What would you like to see in the Mag?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Spacepatrol

What would you like to see in the Mag?

Post by Spacepatrol » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:29 am

This month's issue seems to have generated more negative feedback than most, so I think it would be nice for us too make suggestions of what we would like to see in the mag. Obviously not all (or maybe none) of the ideas will be tajen on board, but it maybe useful for the team to see if any particles features are wanted by a large majority of readers: These are my suggestions:

1. The C64 demo scene, it is incredibly that coders can now get 128 colour hogh res images out of the good old bread bin
2. A much higher proportion of computer related articles, most of us in our 30's and 40's were brought up on 8 and 16 bit computers, but the core interest of the mag appears to be (Nintendo) consoles.
3. A return of the feature that compared games across several formats (Can't remember then name)
4. Retrospections of software houses showing every game with screen shots (Bigger than a postage stamp) and box art.
5. More Amiga
6. Some Vic 20
7. Proper reviews, in the style of Zzap/Crash/(What ever the Amstrad one was called)
8. An interview with Ashens
9. A feature on the game Mr. Robot
10. An article on the retro games available on Steam/GOG

flatapex

Re: What would you like to see in the Mag?

Post by flatapex » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:36 am

i think the amstrad mags were amtix, I have some copies upstairs.

I would love to see an article about sega vs nintendo, not a kind of which was better type thing but about what we all remember at the time and possibly perspectives of people working in games shops etc around 1992-1994

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:31 pm

Let's go through these then:

1. The C64 demo scene. No. While I find it interesting, I'd much rather have the page count spent on C64 gaming. If the demo coders applied their art and knocked out a game, then cover that.

2. A much higher proportion of computer related articles, most of us in our 30's and 40's were brought up on 8 and 16 bit computers, but the core interest of the mag appears to be (Nintendo) consoles.
Yes. But are we oldies the core readership? When's the last time a reader poll happened to guage the readership age and interests?

3. A return of the feature that compared games across several formats (Can't remember then name). Yes, I'd go with that.

4. Retrospections of software houses showing every game with screen shots (Bigger than a postage stamp) and box art. Yes please.

5. More Amiga. No, less Amiga, more Atari ST and other systems of the time.

6. Some Vic 20. Yes, but also the other 'lesser' systems (Dragon, Oric, ZX81 etc).

7. Proper reviews, in the style of Zzap/Crash/(What ever the Amstrad one was called). Hmm, maybe. We do have that a bit already.

8. An interview with Ashens. No. He gets more than enough exposure on the interwebs.

9. A feature on the game Mr. Robot. That might be good.

10. An article on the retro games available on Steam/GOG. Not sure this has legs, beyond reviewing the games there, which should happen anyway.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:43 pm

I think as it is, Darran and the crew do a fantastic job with the magazine, and I am just simply glad it exists. If I am going to offer an opinion though on what I would like to see more personally if I were to indulge for just a moment, I would say more Apple II stuff because Ive really enjoyed every article so far, and there are simply no books at all on Apple II games and the like. Of course though I totally understand the mag is UK-based, but as I said I am just indulging for a moment and being greedy.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:26 pm

I would go with more computer related articles over console.
When you look back at a year in the 90s you often focus mainly on console news. That is also a golden period for PC gaming so I would like to see the love spread out a bit more evenly.

Maybe a retrospective on the launch of Xbox and PS2, then 360/ PS3 and how that was supposed to spell the end of PC gaming? Would be good to hear how PC gaming overcame a very difficult period.
Would be interesting with the new consoles on the horizon and the doom mongers reappearing.

I would like to see more coverage of C16/ Plus/4 games.
I know quality wise they weren't nearly as good as Speccy and C64 but there were a lot of games released for them.

Have you ever done articles focusing on the classic magazines? It would be great to read about the likes of Zzap, Crash and Amiga Power. You could get the views of the editors and reviewers from then on what it was like to be covering a great time for gaming.

Still, it's a great magazine and I look forward to my copy plonking down on my doormat every month.

merman

Post by merman » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:00 am

PostieDoc, there have been features on old magazines but these are tough features to put together.

Spacepatrol, retro games on Steam/GOG are regularly listed in the retro reviews at the back of the mag when space allows.

As for getting more box art and screenshots for company articles - to make it clear, the magazine has a policy that does not allow the writers to source screenshots and artwork from Internet sites without permission. So we either have to track down original boxes, hardware and magazines to scan/photograph, or get in touch with the original company and rely on them to provide artwork.

Take my recent Zeppelin/Eutechnyx article - the company supplied some of the more recent artwork and screenshots, I scanned several items from my personal collection and took the rest of the screenshots in emulation. (I actually provided more than 60 screenshots and scans towards the final layout). That's why these articles don't always feature hundreds of illustrations.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:18 am

I'm happy with the current spread of content.
Thoughts and prayers.

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:14 am

ncf1 wrote:I would say more Apple II stuff because Ive really enjoyed every article so far, and there are simply no books at all on Apple II games and the like. Of course though I totally understand the mag is UK-based, but as I said I am just indulging for a moment and being greedy.
I think you'll enjoy issue 122. :)

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:27 pm

I know there used to be a section about collectors but how about a page a month focusing on a q and a with maybe 2 or 3 volunteers, and rather than someone who has 500 games for one system just ordinary people who genuinely enjoy retro gaming rather than have one of everything ever made

PanzerGeneral

Post by PanzerGeneral » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:50 pm

More Mario and console stuff and less of that 8 and 16 bit filth, I mean-who is really interested in that guff?

c'mon- lets hear it for Sonic,Dr Robotnick,Mario,Wario,Luigi and Yoshi!

Some coverage of computer sports games such as cricket, american football, water polo, vole tossing, member manipulation etc would also be much appreciated.

Some features on the true legends of the retro scene would also be great , Bertrand Mcnaughty-the barber who used to trim Sir Clive Sinclair's extrenuous ear and nasal hair would be a god place to start.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:16 pm

Since I purchased an XE Game System I have really been getting into the Atari 8-bit so I would love to see more of that. Especially given that it was also a pretty successful computer, it finished 4th in the UK 8-bit wars but was very popular in the US, Germany and Eastern Europe.

I had a Speccy as a kid and never knew anyone with a A8 so didn't play on one until many years later. I got a 2600 a year after the Speccy so I also had console and a machine that loaded games instantly. I now realise that had I got an A8 back in the day I would have had the best of both worlds - a computer that was also a console (or the other way round in the case of the XEGS)

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:17 pm

Rory Milne wrote:
ncf1 wrote:I would say more Apple II stuff because Ive really enjoyed every article so far, and there are simply no books at all on Apple II games and the like. Of course though I totally understand the mag is UK-based, but as I said I am just indulging for a moment and being greedy.
I think you'll enjoy issue 122. :)
This is making me happy. Very happy. :)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:13 am

ncf1 wrote:I think as it is, Darran and the crew do a fantastic job with the magazine, and I am just simply glad it exists. If I am going to offer an opinion though on what I would like to see more personally if I were to indulge for just a moment, I would say more Apple II stuff because Ive really enjoyed every article so far, and there are simply no books at all on Apple II games and the like. Of course though I totally understand the mag is UK-based, but as I said I am just indulging for a moment and being greedy.
You're allowed to be self indulgent, the title is what do you want to see in the mag! :wink:

But I agree on both counts; I love the Apple II and would like to see more on it, but I also agree the crew do a fab job in the impossible task of pleasing all the people all the time! This months issue was not my total cup of tea (although there's still interest in there for me), but as the last dozen odd have been gems for me personally I can't complain!

What would I like to see? Maybe some lesser covered beasts like Oric, Vic 20, The Texas Instrument computers. More handheld/stand alone/tabletops and the associated companies like Casio, Bandai etc. 'Clone' machines, and some really obscure like V tech creativision, and other 'multi badged' machines like Arcadia 2001.

...And that suggested feature on pre videogame mechanical games :)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:55 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Let's go through these then:

1. The C64 demo scene. No. While I find it interesting, I'd much rather have the page count spent on C64 gaming. If the demo coders applied their art and knocked out a game, then cover that.
Agree with that, the mags meant to be about retro games not retro demos. I thought the same thing back in the 80's, shame these people didnt put their effort into games instead of flashing colourful borders with tunes ! Big no to an article on demos

TMR

Post by TMR » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:47 am

psj3809 wrote:I thought the same thing back in the 80's, shame these people didnt put their effort into games instead of flashing colourful borders with tunes !
Demo coding is a lot more complicated than that... if anything it can be one of the more "hardcore" programming disciplines at least on the 8-bit computers.

And a few sceners wrote games as well, just not always under the pseudonyms or group names they used for demos; there are games by Compunetters like Ash&Dave, Ian&Mic, Mat Sneape or Stoat&Tim as well as from demo/cracking crews like Ikari, Boys Without Brains, 1001 Crew or Fairlight.

Some of the people from the commercial side of things wrote a few demos; Tony Crowther, Ben Daglish, Rob Hubbard, Jeff Minter and David Whittaker all produced a couple of demos each for Compunet, the Maniacs Of Noise is basically Scoop Designs' music department and even Manfred "Turrican" Trenz tried his hand...