Retro Gamer Issue 120 - Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
jdanddiet
Posts: 9013
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:03 am
Location: Essex
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 120 - Feedback Thread

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:19 am

The developer of Dreamweb has agreed to be interviewed and also says he has loads of unseen development stuff.

So we do listen to readers :-)
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

User avatar
markopoloman
Posts: 11657
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:03 pm
Location: Poole, Dorset

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 120 - Feedback Thread

Post by markopoloman » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:31 am

I'm just happy that RG is still going! There are regularly articles I have no interest in but I still start reading them. If I don't like it, I'll stop and move onto the next one!
As for the cover - it is indeed a jolly rubbish one! But it will go in my RG binder and never be seen again.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

rockdjuk
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:31 am

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 120 - Feedback Thread

Post by rockdjuk » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:45 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
rockdjuk wrote:
Overall I think the amount of times Darran has leaped to the magazines defence in this thread (much more than usual) shows that it really isn't the strongest issue .
I'm leaping to the defence of the mag because I'm passionate about the work we do and don't like seeing it bashed for no other reason than 'Wah I don't like Nintendo so I'm not reading this article'.

Constructive feedback is fine and helpful. Feedback like what you've given isn't as useful as we can't change the fact you don't personally like things. I wish we could, but we can't. Way of the exploding fist wasn't important in the same way Yie-Ar Kung Fu, IK+ or Kung Fu were so it's not covered as much. When you have limited space to cover an entire genre you need to get the most important stuff in. Nintendo gets a lot of coverage because it's a huge deal with a heritage that most companies can only dream of. It's also popular and popular stuff helps sell magazines, which are in decline at the moment. More importantly, they are one of the few publishers who rerelease games, which allows us to do tie in coverage. We wanted to do a piece on Castle of Illusion for example, but Sega couldn't get us content so it didn't happen.

I'm creating this magazine all on my own at the moment and it's very stressful and incredibly hard work. I've lost a relative and quite frankly I'm tired of being constantly kicked for no valid reason. I'm going to take a leaf out of the books of other editors now and simply leave the forum to its members. I'm fully aware that you've all spent your hard-earned cash and are entitled to your opinion and I'm fine with that, but at the moment I don't have the energy to deal with baseless complaints.
I'm sorry for your loss Darran and realise it must be stressful especially at such a time to see your hard work knocked .

However this is a thread asking for people thoughts and those are my thoughts . You cant throw your dummy out just because you dont agree . I am a customer after all and I'm not happy with the direction my favourite magazine seems to be taking . it's not a personal attack on you at all, If it comes across that way then I apologise .

I dont think my "complaints" (I prefer observations) were baseless , I have read every mag from issue one and over time the Nintendo coverage has been upped to the point that it now dominates the magazine . Its not that i don't like Nintendo , I'm just fed up of endless articles about them and games I've never even heard of. I would also argue that exploding fist was way more important as it was the first beat em up to explode on the home computer formats . Although it does seem to me that home computers seem to play second fiddle to consoles in the mag these days . There's also no getting away from the fact that yie ar kung fu was a terrible game .

Will the castle of Illusion article appear at any point ?

User avatar
Nemesis
Posts: 1967
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:55 am
Location: Norwich, UK

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 120 - Feedback Thread

Post by Nemesis » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:56 am

rockdjuk wrote:I would also argue that exploding fist was way more important as it was the first beat em up to explode on the home computer formats . Although it does seem to me that home computers seem to play second fiddle to consoles in the mag these days . There's also no getting away from the fact that yie ar kung fu was a terrible game .

Will the castle of Illusion article appear at any point ?
Yie Ar Kung Fu may seem terrible today but it was the first game to introduce female combatants & projectiles that weren't featured in fighting games previously.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

User avatar
Eric
Posts: 673
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 120 - Feedback Thread

Post by Eric » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:28 pm

Appart from The Sims (never seen it is a game as such) I think this is a really strong issue.

The cover is only let down by the bright circuit board design that overwhelms it. Perhaps a dark blue circuits to match the games title screen? The RG logo in red on black is very striking and the grey scan lines background is also cool. An added Street Fighter character could have attracted more attention on the shelves. From the alternative covers I really liked the bright and colourfull Earthworm Jim cover.

Always nice to see Amstrad popping up as it always takes a bashing. There's plenty of content with Oddworld, Access, Shadowrun, Colin Porch (nice photos at his desk), Myth and the mini Strider article in the News section.

Future Classic has never been a favourite of mine but can't really argue with RDR as a selection. Been trying to think of an alternative to Future Classic, maybe a 2 page article that compares modern remakes to their originals. There's surely plenty of games for this like recent Flashback, Ducktales, Turtles? and eventually Strider.

A very strong issue.

User avatar
ncf1
Posts: 1255
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:04 am
Location: Australia

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 120 - Feedback Thread

Post by ncf1 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:49 pm

I personally felt it was a mediocre cover followed by a strong issue; as opposed to last month, and 2 months previous where I felt a strong cover followed a mediocre issue strewn with bits of both strong features and mediocre features. I feel that if they left out the mediocre bits it certainly would make for a stronger issue; but having said that a string of mediocre, strong, strong, strong, mediocre, mediocre, strong and strong issues more than warrants hearty congratulations and high fives for a job well done. Except for, of course, the mediocre bits. They really shouldn't be so damn mediocre! I do find though, that a strong cover often follows with positive feedback but I feel this is more illusory than anything; I feel it is very influential to readers and rarely do you find such readers reporting that their issue has a strong cover yet mediocre content. In fact I find that stance alone mediocre. Steeped in mediocrity, in fact.

Now I shall read the magazine. :)

flatapex
Posts: 2705
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 6:30 pm
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 120 - Feedback Thread

Post by flatapex » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:20 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
rockdjuk wrote:
Overall I think the amount of times Darran has leaped to the magazines defence in this thread (much more than usual) shows that it really isn't the strongest issue .
I'm leaping to the defence of the mag because I'm passionate about the work we do and don't like seeing it bashed for no other reason than 'Wah I don't like Nintendo so I'm not reading this article'.

Constructive feedback is fine and helpful. Feedback like what you've given isn't as useful as we can't change the fact you don't personally like things. I wish we could, but we can't. Way of the exploding fist wasn't important in the same way Yie-Ar Kung Fu, IK+ or Kung Fu were so it's not covered as much. When you have limited space to cover an entire genre you need to get the most important stuff in. Nintendo gets a lot of coverage because it's a huge deal with a heritage that most companies can only dream of. It's also popular and popular stuff helps sell magazines, which are in decline at the moment. More importantly, they are one of the few publishers who rerelease games, which allows us to do tie in coverage. We wanted to do a piece on Castle of Illusion for example, but Sega couldn't get us content so it didn't happen.

I'm creating this magazine all on my own at the moment and it's very stressful and incredibly hard work. I've lost a relative and quite frankly I'm tired of being constantly kicked for no valid reason. I'm going to take a leaf out of the books of other editors now and simply leave the forum to its members. I'm fully aware that you've all spent your hard-earned cash and are entitled to your opinion and I'm fine with that, but at the moment I don't have the energy to deal with baseless complaints.
I've not read the mag yet (its difficult round here to get a copy but i will asap) and therefore cant leap to its defence, I think some people need to ease up on Darran though. The mag cant be that bad if its the first mag I have bought regularly for over a decade.

I have been into sega stuff since it was out originally, and I'll admit I dont like nintendo all that much, I have a fondness for the 2d mario games but as a sega man I feel that my consoles of choice are seen as the poor man's choice, well good I pay less for my games so nerr. If the cover isnt to your taste thats fine, open up the magazine and read the articles, thats what you pay £5 for. If there wasnt loads of nintendo coverage there would be uproar and no-one wants to get the wrong side of nintendo fanboys, I dont mind I will just put my fingers in my ears and repeat 'sonic is better' over and over. a castle of illusion feature for example would be great, I think more of us need to get off our backsides and work towards making these things happen, I got into the mag because of the master system article, it is what I consider to be a reference guide to a console I collect heavily for and exactly the sort of thing r.g is supposed to be for. we cant expect miracles and then moan when they dont happen, if we want a mag that is about us rather than moaning about things we need to be prepared to be part of it and contribute.
We cant expect a mag thats written by one person and then moan when the one person has a different opinion, get off your backsides people
Image

User avatar
Rory Milne
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:49 am

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 120 - Feedback Thread

Post by Rory Milne » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:15 pm

flatapex wrote: I've not read the mag yet (its difficult round here to get a copy but i will asap) and therefore cant leap to its defence, I think some people need to ease up on Darran though. The mag cant be that bad if its the first mag I have bought regularly for over a decade.

I have been into sega stuff since it was out originally, and I'll admit I dont like nintendo all that much
Hopefully you'll enjoy my Sega themed Unconverted this month flatapex. If so, it's worth pointing out that it was Darran that commissioned it. Credit where credit is due and all that.

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 120 - Feedback Thread

Post by The Laird » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:10 am

I always like unconverted, one of the best things in the mag.

User avatar
HalcyonDaze00
Posts: 4621
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:20 pm

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 120 - Feedback Thread

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:59 am

just read the interview with Colin Perch, Tommy Barton sounds like a complete cnut
Last edited by HalcyonDaze00 on Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Spacepatrol
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:20 am
Location: Sheffield, UK

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 120 - Feedback Thread

Post by Spacepatrol » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:19 am

Darren: Thank you for replying to my feedback. I think we should all be grateful that the editor of out favourite magazine listens to us, and takes on feedback from the readers.

There are always going to be articles that are not related to games/systems that we are not interested in, and that is not the nature of a multi-format magazine. Sometimes the articles of games I have not played end being the most interesting, and I will go on to play the game.

I do think however there seems to a general consensus that there is far too much Nintendo in the magazine -Mojo is a magazine mostly about old music, but it does not feature the Beatles every week. Nintendo is a large proportion of the Entertainment industry and even though I have owned most of their systems, I do not think they play are large a proportion of the retro games scene as the magazine seems to think. Can we please have an issue without mention of Mario, Zelda, SFII or the god awful Metroid series.

I have a horrible feeling next month's cover is going to be Legend of Wind Waker?? :(

I also think it is a good thing that issue has created a lot of debate. It is much worse for the magazine if readers are apathetic than if they are passionately critical

User avatar
Nemesis
Posts: 1967
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:55 am
Location: Norwich, UK

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 120 - Feedback Thread

Post by Nemesis » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:30 pm

Spacepatrol wrote:
I do think however there seems to a general consensus that there is far too much Nintendo in the magazine -Mojo is a magazine mostly about old music, but it does not feature the Beatles every week. Nintendo is a large proportion of the Entertainment industry and even though I have owned most of their systems, I do not think they play are large a proportion of the retro games scene as the magazine seems to think. Can we please have an issue without mention of Mario, Zelda, SFII or the god awful Metroid series.

I have a horrible feeling next month's cover is going to be Legend of Wind Waker?? :(

I also think it is a good thing that issue has created a lot of debate. It is much worse for the magazine if readers are apathetic than if they are passionately critical
100% this!

As much I enjoyed this issue, once again we have an article on the Legend of Zelda. Please, please can there be one issue without Link or Mario in it? I too have a bad feeling about the next issue...
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

User avatar
ncf1
Posts: 1255
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:04 am
Location: Australia

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 120 - Feedback Thread

Post by ncf1 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:41 pm

Archville wrote:I think Strider is one of the most over rated games of all time.. seriously, what's so good about it? The first level is dull and has horrible music, level two is admitted ly good, but then it goes downhill from there on. Osman (Cannon Dancer) by the same developer is a much better game. Will still be interested to see how the reboot turns out, though I am starting to lose the excitement for remakes now as they always turn out to be a disappointment - or at best some fun for a day or two.
Strider... OVERRATED? Huh? "Seriously, what's so good about it?" you say? Seriously, do you have eyes and ears, is what I must ask in return? Strider is a piece of art -- *ART* -- and is amazing in every way and I would say you come from a completely different universe to the one I am in because to slap the horribly overused term "overrated" on a game like Strider is, to me, borderline retarded.

User avatar
nakamura
Posts: 7582
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:32 pm
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 120 - Feedback Thread

Post by nakamura » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:32 pm

Nemesis wrote:
Spacepatrol wrote:
I do think however there seems to a general consensus that there is far too much Nintendo in the magazine -Mojo is a magazine mostly about old music, but it does not feature the Beatles every week. Nintendo is a large proportion of the Entertainment industry and even though I have owned most of their systems, I do not think they play are large a proportion of the retro games scene as the magazine seems to think. Can we please have an issue without mention of Mario, Zelda, SFII or the god awful Metroid series.

I have a horrible feeling next month's cover is going to be Legend of Wind Waker?? :(

I also think it is a good thing that issue has created a lot of debate. It is much worse for the magazine if readers are apathetic than if they are passionately critical
100% this!

As much I enjoyed this issue, once again we have an article on the Legend of Zelda. Please, please can there be one issue without Link or Mario in it? I too have a bad feeling about the next issue...
Nintendo sells though, does nobody understand that? People that know there is a new Wind Waker game coming out are more likely to pic up an issue with a massive feature about how the game was made in it. It makes sense to cover an older game with a huge sequel or a remake. Retro Gamer is a business first and foremost.

Shadowrun is also not a Nintendo game, merely on a Nintendo format. A new game came out and this is the origin on the franchise. If it was made for the MD first, it would have been featured on that console.

It's clear that the people here being overly critical have no idea how to make a magazine. Articles don't just present themselves from month to month. That's why some months are 8bit centric, 16bit etc, it's just how they all roll together.

DreamcastRIP, yes I know you are reading this. Good on you for cancelling your sub and well done for pouring all of your so called knowledge into trying to make the magazine better. I saw all of those articles you wrote and those developers you spoken to, oh wait, no. Instead you just sat at your keyboard, alone, whilst continually trying to bring others down. Well done there, what a way to ensure the retro community works together to produce a high quality publications. And don't say we don't work together, The Laird is a prime example of this, regularly in the magazine with good quality articles. Perhaps if you had done the same and passed on your knowledge, people wouldn't treat you with such contempt.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

User avatar
HalcyonDaze00
Posts: 4621
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:20 pm

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 120 - Feedback Thread

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:38 pm

is DreamcastRIP back then? its good news if his ban has been revoked.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests