How much last gen stuff is too much?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

My maximum interest in last gen content

2 pages
26
34%
4 pages
17
22%
6 pages
20
26%
8 pages
8
11%
10 pages
5
7%
 
Total votes: 76

User avatar
gman72
Posts: 8018
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:41 pm
Location: UK. Norfolk

Re: How much last gen stuff is too much?

Post by gman72 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:30 pm

The Laird wrote:
gman72 wrote:Also that attitude only serves to alarm the already skittish team behind the RG into thinking that if they run a few PS1/Saturn articles that people will stop buying the mag in droves when in fact the opposite is true.
They have had loads of PS1 articles in the last few years so that comment confuses me slightly :?
Far too disproportionate when compared to 8 and 16 bit pieces. Hence the need for a slight shift in focus. :D
Also a full page screen shot and a few lines of text does not in my opinion constitute an article.
Also that's just PSX what about Saturn, PS2, GC and Xbox?
Also there has never been any coverage on the PSX/Saturn colsole war.
Also none of the games I mentioned above nor many of the other hundreds of rare and obscure PSX/Saturn games have been covered in the mag to my knowledge.
Last edited by gman72 on Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Re: How much last gen stuff is too much?

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:42 pm

gman72 wrote:
The Laird wrote:
gman72 wrote:Also that attitude only serves to alarm the already skittish team behind the RG into thinking that if they run a few PS1/Saturn articles that people will stop buying the mag in droves when in fact the opposite is true.
They have had loads of PS1 articles in the last few years so that comment confuses me slightly :?
Far too disproportionate when compared to 8 and 16 bit pieces. Hence the need for a slight shift in focus. :D

I laugh at people who dont want PS1 and saturn and act as if there is a massive timegap between those and the 16bit consoles. there is only around 3 years and one gen is 21 years old, and the other is 18 years old ( going by UK dates ). in relative terms they were practically released at the same time now. As time goes on that difference between release dates starts to look smaller and smaller.

They are both effectively 2 decades old.

in my opinion the 32 bit consoles are every bit as retro as the 16bit consoles now.

as for the PS2 and gamecube, they are now over a decade old, retro gamer started covering 16 bit and calling them retro with the same amount of time since they were released.

in 2004 the Snes had only been released 1o years or so prior and no-one had a problem, but the GC and PS2 are now 11 years old and we have people arguing they can't be retro. I really do not understand TBH.

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: How much last gen stuff is too much?

Post by The Laird » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:48 pm

gman72 wrote:
The Laird wrote:
gman72 wrote:Also that attitude only serves to alarm the already skittish team behind the RG into thinking that if they run a few PS1/Saturn articles that people will stop buying the mag in droves when in fact the opposite is true.
They have had loads of PS1 articles in the last few years so that comment confuses me slightly :?
Far too disproportionate when compared to 8 and 16 bit pieces. Hence the need for a slight shift in focus. :D
Also a full page screen shot and a few lines of text does not in my opinion constitute an article.
Also that's just PSX what about Saturn, PS2, GC and Xbox?
8-bit maybe but there isn't a massive difference to 16-bit in my opinion. I would like to see more Saturn love however as it seems to get much less coverage than the PS1 and N64. I will need to think up some Saturn articles to write, I wish Saturn emu wasn't such a pig to get working. I said PS1 articles, not a screenshot ;)

PS2, GC and Xbox are not retro IMO so I don't really care about those. Like I have said before, any system that FIFA 14 on it can't be called retro!

User avatar
gman72
Posts: 8018
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:41 pm
Location: UK. Norfolk

Re: How much last gen stuff is too much?

Post by gman72 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:54 pm

Well we will always differ on the issue of PS2/GC and Xbox retro status. :D
But you cant seriously believe there is not much difference in the amount of coverage between PSX and 16bit consoles. C'mon, man, pull the other one. :lol:
On a serious note if you need any info on Saturn Games I have pretty much all of them bar a few jap import titles.
Last edited by gman72 on Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: How much last gen stuff is too much?

Post by The Laird » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:04 pm

gman72 wrote:Well we will always differ on the issue of PS2/GC and Xbox retro status. :D
But you cant seriously believe there is not much difference in the amount of coverage between PSX and 16bit consoles. C'mon, man, pull the other one. :lol:
On a serious note if you need any info on Saturn Games I have pretty much all of them bar a very few import titles.
There isn't when you factor in the PC and N64 too (both 32/64-bit generation)

Have you seen my Saturn collection? :wink:

User avatar
gman72
Posts: 8018
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:41 pm
Location: UK. Norfolk

Re: How much last gen stuff is too much?

Post by gman72 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:11 pm

The Laird wrote:
gman72 wrote:Well we will always differ on the issue of PS2/GC and Xbox retro status. :D
But you cant seriously believe there is not much difference in the amount of coverage between PSX and 16bit consoles. C'mon, man, pull the other one. :lol:
On a serious note if you need any info on Saturn Games I have pretty much all of them bar a very few import titles.
There isn't when you factor in the PC and N64 too (both 32/64-bit generation)

Have you seen my Saturn collection? :wink:
I thought we were talking about PSX vs 16 bit. :?
I wont ask you for a Saturn off :wink:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: How much last gen stuff is too much?

Post by The Laird » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:12 pm

I thought we were talking about generational coverage? The PS1 is not the whole 32-bit generation, as much as some people like to believe it is.

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Re: How much last gen stuff is too much?

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:22 pm

The Laird wrote:I thought we were talking about generational coverage? The PS1 is not the whole 32-bit generation, as much as some people like to believe it is.

The 32bit era is crying out for coverage.

Like you say, most people think the PS1 is the be all of that Era. Even then all people mention is Tekken, Ridge racer, metal gear, Wipeout etc. Same old games over and over again. Not only is there many many gems ( especially some quality 2d stuff ) but there are some crazy good titles ready for people to discover.

Same with the Saturn, The pal library is only the tip of the iceberg.

Lets introduce people to all the games beyond the standard Virtua fighter, Daytona, Sega rally etc.

User avatar
gman72
Posts: 8018
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:41 pm
Location: UK. Norfolk

Re: How much last gen stuff is too much?

Post by gman72 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:26 pm

The Laird wrote:The PS1 is not the whole 32-bit generation, as much as some people like to believe it is.
quite.
But in this instance I was talking about PSX and Saturn. Ive been talking exclusively about those consoles for the last few pages but, yes, now you mention it 32bit era in general is undercovered. Im sure we can expect you to redress that as per Atari consoles but as maligned as you think it is the PSX was the vehicle of choice for the masses during that gen with a wealth of obscure games that go well beyond the Tekken and Tombraiders etc and it deserves far more in depth coverage than it currently receives. I would like to see you try your hand at a Saturn article though. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: How much last gen stuff is too much?

Post by The Laird » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:41 pm

gman72 wrote:
The Laird wrote:The PS1 is not the whole 32-bit generation, as much as some people like to believe it is.
quite.
But in this instance I was talking about PSX and Saturn. Ive been talking exclusively about those consoles for the last few pages but, yes, now you mention it 32bit era in general is undercovered. Im sure we can expect you to redress that as per Atari consoles but as maligned as you think it is the PSX was the vehicle of choice for the masses during that gen with a wealth of obscure games that go well beyond the Tekken and Tombraiders etc and it deserves far more in depth coverage than it currently receives. I would like to see you try your hand at a Saturn article though. :D
If you were exclusively talking about the PS1 and Saturn then fair enough but it's very unfair to compare just 2 consoles with a whole generation (16-bit or 8-bit) as you were doing. Which is why I compared the whole generation, makes much more sense.

I don't think the whole 32-bit generation lacks coverage at all, the PS1, PC and N64 get plenty of coverage. It was the other machines that have been left out a bit. The Jaguar got a nice bit of coverage recently and I have tons more I could cover for this platform too in the future. The 3DO gets a welcome look in next month and I would always welcome more Saturn coverage.

I actually have several articles that I want to write that cover games that came out on MULTIPLE machines during that era including a criminally under rated strategy game that came out on the PS1, Saturn and Jaguar among other platforms. It all depends on whether people want to read them though and if Darran wants me to write them!

User avatar
gman72
Posts: 8018
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:41 pm
Location: UK. Norfolk

Re: How much last gen stuff is too much?

Post by gman72 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:08 pm

The Laird wrote:the PS1, PC and N64 get plenty of coverage.
Minimal, tons and a bit more than PSX.
The PC yes I agree but as usual we shall have to beg to differ over the PSX.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

NES Max
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:58 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: How much last gen stuff is too much?

Post by NES Max » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:07 pm

The Laird wrote:I will need to think up some Saturn articles to write
I must have mentioned it before (and quite a few times at that :) ), but a large feature on the fascinating Saturn import scene is a must for a magazine that calls itself Retro Gamer. I love Magic Knight Rayearth, Panzer Dragoon and Shining the Holy Ark alright, but it's the Blast Winds, Hyper Duels, Soukyugurentais, Cottons, XMultiplys, Metal Blacks, SF Zero 3s, Vampire Saviors, D&Ds, et. al. that make the Saturn the legend it is today.

User avatar
QwakAttak
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:10 am

Re: How much last gen stuff is too much?

Post by QwakAttak » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:13 am

I have absolutely zero interest in reading about PS2 / Gamecube / Xbox games. I understand they are old now, well over a decade.. but for me personally, reading about and seeing screenshots of xbox and ps2 games does absolutely nothing for me, despite the fact that I still play on them occasionally.

I grew up on 16-bit and 32-bit games, before switching to a full time PC gamer until about 2002 when I got an Xbox for when my mates were round (Halo multiplayer, whoop!) but the last gen is the one I have the least interest in.

I think I would have to seriously consider whether I stayed a loyal subscriber if the mag went too far over to catering for the 19 - 25 year old market.

psj3809
Posts: 18868
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Re: How much last gen stuff is too much?

Post by psj3809 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:25 am

I'm not too keen on PS2/Gamecube/X-Box etc, just seems too recent for me. Granted the PS2 is over 10 years old now but i dont know, just doesnt feel retro enough.

As for obscure machines etc i'm not that keen on those (again i know some are, cant please them all). The odd bit of Jag is okay but not tons, hardly any of us if we're honest had one of these in the 90's or sit here with some sort of emulator playing games for it. If RG want to survive it wants to keep with the main stream machines and only have smaller features on the lesser well known stuff (Interesting articles on the not so famous machines but lets not go OTT).

It'll be like having an Oric or Dragon feature every few months for the 8 bits, just not good. A 'bit' of obscure/not so well known consoles/computers is good but only a bit (in my view)

Still would love more retro PC stuff, i bought my first PC due to Red Alert/Quake etc and always played PC gaming when i had a console throughout the 90's

User avatar
gman72
Posts: 8018
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:41 pm
Location: UK. Norfolk

Re: How much last gen stuff is too much?

Post by gman72 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:52 am

QwakAttak wrote: I think I would have to seriously consider whether I stayed a loyal subscriber if the mag went too far over to catering for the 19 - 25 year old market.
If I could make a couple of points...
Putting a couple of PS2/GC/Xbox articles in does not just cater for the 19-25 market. I'm 40.
I also maintain that if you abandoned the mag because of an occasional PS2 article then you don't really like the mag anyway.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests