Coverdiscs on Retro Gamer Magazine

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Coverdiscs On Retro Gamer Magazine

Yes Please
34%
No Thanks
66%

Total votes: 137

yethboth

Coverdiscs on Retro Gamer Magazine

Post by yethboth » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:48 am

Hands up all those who want Retrogamer to bring back the Coverdiscs and are willing to pay an extra pound or two for it?

drewbar

Post by drewbar » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:03 am

No, I am cool without them. They were usually broken by the time they arrived in the newsagents over here anyway.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:14 am

100% dont want them back, most of the stuff on the disc you can easily get off the net yourself. People moan (??) about the price of the mag at the moment, pushing it up a quid or two will have them moaning even more.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:49 am

Haven't we done this topic to death already? As for upping the cover price, I suspect Imagine want to wait as long as humanely possible before raising Retro Gamer above the "magic fiver" price point, because it's almost certain sales will drop once the mag is six quid (although perhaps not as much as some—after all, Retro Gamer is pretty good value, with a much higher feature-page-count-to-overall-page-count ratio than most other gaming mags). Raising it two quid would be commercial suicide, unless the magazine's page count substantially rose. Whacking a cover disc on there and raising the price would be an insult to the readers, in my opinion.

Darran's policy on this seems to be eminently sensible. If something amazing and suitable is suddenly unearthed, Retro Gamer may have a one-off covermount, but it's not going to get one every month. Most magazines that have a covermount do so to distract from the content being, frankly, rubbish, and although Live's Retro Gamer was clearly an exception to this rule—the covermount presumably being added 1) because it was the done thing; 2) because, initially, it had plenty to bung on them (complete sets of games from publishers, the C64 music, and Konix stuff), and; 3) because covermounts bring added perceived value to a publication, which is amazingly handy for a new magazine that hasn't yet got a loyal and dedicated readership—there were a number of discs that were just filler.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:09 am

I never loaded up a single one of the coverdiscs that came with the Live era magazine.

I think having a full 'proper' cover image, along with a cheaper price, results in the magazine being more popular. A decent piece of art grabs the attention of potential buyers in WH Smiths. As SirClive's recent coverart poll has proven, the Live era covers were bad due to the disc DVD case taking up most of the cover space.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:09 am

No.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

TMR

Post by TMR » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:17 am

CraigGrannell wrote:Darran's policy on this seems to be eminently sensible. If something amazing and suitable is suddenly unearthed, Retro Gamer may have a one-off covermount, but it's not going to get one every month.
i voted "no" overall, but that makes sense as a policy - something like the Konix videos that are pretty much unique were about the only things i actually bothered with for more than an initial load to see what was there so anything else like that i'd want to see.

The Graftgold disc did make me laugh though, having the wrong Morpheus on there... =-)

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:45 am

I seem to be in the minority as someone who actually liked the coverdiscs and actually used/watched the stuff that was on them, usually there was some little nugget hidden on them as well. But mob rules and mob rule says they were a waste.
Splink!

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:59 am

felgekarp wrote:I seem to be in the minority as someone who actually liked the coverdiscs and actually used/watched the stuff that was on them, usually there was some little nugget hidden on them as well. But mob rules and mob rule says they were a waste.
Mob rule says we don't all want to spend £1 extra (and potentially lose pagecount too) just because you can't be bothered to use the internet ;)

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:06 am

No..

merman

Post by merman » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:08 am

No to coverdisks on the magazine...

Yes to a coverdisk with a "special edition" of the mag. Sort of like the Anthology, but dedicated to one particular company/programmer/genre, filled with properly licensed ROMs/images and remakes.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:11 am

Dudley wrote:
felgekarp wrote:I seem to be in the minority as someone who actually liked the coverdiscs and actually used/watched the stuff that was on them, usually there was some little nugget hidden on them as well. But mob rules and mob rule says they were a waste.
Mob rule says we don't all want to spend £1 extra (and potentially lose pagecount too) just because you can't be bothered to use the internet ;)
Which would cost me slightly more than £12 a year, if I paid for internet access. You can't even agree with people round here without someone chipping in.
Splink!

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:15 am

You clearly have internet access already if you're here.

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:18 am

I personally believe Retrogamer should not if you can download these games for free from the internet.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:45 am

Dudley wrote:You clearly have internet access already if you're here.
No what I was saying was I don't pay at the moment for it, if I did pay it would cost me more. There's a difference between paying for it and having it.
Splink!