Retro Gamer Issue 120 - Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Laird

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 120 - Feedback Thread

Post by The Laird » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:33 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
The Laird wrote: Anyway, well done as always to everyone involved and I really look forward to next month's issue, it sounds absolutely cracking!
What even an article on a GameCube game? ;)
I can let that slip when there are other articles to balance it out :mrgreen:

Really looking forward to the 3DO, Bombuzal, Compilation King and Rambo articles. They all sound superb!

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:51 pm

Did I just read in the new RG Newsletter than there will be a new Shadow Of The Beast coming out?? Good lord.. this has me milking up fervently.. like I have not done in a long time..

I think the wife and kids will be staying at home and sitting still on the couch until it comes about. Everyone is to sit still and not make a move, or a sound.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:16 pm

The Laird wrote: Really looking forward to the 3DO, Bombuzal, Compilation King and Rambo articles. They all sound superb!
I think you'll like next month's From the Archives piece too... ;]

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:37 pm

Thought the 3DO piece was supposed to be in this issue? Has it slipped?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:58 pm

Yes. It will be issue 122 now. I want to ensurewe get a strong interview with trip. The article itself is great, having been written by wil. Just want a little more content for it.

Spacepatrol

Post by Spacepatrol » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:46 pm

I'm really sorry and ready for all of the down votes and negative karma I'm anout to get (Oops it's not reddit), but this is really the worst issue in a long time and (along with my waning interest) has me made me seriously consider cancelling my sub.

My problems:

1. The cover: How did anyone think this was a good idea, is the art director on holiday this month, it truly is awful and sets the tone for the rest of the issue
2. The Sims: The grandfather of pointless casual gaming
3. Screen shots: Double page Atari 2600 screenshots that look like abstract modern art gone wrong and then other screenshots so small that they make me worry about my failing eyesite
4. 2 pointless list articles
5. Has there ever been an issue without mention of Street Fighter, Mario and Zelda
6. Your Video Game icons: This is not smash hits magazine
7. Hall of Brawlers: See above
8. The Reviews/Homebrew sections: Why can't you stick to a review/score format across these sections. The last page doesn't make sense, are the games all for XBLIG or are some for PC, or homebrew. The flashboredom bit is written in an unreadable tiny font, and a coloured background, nut this could be my fading eyesite again.
9. Repetition: The same games -with particular bias for Nintendo appear again, and again when there are thousands of games that have never (or on briefly) had any column inches at all. I would love to see California Games, Stuntcar Racer, Faery Tale Adventure, Delta, Star Force, Rollerball,The Chaos Engone, Dreamweb, FOFT, Piball Dreams; and this is without getting into the obscure 8/16-bit stuff. I would also not have an issue with more PS1. Xbox, even PS2.
Sorry to be so negative, but it is only because I want the magazine to improve.

The things I enjoyed/am looking forward to:
1. Ian Leigh's article was so true
2. Odd World: Love these games
3. Shadowrun: Never played and looks like a great article -despite the cover
4. Famicon Disk System Hidden Gems
5. The Beach Head article

I really don't want to cancel my sub, but I have gone from excitement when a new issue arrives, to still reading most articles, and now I read only 30% of an issue. Maybe it is my love or gaming that is dying?

I'm off to play Pschonaughts! :)

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:55 pm

Hit and miss for me this month (and probably a little more miss than hit).

Miss
I will join the pitchfork wielding mob who are after the art directors head for that cover. It truly is terrible.
Shadowrun as a covergame seems a bit odd, but maybe thats just because I haven't played it.
Haven't we had quite a few Earthworm Jim articles? Again, may just seem that way to me as I wasn't a megadriver.
The Sims. A dragged out franchise that has not evolved. I can't get excited enough to read a long article about it.

Hit
Oddworld - About time this fantastic series got a feature
Access Software- I liked quite a few of their games so look forward to that piece

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:04 pm

I'm sorry you feel that way spacepatrol, but we have to make a magazine that tries to appeal to everyone. It's inevitable that some months won't be to everyone's tastes. A lot of the obscure games youve mentioned have been covered in the mag before and we have a chaos engine article in issue 122. As for covering popular stuff, all magazines do it, because you need to retain a readership. Can you imagine a music mag only ever doing one beatles article? That would be commercial suicide and annoy those that missed it.
As for lists. Some people love them, some hate them. Again, it's impossible to please everyone.

And of course you're not going to be criticised. You clearly care about the magazine and feel strongly about the currentissue to write about it. I do think though that you're being particularly harsh on the sims mind. It's an incredibly important game and millions love it, it's not our fault you don't like the game. Many of your points dps, lists etc have been addressed in the past, so it seems silly to repeat the reasons while we do them yet again.

Ultimately only you can decide how much worth something is to you. Feedback is always useful especially when it is constructive. Thanks for taking the time to get it off your chest (although I doubt you're going to be a fan of our next planned cover...)

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:06 pm

SirClive wrote:Hit and miss for me this month (and probably a little more miss than hit).

Miss
I will join the pitchfork wielding mob who are after the art directors head for that cover. It truly is terrible.
Shadowrun as a covergame seems a bit odd, but maybe thats just because I haven't played it.
Haven't we had quite a few Earthworm Jim articles? Again, may just seem that way to me as I wasn't a megadriver.
The Sims. A dragged out franchise that has not evolved. I can't get excited enough to read a long article about it.

Hit
Access Software- I liked quite a few of their games so look forward to that piece
We,ve done a making of earthworm jim about 5 years ago. As for sims. 4 pages is hardly a long article ;p

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:00 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Yes. It will be issue 122 now. I want to ensurewe get a strong interview with trip. The article itself is great, having been written by wil. Just want a little more content for it.
Glad you got Will to do it, I knew he would be the right man for the job. And good to hear you got Trip on board too, look forward to it. I don't own a 3DO but the machine has always interested me, especially as it was by the same design team as the Atari Lynx.
mikeb wrote:
The Laird wrote: Really looking forward to the 3DO, Bombuzal, Compilation King and Rambo articles. They all sound superb!
I think you'll like next month's From the Archives piece too... ;]
You tease!!!!! I need to know now!!!! :o

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:03 pm

Looking forward to reading The Sims feature and videogame icons. But that cover? Not that it matters but I think it is one of the least memorable covers RG has ever had. Not sure it will attract too many new readers in WH Smiths. Anyway, I will get stuck in at the weekend.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:09 pm

Spacepatrol wrote:I would love to see Dreamweb
funny you should mention that game - one of the articles that escapes your ire and praise this month is the making of myth which was developed by creative reality and published by system 3. Creative Reality went on to develop a number of games for the PC, Amiga and Playstation including - you guessed it - Dreamweb!

I've already asked the relevant people so watch this space...
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:17 pm

Spacepatrol wrote:I'm really sorry and ready for all of the down votes and negative karma I'm anout to get (Oops it's not reddit), but this is really the worst issue in a long time and (along with my waning interest) has me made me seriously consider cancelling my sub.
1. The cover: How did anyone think this was a good idea, is the art director on holiday this month, it truly is awful and sets the tone for the rest of the issue
Harsh. The Shadowrun logo art is superb, as is the cool hacking background. It would have been better if the background went all the way up but it's not awful. A bit jarring.
2. The Sims: The grandfather of pointless casual gaming
13 years old and the biggest selling PC game of all time. It's extremely important social gaming, like it or not. Did you actually read the feature? I often find when I read something I have no interest in, I find interesting anecdotes or facts linked to games I love.
3. Screen shots: Double page Atari 2600 screenshots that look like abstract modern art gone wrong and then other screenshots so small that they make me worry about my failing eyesite
Hadly the end of the world.
4. 2 pointless list articles
I like these. It is easy reading when you want to pick the magazine, or any magazine up for a thumb. It's a welcome change of pace. Should they be removed because you don't like them? What about readers that do?
5. Has there ever been an issue without mention of Street Fighter, Mario and Zelda
I have been recently reading through old Nintendo magaziens Total! and Super Play. Every single fighting game reviewed or previewed was compared to Street Fighter 2. Every platformer compared to Mario. I think you get what I am saying. It's almost impossible to not mention them. Imagine a new reader thumbs through the magazine and reads the feature and doesn't see the game mention. They would think the writers are crazy, stupid and hardly worth the money. Popularity does this to media.
6. Your Video Game icons: This is not smash hits magazine
7. Hall of Brawlers: See above
Again for me it's nice, light reading. Pity you aren't keen.
8. The Reviews/Homebrew sections: Why can't you stick to a review/score format across these sections. The last page doesn't make sense, are the games all for XBLIG or are some for PC, or homebrew. The flashboredom bit is written in an unreadable tiny font, and a coloured background, nut this could be my fading eyesite again.
Certainly a valid comment.
9. Repetition: The same games -with particular bias for Nintendo appear again, and again when there are thousands of games that have never (or on briefly) had any column inches at all. I would love to see California Games, Stuntcar Racer, Faery Tale Adventure, Delta, Star Force, Rollerball,The Chaos Engone, Dreamweb, FOFT, Piball Dreams; and this is without getting into the obscure 8/16-bit stuff. I would also not have an issue with more PS1. Xbox, even PS2.
Sorry to be so negative, but it is only because I want the magazine to improve.
Nintendo will appear, they are the largest company in the history of gaming. No other company has produced hardware as long as they have. Yes there are plenty of games to be covered and no doubt will get covered. The problem is that these articles to not write themselves. Also, unless you want lightweight content bases on common knowledge, you need to track down developers, publishers etc which at times is much easier said than done. It's incredibly difficult trying to balance articles that will sell the magazine to the general public, appeal to 30+ gamers, appeal to 20+ gamers, appeal to fans of home computer games and appeal to console gamers.

1. Ian Leigh's article was so true
So many people seem to dislike his page.
2. Odd World: Love these games
Good games. Always helps when there is an article on something you love.
3. Shadowrun: Never played and looks like a great article -despite the cover
Kudos to you for reading it. I know many do not read what they are not nostalgic about. Cracking game.
4. Famicon Disk System Hidden Gems
5. The Beach Head article
Etc.
I really don't want to cancel my sub, but I have gone from excitement when a new issue arrives, to still reading most articles, and now I read only 30% of an issue. Maybe it is my love or gaming that is dying?

I'm off to play Pschonaughts! :)
It's a pity you feel this way, the same with many others. Based on what I have said, what would you say is the answer for the magazine? Now remember I really enjoy some of the things you hate and I know other members would be mortified to see more PS2 era content. If you get your way, other members would surely cancel their subscriptions? How can the magazine please everyone? Or should it be renamed Space Patrol Gamer? :)

The word I would suggest though is objectivity. This is something so many here seem to have no grasp of. If something is of no personal value, it doesn't mean there is no merit in it at all. Like you, The Sims is of little personal interest to me as a game. However the article was interesting and full of information I had no idea about. When reading the magazine, I go into each article with an open mind. I don't want to gush over my favourite games, I can start a forum topic to do that. It's a pity others seem to be unable to do this.

Finally have a look at general magazine ABC figures. It shows in some areas a 25% decline is sales. Retro Gamer is a magazine that is battling well against these trends. It would be a pity if we lost it, even if it's not always perfect.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/media- ... om-digital
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:26 pm

The Laird wrote:You tease!!!!! I need to know now!!!! :o
You'll find out when the postie slips on his jet-boots and pops round your house, via Henry's ;)

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:35 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
SirClive wrote:Hit and miss for me this month (and probably a little more miss than hit).

Miss

Hit
We,ve done a making of earthworm jim about 5 years ago. As for sims. 4 pages is hardly a long article ;p
Fair enough, it seemed only a short while ago for Jim (maybe you had an interview with Dave Perry or something that confused (it's easy to confuse me these days).

As for the Sims, 10 years ago I may have been happy with that article, but the world moved on and that game didn't so I have a particular distaste for its money grabbing shenanigans. Not the articles fault.