How much last gen stuff is too much?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

My maximum interest in last gen content

2 pages
34%
4 pages
22%
6 pages
26%
8 pages
11%
10 pages
7%

Total votes: 76

NES Max

Re: How much last gen stuff is too much?

Post by NES Max » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:43 pm

retrosofer wrote:But i think now is a perfect time to start featuring Xbox, PS2, GameCube stuff with next gen about to hit our shores, and certainly more Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast stuff would be much appreciated. I love all the 8/16-bit stuff, but would definitally like to start seeing more of the former.
Exactly.

In depth features focusing on the PC Engine, PS1, Dreamcast and (especially) Saturn Japan import scenes are long overdue.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:35 am

Seriously, you can only have so many articles about Manic Miner. I'd love to see an article about the battle for supremacy between the Cube/PS2/Xbox (and how the Cube obviously won!)
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:09 pm

Wow... I didn't mean to light the touch paper but I'm glad so many of you agree with me. It seemed like I was the only one shouting for coverage of PS1/2 Saturn, Xbox and GC footage but its certainly become a growing movement. The choice of coverage is the Editors and his teams and it is through choice that they stick as firmly in the 8 and 16 bit as they do. But if more and more of us keep begging for change surely we can move the mountain. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:38 pm

gman72 wrote:Wow... I didn't mean to light the touch paper but I'm glad so many of you agree with me. It seemed like I was the only one shouting for coverage of PS1/2 Saturn, Xbox and GC footage but its certainly become a growing movement. The choice of coverage is the Editors and his teams and it is through choice that they stick as firmly in the 8 and 16 bit as they do. But if more and more of us keep begging for change surely we can move the mountain. :D
If this change happens and leads to a lot of coverage then the magazine will no longer be of interest for me and will remain on the shelf. I like the game but covering Red Dead Redemption in a retro magazine was a waste of two pages IMO. Firstly it told us what we already know about the game and secondly it ain't a retro title and it's got some time before it becomes one.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:29 pm

Doddsy wrote:
gman72 wrote:Wow... I didn't mean to light the touch paper but I'm glad so many of you agree with me. It seemed like I was the only one shouting for coverage of PS1/2 Saturn, Xbox and GC footage but its certainly become a growing movement. The choice of coverage is the Editors and his teams and it is through choice that they stick as firmly in the 8 and 16 bit as they do. But if more and more of us keep begging for change surely we can move the mountain. :D
If this change happens and leads to a lot of coverage then the magazine will no longer be of interest for me and will remain on the shelf. I like the game but covering Red Dead Redemption in a retro magazine was a waste of two pages IMO. Firstly it told us what we already know about the game and secondly it ain't a retro title and it's got some time before it becomes one.
You should actually have tried reading the piece. Its called Future classics. They weren't exactly going to pick Jet Set Willy were they?
But worry ye not because the focus of the mag will never change from 8 and 16 bit whilst the current team run the show.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:54 pm

like the idea of a few pages each month, but would prefer it to be about the lesser know/rare last gen games, as the major titles are of less interest (until the age a bit more).

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:40 pm

I'm curious, what do you currently consider the cut-off point for PC games?

I don't see the problem with 6 pages for the last gen stuff. Even though I have zero interest in the PS2 and Xbox, that's not a lot of magazine space really and won't make much of a dent in what you cover already.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:07 am

Timothy Lumsden wrote:like the idea of a few pages each month, but would prefer it to be about the lesser know/rare last gen games, as the major titles are of less interest (until the age a bit more).
Absolutely.
There are literally hundreds of obscure games on PSX and Saturn alone let alone other consoles like PS2/GC and Xbox.
It would amazing to see in depth articles on games like these:
Tail Of The Sun, Tomba, Agent Armstrong, Internal Section, Legend of Legaia, Pong - The Next Level, V2000 (David Braben), Astal, Symphony Of The Night (Saturn), Sky Target, Terra Cresta 3D to name very, very, very few. The software companies behind the games should be covered, many of them having a history that goes back to the 8 and 16 bit eras... that's retro heritage, Dog.
Articles on the development of PSX and Saturn would be awesome, articles on the swings and roundabouts of the format war between them would be amazing and all of this before we even begin to touch upon the generation that followed these machines. An absolute wealth of un-plundered, very much retro material could feature in the mag if a marginal shift to the right in the central focus should happen. Just a couple of in depth pieces per month would keep me happy and be minimal enough that the 8 and 16 bit purists don't start wetting their pants too much :wink:
Last edited by gman72 on Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:02 am

gman72 wrote:
Timothy Lumsden wrote:like the idea of a few pages each month, but would prefer it to be about the lesser know/rare last gen games, as the major titles are of less interest (until the age a bit more).
Absolutely.
There are literally hundreds of obscure games on PSX and Saturn alone let alone other consoles like PS2/GC and Xbox.
It would amazing to see in depth articles on games like these:
Tail Of The Sun, Tomba, Agent Armstrong, Internal Section, Legend of Legaia, Pong - The Next Level, V2000 (David Braben), Astal, Symphony Of The Night (Saturn), Sky Target, Terra Cresta 2 to name very, very, very few. The software companies behind the games should be covered, many of them having a retro heritage perfectly to the mag.
Articles on the development of PSX and Saturn would be awesome, articles on the swings and roundabouts of the format war between them would be amazing and all of this before we even begin to touch upon the generation that followed these machines. An absolute wealth of un-plundered, very much retro material could feature in the mag if a marginal shift to the right in the central focus should happen. Just a couple of in depth pieces per month would keep me happy and be minimal enough that the 8 and 16 bit purists don't start wetting their pants too much :wink:

I honestly think the Minority report is an excellent featur that could be expanded.

There are so many games that people have not heard of, especially on imort. Maybe they coud do a section each month of games that never got released over here. especially as a lot of collectors now have the means to play import games.

It would freshen the magazine up a little seeing a load of new games instead of the usual suspects.

my eyes were widened when I got involved in importing PS1 and Saturn games.

never heard of the likes of Rally de Africa ( superb ps1 sega rally ripoff ) and not many people know of certain classics being redone for those consoles that satyed exclusive to japan ( the castle of illusion / quackshot doublepack, and chase hq / SCI doublepack for the saturn ) games like these have the benefit of being interesting to all retro gamers because they are retro classics.

NES Max

Post by NES Max » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:12 am

Well said gman (and Rodimus)!

Retro Gamer: please, no more articles on Jet Set Willy or Manic Miner.

merman

Post by merman » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:13 am

NES Max wrote:Well said gman (and Rodimus)!

Retro Gamer: please, no more articles on Jet Set Willy or Manic Miner.
Even if it was new, interesting, an unusual angle on the story or completely different?
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:14 pm

Well clearly its a great and influential game but there are only so many ways you can spin it. How about an article on all the versions of Mr Do instead. :D

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:14 pm

gman72 wrote:
Doddsy wrote:
You should actually have tried reading the piece. Its called Future classics. They weren't exactly going to pick Jet Set Willy were they?
But worry ye not because the focus of the mag will never change from 8 and 16 bit whilst the current team run the show.

I don't buy the mag for opinions on Future classics I buy the mag for info on retro classic. No disrespect to RG they do an excellent job and 10 years has nearly passed since the Mag was launched so Xbox and PS1 games are indeed becoming retro and the mag needs to move forward and appeal to generations of gamers. It's just that apart from a GBA I have grown up with 8bit, 16bit and PC computers to now owning an Xbox 360. So I have absolutely no interest in PS1, 90's consoles or Xbox games. Sorry but that is why the magazine would no longer be of interest me..

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:22 pm

Doddsy wrote:
I don't buy the mag for opinions on Future classics I buy the mag for info on retro classic. No disrespect to RG they do an excellent job and 10 years has nearly passed since the Mag was launched so Xbox and PS1 games are indeed becoming retro and the mag needs to move forward and appeal to generations of gamers. It's just that apart from a GBA I have grown up with 8bit, 16bit and PC computers to now owning an Xbox 360. So I have absolutely no interest in PS1, 90's consoles or Xbox games. Sorry but that is why the magazine would no longer be of interest me..
That's fine and you are as entitled to your opinion as anyone else but I find this whole If they start covering later systems i'll not buy the mag anymore really immature and selfish. Pick up your rattle and behave yourself. At no point has anyone asked for a complete shift in focus, just a couple of articles a month. If that's enough to make you stop buying the mag then I say you're not really into it anyway because you would be missing out on loads of stuff from your era of choice. Also that attitude only serves to alarm the already skittish team behind the RG into thinking that if they run a few PSX/Saturn articles that people will stop buying the mag in droves when in fact the opposite is true.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:26 pm

gman72 wrote:Also that attitude only serves to alarm the already skittish team behind the RG into thinking that if they run a few PS1/Saturn articles that people will stop buying the mag in droves when in fact the opposite is true.
They have had loads of PS1 articles in the last few years so that comment confuses me slightly :?