Retro Gamer Issue 120 - Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Retro Gamer Issue 120 - Feedback Thread

Post by psj3809 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:04 am

Just come through the door. Front cover is for Shadowrun, somehow dont really know about that game.

News - Small interview about the new Strider game
Shadowrun feature - Again dont know much about this, shall read the article and perhaps try this game later
Earthworm Jim - Looking forward to this
History in the making - Feature about Myth, classic late game on the Speccy, looking forward to this
Videogame Icons - Features many of the legends, eg Sonic, Pacman and others. Looks good
Feature on Access Software - Loved Beach Head, Raid over Moscow back in the day
Abe's Oddysee feature
Evolution of Beat em ups
The Sims feature
Interview with Colin Porch (Imagine)
Homebrew - Good to see Jonathan Cauldwell in it

Next month Legend of Zelda - Wind waker on the Gamecube
Nigel Alderson, Compilation feature, Rambo special

ArchaicKoala

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 120 - Feedback Thread

Post by ArchaicKoala » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:20 am

Finger crossed that my copy is waiting for me when I get home, I'm looking forward to reading the Beat'em up article :D

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:41 am

My copy just arrived.

The cover, deary me. In an issue that features the best ever gaming characters and the best beat-em-ups that half ar5ed shadowrun cover is an epic fail and a missed opportunity on a massive scale. The cover that shows the character select screen could have been great filled with loads of fighters from various games.

No surprises to see this forums votes being conveniently ignored in the gaming icons article, several who scored very highly (Guybrush,Gordon Freeman etc) are included in what looks like a token gesture while Nintendo have a whole two pages. Shameful.

Despite the shambolic cover and Pravda like Icons piece the issue looks pretty good.

Noticed that Megatraveller gets a mention, loved this game, its an underrated RPG classic so great to see it in the mag.

Will have a proper read through this afternoon.

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:53 am

No surprises to see this forums votes being conveniently ignored in the gaming icons article, several who scored very highly (Guybrush,Gordon Freeman etc) are included in what looks like a token gesture while Nintendo have a whole two pages. Shameful.
Thats the first time I've ever heard of Guybrush Threepwood being a gaming icon. Really?

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:05 am

Ooooh something to look forward to when I get home. Normally I'm a few issues behind, but I just finished last month's last night.

Cover:

You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:06 am

In the point n click genre, he's one of a select few. I've still never got round to the games but know Guybrush pretty well.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:08 am

the cover is terrible..I'm not a fan of Shadowrun, but this isn't why I'm knocking it..from a design aspect..very lazy..I bet the the covers they didn't use are probably better than the present one ..oh well can't win them all of the time..but I like what's inside this months issue :)
↓↓Click Link to See More
[url=http://www.greyfoxbooks.com[/url]

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:46 am

I never played Shadowrun but I like the cover - it's actually rather striking and the photo doesn't really do it justice. Looking forward to reading the Myth and Colin Porch articles among others.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:00 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:My copy just arrived.

The cover, deary me. In an issue that features the best ever gaming characters and the best beat-em-ups that half ar5ed shadowrun cover is an epic fail and a missed opportunity on a massive scale. The cover that shows the character select screen could have been great filled with loads of fighters from various games.

Despite the shambolic cover and Pravda like Icons piece the issue looks pretty good.

Noticed that Megatraveller gets a mention, loved this game, its an underrated RPG classic so great to see it in the mag.

Will have a proper read through this afternoon.
Nintendo had a spread because they had more entries than anybody else. It made perfect sense to do it like that. If Sega, or Capcom had a massive range of characters that you'd all voted for they'd have got the same coverage. We looked at the votes, picked a cool theme and put it all together. Sorry you didn't like the way it turned out. Next you'll be saying that Guybrush is a bigger deal than those 4 nintendo characters...

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:05 am

Greyfox wrote:the cover is terrible..I'm not a fan of Shadowrun, but this isn't why I'm knocking it..from a design aspect..very lazy..I bet the the covers they didn't use are probably better than the present one ..oh well can't win them all of the time..but I like what's inside this months issue :)
This.... Its not a good cover and the poorest for a while. No comment yet on content, as havent read it!

The Gaming Icon article is one I'll skip, not my kinda article - and was always going to be Nintendo heavy.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:15 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
There are no positions listed actually it's just simply the highest rated characters spread out across relevant pages. As I've mentioned we wanted to arrange it how you might come across it in a museum so 8-bit computer heroes first, then more modern characters and then Nintendo as they had more placements than any other company. I'm sorry your favourite characters didn't get the coverage you felt they deserved.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:25 am

"Nintendo's characters were voted for so often by you that it seemed only right to them their very own gallery"

Really?

A quick look at the thread shows that Donkey Kong got just two votes and Samus five votes, you can imagine the panic at RG Towers when they realised the votes were not going as planned :lol:

It would seem Darran has spent his summer holidays in Zimbabwe.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:29 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:"Nintendo's characters were voted for so often by you that it seemed only right to them their very own gallery"

Really?

A quick look at the thread shows that Donkey Kong got just two votes and Samus five votes, you can imagine the panic at RG Towers when they realised the votes were not going as planned :lol:

It would seem Darran has spent his summer holidays in Zimbabwe.
Who said it's just the retro gamer forums we use? We asked other forums and also other members of staff who read the magazine as well. Oh and I don't appreciate your thinly veiled accusations either, no matter how much you make a joke of it.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:50 am

Not much in for me this month but I have been spoilt lately and I can't have it all every issue! :D

Highlights though for me are Colin Porch interview (met him at Revival and a really nice guy), JD's Myth article is superb and Access Software (always like From The Archives).

I was very disappointed though when I saw Evolution Of Beat 'Em Ups was actually about Fighting Games :wink:

Anyway, well done as always to everyone involved and I really look forward to next month's issue, it sounds absolutely cracking!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:21 am

The Laird wrote: Anyway, well done as always to everyone involved and I really look forward to next month's issue, it sounds absolutely cracking!
What even an article on a GameCube game? ;)