Coverdiscs on Retro Gamer Magazine

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Coverdiscs On Retro Gamer Magazine

Yes Please
34%
No Thanks
66%

Total votes: 137

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:48 am

felgekarp wrote:I seem to be in the minority as someone who actually liked the coverdiscs and actually used/watched the stuff that was on them, usually there was some little nugget hidden on them as well. But mob rules and mob rule says they were a waste.
Mob rules ? The majority of people say no, the majority of people didnt seem to use the cover disk.

All because you dont get your own way you cant throw the 'mob rules' crap out there. If more people wanted the disk than not then i'm sure it might make a comeback, if more people dont want it it wont be back. None of this mob rubbish your coming out with. Look at the poll, your the only one who voted yes, yet because we dont agree with you its mob rule this and that, pathetic.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:13 am

psj3809 wrote:
felgekarp wrote:I seem to be in the minority as someone who actually liked the coverdiscs and actually used/watched the stuff that was on them, usually there was some little nugget hidden on them as well. But mob rules and mob rule says they were a waste.
Mob rules ? The majority of people say no, the majority of people didnt seem to use the cover disk.

All because you dont get your own way you cant throw the 'mob rules' crap out there. If more people wanted the disk than not then i'm sure it might make a comeback, if more people dont want it it wont be back. None of this mob rubbish your coming out with. Look at the poll, your the only one who voted yes, yet because we dont agree with you its mob rule this and that, pathetic.
Alright calm down and I haven't actually voted on the poll yet. There was no offence meant, I really must get used to using these :D and these :wink:
Splink!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:35 am

Fair enough. But yeah if a ton of people wanted the cover disks then i would hope RG might listen to the majority.

I love the new style mag personally compared to the old one, the odd one off disc could be quite good. But the money spent on the Durrell back catalogue for example could have been better spent elsewhere when i'm sure most of us know where to download those games from etc as an example

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:40 am

Do others on here stay away from magazines that have cover discs then or do they just immediately throw them away?. I used to buy quite a few pc mags but mainly for the cover discs, the stuff that was actually in the mags never used to interest me.
Splink!

TMR

Post by TMR » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:03 am

felgekarp wrote:Do others on here stay away from magazines that have cover discs then or do they just immediately throw them away?. I used to buy quite a few pc mags but mainly for the cover discs, the stuff that was actually in the mags never used to interest me.
i've found that if i buy mags purely on the strength of a coverdisc it wasn't worth the purchase - i kept all the Live RG discs but only the Konix footage and a few other odds and sods saw any actual use (apart from the Graftgold disc, which had the wrong Morpheus on it and amused me no end!) and everything else is pretty much added to the coaster pile.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:20 am

Back in the early-mid 90's just before the internet really took off cd's or even disks on PC mags were amazing. Bought many of them to get the latest wads for various Doom clones etc.

Now though with the net so huge, speeds so good it must be difficult to put original content on a dvd though

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:30 am

felgekarp wrote:Do others on here stay away from magazines that have cover discs then or do they just immediately throw them away?
Most magazines I get seem to put the discs inside the mag these days. However, with the sole exception of a rather disappointing NGamer DVD, I can't reacall the last time I actually bothered opening a covermount. Thinking about it, it was probably one of the earlier issues of Live's Retro Gamer.
I used to buy quite a few pc mags but mainly for the cover discs, the stuff that was actually in the mags never used to interest me.
And that's kind of the point. With magazines these days, you have a limited budget. Retro Gamer uses all its funds these days to pay for content, to provide readers with something to read. If money was shifted to a covermount fund, that would drop the budget for features, resulting in fewer pages, fewer features and more standing copy, a higher price, or Darran going insane by having to do even more work in-house. None of those are great alternatives.

What I find most depressing, however, is the reliance on covermounts these days—although this is something that clearly began back in the early 1990s. Most magazines are now little more than hurried regurgitation of press releases, with a disc of "EXCLUSIVE!!!" content designed to grab the attention of potential readers and distract from the fact that the magazine has little more value than bog roll.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:31 am

I have all of the RG coverdisks and have only actually loaded about 3 of them. If they come back they should be infrequent and focused.

But is their a point to this as Darran has categorically said (iirc) they are not coming back apart from maybe the odd special and we have voted against them in the past.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:55 am

merman wrote:No to coverdisks on the magazine...

Yes to a coverdisk with a "special edition" of the mag. Sort of like the Anthology, but dedicated to one particular company/programmer/genre, filled with properly licensed ROMs/images and remakes.

I'd agree with that. Also agree with the comments above, with something like the Konix stuff being unearthed, it was just TOO good not to have been givin out with the mag!
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Dark Reaper

Post by Dark Reaper » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:35 am

I've got the coverdisks that came with the Live-era RG and to be honest, the only reason I've still got them is that the mags aren't complete without them. I've never even taken the majority of them out of the case so I have no idea what is on most of them. If there is something out there that Darran & co. think that we should see, I'd much rather they provide a link to it than mount it on a disk.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:52 am

I've no need for a covermount. Just make proper use of the website and host any particular oddities (like the Konix stuff) there, tucked away for subscribers to access.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:41 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:I've no need for a covermount. Just make proper use of the website and host any particular oddities (like the Konix stuff) there, tucked away for subscribers to access.
Totally agree.

The covermount should come back as a dedicated (and perhaps smaller) section of the web site. All it needs is some editorial and links to the software in question. Exclusives and specials should be possible to store at the site itself.
Don't know how you could keep it reader-only though.

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:36 am

I agree that the coverdisc should only come back on a special edition of Retrogamer e.g. Xmas 2007 issue.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:16 pm

Dark Reaper wrote:I've got the coverdisks that came with the Live-era RG and to be honest, the only reason I've still got them is that the mags aren't complete without them. I've never even taken the majority of them out of the case so I have no idea what is on most of them. If there is something out there that Darran & co. think that we should see, I'd much rather they provide a link to it than mount it on a disk.
I keep meaning to take mine out now that I know there's a little easter egg on a few of them, can't be bothered though.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:47 pm

No to a disc , but yes to pull-outs like the Oli calendar and the Game Over poster , or even the ZZap!/YS tributes - stuff you just can't get elsewhere
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"