Coverdiscs on Retro Gamer Magazine

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Coverdiscs On Retro Gamer Magazine

Yes Please
34%
No Thanks
66%

Total votes: 137

Greyfox

Re: Coverdiscs on Retro Gamer Magazine

Post by Greyfox » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:48 am

merman wrote:Exactly. Much better that people put time and resources into the magazine articles than an extra. I'd love to see a retro gaming video, but to make it of marketable quality would cost a lot of money.
I have to disagree here..I did the Retro Reunited stuff for free and covered everything at that event also for free and put it up on the Internet, and anyone who has the DVD Box set will also agree the quality of the product nearly far out shines a commercial production, all it would cost was time and abit of work, there is lots of websites dedicated to show you how to create your vids.. again FREE!..look at Coin-op TV, they do great for an American show..and it's totally free to watch etc...and if you want all the shows , simply send them a few bucks, for the DVD Sets..purely up to the person who wants to buy them..even if it was maybe a day to day video diary of the magazine been put together filmed with flip cams and or maybe some interviews with the staff on there angle in writing articles..or funny things that happen in the office , anti-dotes etc... hell I'll even edited it and put it together for you..for FREE! and have it at end of year pressie for your readers.. and what about the cost..nothing!..maybe 2 quid to mass produced copies for the number of December Issues, I'd have no problem paying the extra..you don't need 20th Century Fox productions here..could be all done on a shoe string.
↓↓Click Link to See More
http://www.greyfoxbooks.com

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:24 pm

Personally still not keen. Happy to watch the odd video on youtube but would rather a few more pages in a mag than a dvd on the front cover. In this day and age you dont need videos on a cover mounted dvds, just go on the net and have a look

TMR

Post by TMR » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:16 pm

psj3809 wrote:Personally still not keen. Happy to watch the odd video on youtube but would rather a few more pages in a mag than a dvd on the front cover. In this day and age you dont need videos on a cover mounted dvds, just go on the net and have a look
i'm not even sure how it'd work, it's not as though all the RG writers get together or anything (or if they are, no fecker told me about it!)

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:32 pm

psj3809 wrote:Personally still not keen. Happy to watch the odd video on youtube but would rather a few more pages in a mag than a dvd on the front cover. In this day and age you dont need videos on a cover mounted dvds, just go on the net and have a look
this really has nothing to do with extra content not been added to the magazine, this purely something special for the loyal readers and also gives an insight to new potential readership to magzine if they watch and see what it is all about incoraging new readship and possible slight profit increase for the magzine , like in the old days, I remember buying all the Xmas issues of C&VG, superplay, Gamesmaster, CU amiga and afew others just to lay my hands on the cheap Xmas tat that was inside , so it does work, well back in those days it did :)

I still think this could be good and at the end of the day I feel that it would go down well, I understand the you tube side of things, but nothing compares to full pal resolution on you 50" LCD now does it?, maybe they could also use it to promote others magazines from the ip range, why no one is seeing the big picture here amazes me.

Maybe this is a losing battle for what I'm trying to confay here :(
↓↓Click Link to See More
http://www.greyfoxbooks.com

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:03 am

TMR wrote:
i'm not even sure how it'd work, it's not as though all the RG writers get together or anything (or if they are, no fecker told me about it!)
This is another good point, in the days of..... ooh... The One or something, virtually everyone you saw writing for the mag were in the same office day after day.

RG has 2 writing staff, the rest are all articles bought in. Hell, the less regular ones often have other jobs entirely, I worked with an unnamed former RG writer for 3 years myself, so hows he coming in during the week for any kind of podcast or coverdisk video involving "The team"?
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

khisanth

Post by khisanth » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:04 am

Or what about something for subscribers? Edge magazine has the occasional freebie or different cover for subsribers for example.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:55 am

Dudley wrote:RG has 2 writing staff, the rest are all articles bought in. Hell, the less regular ones often have other jobs entirely, I worked with an unnamed former RG writer for 3 years myself, so hows he coming in during the week for any kind of podcast or coverdisk video involving "The team"?
Mm. I don't think many people realise how the niche magazine industry works these days. Things are far more 'corporate' then you'd expect, rather than the chaos of the likes of Newsfield. And, as noted, most mags are largely filled with content from remote freelancers who are never in the office and are often based a long way from it. I've visited—very irregularly—publishers, because most of my income is from freelance, but despite the fact I've written for every issue bar one of RG since about #20, I've never met Darran, nor have I been to Imagine HQ. I'm certainly not alone in this.
khisanth wrote:Or what about something for subscribers? Edge magazine has the occasional freebie or different cover for subsribers for example.
Unless a company effectively wants some free advertising, there is no such thing as a freebie. Different covers are cheap, but not free. The costs still end up affecting your subscriptions somehow.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

khisanth

Post by khisanth » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:52 am

hehe freebie for us, obviously there are no freebies for the magazine :)

TMR

Post by TMR » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:34 am

CraigGrannell wrote:but despite the fact I've written for every issue bar one of RG since about #20, I've never met Darran, nor have I been to Imagine HQ. I'm certainly not alone in this.
Yup, only been writing for each issue since 51 here but i've met Darran just once (and that was at Retro Reunited), phoned him twice if memory serves (one of which was to get the contract sorted out) and never been to Imagine - everything is done via teh interwebs.

The Master

Post by The Master » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:39 am

Gorf.
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

TMR

Post by TMR » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:48 am

The Master wrote:Gorf.
Easy for you to say!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:43 am

Greyfox wrote:this really has nothing to do with extra content not been added to the magazine, this purely something special for the loyal readers and also gives an insight to new potential readership to magzine if they watch and see what it is all about incoraging new readship and possible slight profit increase for the magzine , like in the old days, I remember buying all the Xmas issues of C&VG, superplay, Gamesmaster, CU amiga and afew others just to lay my hands on the cheap Xmas tat that was inside , so it does work, well back in those days it did :)

I still think this could be good and at the end of the day I feel that it would go down well, I understand the you tube side of things, but nothing compares to full pal resolution on you 50" LCD now does it?, maybe they could also use it to promote others magazines from the ip range, why no one is seeing the big picture here amazes me.

Maybe this is a losing battle for what I'm trying to confay here :(
If its something special i would rather have another 'Your Sinclair' supplement. I wouldnt want any video type content on a dvd as like i say i can just view that on the web. I would rather have the Xmas special have 20 extra pages (Like the old days of the Xmas special of Crash being bigger) than just having a dvd on the front which i'll personally hardly use.

I dont think there is a 'big picture', youre obviously keen as mustard as youre doing your own videos and you seem to be a big fan of video. I wouldnt want to see some 'making of...' on my big screen TV, i'll watch it once on my computer and then it'll gather dust. Give me 20 pages extra any day over a throwaway dvd. Theres so many good (and bad) videos on youtube reviewing certain games/hardware etc, i cant see what retro gamer would do different.

Jet Pilot

Post by Jet Pilot » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:42 am

CraigGrannell wrote:I've gotta say, I find it bizarre that well over 50 issues into the Imagine run, people are still clamouring for a covermount, despite Retro Gamer somehow maintaining its five-quid price-point since the publisher switch, along with its extra pages.

The fact remains that all of the 'extras' people have mentioned would increase costs substantially, which would impact on the magazine.
Guys, please don't change anything. RG is a great magazine at a great price (expensive here in the US, but most of that is shipping).

We have the internet, so no cover disc is needed (how hard is it for someone to type in a URL?).

I don't like multiple covers either. In reality, multiple covers are just a way for publishers to sucker people into buying two copies of the exact same magazine. I think its greedy on the part of the publishers and I'm glad that RG and Imagine have no part in such schemes.

Keep up the excellent magazine.
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:52 pm

Am I the only person on here that liked the cover discs and didn't see them as a complete waste?
Splink!

merman

Post by merman » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:57 am

felgekarp wrote:Am I the only person on here that liked the cover discs and didn't see them as a complete waste?
I liked some of them, and I liked the hidden stuff, but some of the content was very much a case of "what can we bung on there this month?"
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube