How much last gen stuff is too much?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

My maximum interest in last gen content

2 pages
34%
4 pages
22%
6 pages
26%
8 pages
11%
10 pages
7%

Total votes: 76

NorthWay

Re: How much last gen stuff is too much?

Post by NorthWay » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:04 pm

I couldn't help noticing the option for 0 pages was missing. Just in case you missed that. Cheerio!

Trickster

Post by Trickster » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:25 pm

I don't care. If there is a good story to tell, take as much pages as you need.
Of course each issue should be balanced but I wouldn't limit myself by such a rule.

I guess chances are higher to get in touch with important key figures of more recent games, so why not writing some making ofs of PS2/Dreamcast/Gamecube games?
I would love to read a story about the Project Zero games for example.

But I would still prefer an increase in coverage of the 32/64 bit era. I'm starting to get bored with most of the late 70s/early 80s content.

ZeroCipher

Post by ZeroCipher » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:01 pm

I went with 8 pages, (6-8 pref) I think its justified as XB, GC, PS2 etc are pretty much 2 generations back. Plenty of classics on all machines too.
Check my radio show every Tuesday 11pm (GMT) on TotalRock.com & every Saturday 8pm ET on FullFreqRadio.com & 11pm EST on TheMixx.FM also via the TuneIn App. On Demand www.mixcloud.com/djforcex

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:14 pm

The question to ask is which magazine (other than RG and GamesTM) would any pre-this-generation games appear in? My guess is none. Which means that RG has to cater for those systems too. How many gamers were introduced to their past-time with the PS1 and PS2? For them, with us almost on PS4 now, those systems are retro. They would like to know interesting anecdotes and facts behind the games/machines of that time, and perhaps so will many of the rest of us.

If I had my way the mag would be all about 8 +16 bit computers and PCs and the only consoles featured would be the Atari 2600 and Vectrex. But the mag isn't all about me, so I am quite happy to see more recent gamers catered for. It's not something I particularly want, but it's something I can appreciate and accept.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:21 pm

NorthWay wrote:I couldn't help noticing the option for 0 pages was missing. Just in case you missed that. Cheerio!
I mentioned why there is no 0 option. Just in case you missed that.
Cheerio

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:24 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
NorthWay wrote:I couldn't help noticing the option for 0 pages was missing. Just in case you missed that. Cheerio!
I mentioned why there is no 0 option. Just in case you missed that.
Cheerio
Also i think it's important to remember that the focus of the mag will continue to be on 8 and 16-bit, just as it is now.

junkmale

Post by junkmale » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:29 pm

I'd be quite content with whatever the staff of the mag think is best.

They haven't let me down yet with the content and i imagine they won't start doing that now.
As is often said in the Feedback threads you're never going to please everybody, every time and people will always moan about something. Almost everyone has a different view on what's retro and what isn't.

If it's something that looks interesting, i'll read it.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:24 pm

I would like to see a bit more "last gen" stuff, might be in a minority but the "last gen" was released during my late teen years and still has some nostalgic memories. The 8-bit stuff is great and good to read but by the time I got into gaming the majority of that stuff had been replaced by the 16-bit consoles and computers.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:56 pm

I've gone for 4 pages, but I'd like those to be limited to the current last gen of PS2/XBox/GC at the very latest. imo its far too early to be thinking about 360, PS3 and Wii in the mag. Its not like there's a shortage of great games to cover from PS1 and PS2 eras which are barely touched on, retro or not. I'm only just getting round to accepting PS1 in the main body of the mag, never mind PS2.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:00 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:The question to ask is which magazine (other than RG and GamesTM) would any pre-this-generation games appear in? My guess is none. Which means that RG has to cater for those systems too. How many gamers were introduced to their past-time with the PS1 and PS2? For them, with us almost on PS4 now, those systems are retro. They would like to know interesting anecdotes and facts behind the games/machines of that time, and perhaps so will many of the rest of us.

If I had my way the mag would be all about 8 +16 bit computers and PCs and the only consoles featured would be the Atari 2600 and Vectrex. But the mag isn't all about me, so I am quite happy to see more recent gamers catered for. It's not something I particularly want, but it's something I can appreciate and accept.

This is a great point.

There is nothing catering to people who are interested in GC, XBOX, PS2, and dreamcast.

Those systems had a lot of Japan specific titles that I would love to see. How many people know much about all the 2d shooters and fighters that came out.

I collect import stuff, and would love to see games like Transformers Tatakai on the PS2 featured.

along with things like the sega ages stuff on PS2, adventure island, bonk released games on GC and what about stuff like smash bros clone Dreammix TV fighters featuring many retro characters like Snake, bomberman, and Simon belmont.

Not to mention some of my fave series of games started in that era ( Still waiting for a new Onimusha )

I am an 8 / 16 bit nut and class that era as the best because thats what I grew up with, but at the same time I am hugley interestd in the stories the last gen has to offer.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:01 pm

Went for 2 pages, but to be honest the current issue is the strongest for some time. My only request would be more on the 32bit console era, Atari ST & Amiga 1200.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:08 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I mentioned why there is no 0 option. Just in case you missed that.
Some of us might think that is getting close to a "10 billion flies..." argument? But have a nice Sunday anyway!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:09 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:The question to ask is which magazine (other than RG and GamesTM) would any pre-this-generation games appear in? My guess is none.
There is nothing catering to people who are interested in GC, XBOX, PS2, and dreamcast.
Other mags do cover newer old games (I'm not going to call them retro). Edge for example always had a few pages a month on what we'd call future classics, I assume that's still the case. Can't be sure as I stopped buying other mags some time ago.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:15 pm

2 pages is not enough for me. Ive voted 6 and that was me being conservative. Ive read so very much about the 8 and 16bits in my life and in RG.
I actually know much less about the people and stories behind the PS1, 2, GC and Xbox stuff. That's my take on it anyway. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:48 pm

Same here, in terms of 8 bit anyway. I've said before that its the least interesting era for me, it just brings back memories of (largely) censored graphics, censored sound and load errors. 6 pages is about right but I wouldn't moan if there's was more from time to time. I would love to see the main focus shift towards the consoles, especially the 16 bit ones. The PCE is crying out for more coverage.

What about a bit more focus on pinball machines too? I had some great fun on those as I entered the pub era.

Eat your nans pants