman » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:10 am

Never played an Apple II game. Never used an Apple II either! I guess the members from the USofA will be onto this more than the UK guys - and whilst their country is shut down, they should have plenty of time to reply :lol:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:42 am

The Apple II was never really much of an arcade powerhouse, but it developed a pretty solid reputation for strategy and adventure games. As such, I'll go for The Bard's Tale, a definitive example of the RPG genre that started life on it but soon spread to practically every format under the sun.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:59 am

Never played an Apple II game, but from what I've seen and read, Richard Garriot's games (Akalabeth and the Ultima series), also considered the early release, were really impressive.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:17 pm

I have touched an Apple clone _once_, but I will give it credit for a game originating there (and the same one running on said clone!):
Night Mission Pinball. All kinds of awesome, and needs its own article.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:40 pm

Ahh, my first love.. *snifs*. There is just something about Apple II games, something unique - I love the way they look and play, and for me it never gets old. I played most releases I would say, and in the end it would have to come down to Chivalry or Beyond Castle Wolfenstein, with perhaps Chivalry taking out the win by a nose. The original 'Mario Party' created decades before.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:14 pm

for me the apple 2 is a corner of gaming i will never get to experience, i looked a them, and its well into 3 figues and possibly more to buy it and games are £100+, not a console i could ever afford and goes against my idea of retro gaming which should be affordable

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:17 pm

The only game I ever saw, I'm not even sure I had a go(!), on an Apple 2 was in a computer shop. It was a side scrolling shmup. The player controlled the craft, looked a bit like a Space Shuttle, fired forwards and dropped bombs a la Scramble. Maybe called Star Blaster or Blazer?

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:22 pm

I may have seen an Apple two in a museum, but I've never known anyone have one, or played on one. I'm sure I know loads of games that originated on it, but I'll have played them on the C64 or Amiga, so it doesn't really count.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:24 pm

Mire Mare wrote:The only game I ever saw, I'm not even sure I had a go(!), on an Apple 2 was in a computer shop. It was a side scrolling shmup. The player controlled the craft, looked a bit like a Space Shuttle, fired forwards and dropped bombs a la Scramble. Maybe called Star Blaster or Blazer?

Star Blazer, by I think DataSoft. Great game!! One of my favourites, and I think the first game I ever 'beat', I think there were only 5 stages.. needed a few more.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:29 pm

markopoloman wrote:Never played an Apple II game. Never used an Apple II either! I guess the members from the USofA will be onto this more than the UK guys - and whilst their country is shut down, they should have plenty of time to reply :lol:
Same sadly

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:37 pm

I didn't know anybody with an Apple II, and all its best games, I played on my Commodore 64. I've played some through emulation since, and I would second The Bard's Tale as it's one of my favourite games anyway. But for this purpose, I'll go with Karateka.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:14 pm

Like many folks, it's a bit hard to come by Apple II machines in the UK, but various travels to the US have allowed me to sample some of the home computer's games. Especially when one ex-gf owned one and had it signed by Woz. The question is, picking something best on the Apple compared to other formats, or going with something exclusive? I think I'll plump for Oregon Trail. Hey, someone will probably nominate it, after all, it IS a classic heh...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:54 pm

I've never played one. Sorry to be cynical but the best Apple games came out on the 64 anyway.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:18 pm

I loved the Apple II. We were lucky enough to have them at our school, otherwise the price would have never allowed me to anywhere near one.
There were some fab games for it, IMO the best was Castle Wolfenstein.