Coverdiscs on Retro Gamer Magazine

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Coverdiscs On Retro Gamer Magazine

Yes Please
34%
No Thanks
66%

Total votes: 137

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:12 am

Sega2006 wrote:Not everybody has the Net or knows how to download a decent game
Well 1) In this day and age i have no sympathy for people who arent on the net, harsh i know, and 2) if people dont know how to download a decent game then they need help.

The vasttttttt majority of people surely you buy computer mags (retro or new) must have access to the net. And as for not knowing how to download a decent game you simply join a forum, ask advice about best games to download etc and people tell you. Surely we dont have to cater for one bloke in an island off Scotland or Wales who doesnt have the net and cant download an emulator ? Lets think of the masses here.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:58 am

Here's an idea: how about a poster of the Barbarian advert?

Strictly for our ummm personal enjoyment. :wink:

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:07 pm

jdanddiet wrote:Here's an idea: how about a poster of the Barbarian advert?

Strictly for our ummm personal enjoyment. :wink:
think we've had one (with Game Over on the flip side?) I've got it tucked away somewhere
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:08 pm

Athena, then.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:55 pm

Cover Disks are pretty pointless nowadays. Just about every man and his dog has web access nowadays and there was nothing on the disks that wasn't a simple google away.

Retro posters and stuff would still be very welcome but again not sure what copyright or royalty issues might be involved or how much cost it would add to the mag. For all of their desirability I don't see the point if it would have an adverse effect on the price and/or the space/money for actual content.

IMO RG has got better issue by issue since the relaunch and the last few issues have been fantastic. Don't miss the old mags or the disks so why change a winning format?.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:39 pm

People say cover discs are pointless, maybe, but you could extend that to a lot of things, Retro Gamer needs to (and does) provide exclusive content, however a portion of its reviews/some making ofs/histories are also available on the Internet (obviously without without Retro gamers editorial slant). Want to find out the news headlines from yesterday? Buy a newspaper, want to find out about right now, got the BBC news website.
I read the brief preview of Sonic Unleashed in RG, but I can watch trailers and reviews of it on gametrailers.com which gives me a far greater impression of the game. For me (as a subscriber) RG is a 'communit'y focal point and is superbly written but I'm sure that other people get their retro info from surfing the net instead. My point being is the reason for not having a cover disc should be nothing to do with what you can surf on the net.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:45 pm

Not really, in that context supplying a disk with the content found on most of the RG cover disks is a bit like the TV times coming with a DVD of Fridays episode of Eastenders.

Its a pointless exercise when anyone who might be interested enough in the subject matter to buy the mag already has access to the content of the disk via more direct media....making it a nonsense and unnecessary expense.

Seems a perfectly legitimate reason to me.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

GenghisJones

Post by GenghisJones » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:58 pm

Once a year maybe as a treat (xmas maybe??) - but only if there's something good to put on it.

the only thing that I ever used more than once on Live Cds was the Commodore 64 music.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:10 pm

Not bothered about a disc any more , especially after seeing what's happened to Totaal PC Gaming

What would like to see however is a tribute pullout like the Crash/Zzap! ones , a poster like the Game Over one

Most of all though I would love to see RG give us a retro calendar free with each November/December issue
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:32 am

Coverdiscs? NO!!! We're all web-savvy in this community, so why waste the time and money compiling readily-available content from the web?

I'm sure I speak for most RG readers when I say that my coverdisc collection is simply sitting on the shelf gathering dust...

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:47 am

How do you know what stuffs out there on the internet to start with though? There's loads of things on the coverdiscs that I would have never known about had they not been on the coverdisc to start with.
Splink!

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:59 am

Good grief. Will this topic never die?
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:25 am

CraigGrannell wrote:Good grief. Will this topic never die?
Nope. How about a poster of Legend of the Amazon Women? :D

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:50 am

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:53 am

Amazon women and dinosaurs. How did it fail?

:D