How much last gen stuff is too much?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

My maximum interest in last gen content

2 pages
34%
4 pages
22%
6 pages
26%
8 pages
11%
10 pages
7%

Total votes: 76

crusto

Re: How much last gen stuff is too much?

Post by crusto » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:07 pm

The Laird wrote:
I don't think the whole 32-bit generation lacks coverage at all, the PS1, PC and N64 get plenty of coverage. It was the other machines that have been left out a bit. The Jaguar got a nice bit of coverage recently and I have tons more I could cover for this platform too in the future. The 3DO gets a welcome look in next month and I would always welcome more Saturn coverage.

I actually have several articles that I want to write that cover games that came out on MULTIPLE machines during that era including a criminally under rated strategy game that came out on the PS1, Saturn and Jaguar among other platforms. It all depends on whether people want to read them though and if Darran wants me to write them!
The thing it with the Jaguar though is that overall it was a rather underwhelming failure of a system. For me, in the grand scheme of things it is far less deserving of space in the mag than the likes of PS1, Saturn, 3DO etc.

That said, I would still welcome an article on Cybermorph over a CPC, Speccy, or C64 rehash.

Eat your nans pants

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:46 pm

Personally, I don't mind at all. It's not my mag after all. However, I think one thing that shines out about any article in any mag is whether or not the writer enjoys their subject matter.
It must be tough to keep having to find and write about some of the older and more obscure stuff. Maybe it's time for some newer articles that attract a new audience.
For every grumpy old man who says they will give up on the magazine, maybe there will be a handful of 20-30 year olds who will have their nostalgia glands tickled when they spot a magazine with a Gamecube on the cover.
Swings and roundabouts really.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:03 pm

This in its entirety ^ ^ is exactly my view too.
Thoughts and prayers.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:39 pm

crusto wrote:The thing it with the Jaguar though is that overall it was a rather underwhelming failure of a system. For me, in the grand scheme of things it is far less deserving of space in the mag than the likes of PS1, Saturn, 3DO etc.

That said, I would still welcome an article on Cybermorph over a CPC, Speccy, or C64 rehash.
Totally agree. Considering what a disaster the jag was I don't think there should be a lot of it in the mag. It's not like we're all sat at he downloading jaguar emulators due to its great range of games

Plenty more great retro gaming systems or game to cover than more jag stuff. It's not like people are crying out for it it's more the fact the writer is a massive massive fan

Much more arcade stuff would be great. The playstation feature this month was excellent as that was a great retro gaming system. But for systems like the jaguar, oric or dragon they should be featured briefly as they are part of history but just that. Not other articles about them as they're not retro gaming greats or that. I want the mag to do well but seeing another article yet again mention/feature the jag isn't good. The machine was a flop lets move on

Arcade, playstation or PC engine would be appreciated in my view more

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:35 am

What are you talking about? Nobody has said there is going to be more Jag coverage, it's not even been hinted at. The Jag has had no more coverage in recent times than any other obscure system. It got an anniversary article, as you would expect and a Minority Report, which it is also a prime candidate for. One reason nobody emulates it is because you can't, well not properly anyway, so that us a moot point also. As for me being a Jag fanboy, that is getting pretty tiring, I don't even have a Jag in my house anymore. There are a ton of systems I would rather play and write about, I have written more for RG on the PC Engine than the Jag but don't here people calling me a PCE fanboy!

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:02 am

The Laird wrote:What are you talking about? Nobody has said there is going to be more Jag coverage, it's not even been hinted at.
:?
The Laird wrote:The Jaguar got a nice bit of coverage recently and I have tons more I could cover for this platform too in the future.
Isn't that a hint?

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:26 am

psj3809 wrote:
Totally agree. Considering what a disaster the jag was I don't think there should be a lot of it in the mag. It's not like we're all sat at he downloading jaguar emulators due to its great range of games
[/quote]

Using your logic then: only covering machines that were not a "disaster", we have only Snes and PS1 coverage to look forward to.

Welcome to the SnesSonyGamer forums.
Thoughts and prayers.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:32 am

stvd wrote:
The Laird wrote:What are you talking about? Nobody has said there is going to be more Jag coverage, it's not even been hinted at.
:?
The Laird wrote:The Jaguar got a nice bit of coverage recently and I have tons more I could cover for this platform too in the future.
Isn't that a hint?
How is me saying I have other stuff a hint more will appear in the mag exactly?

Darran decides what articles people write, we don't just decide for ourselves you know, and I haven't seen any of the editorial team say there is going to be more. It's obvious that the Jag will appear in the mag again sometime in the future, you can pretty much guarantee that, just as you can guarantee we will have more 3DO, Saturn, PS1, N64 etc. That is what Retro Gamer is good at, covering a wide range of different platforms to meet all tastes, unfortunately some people are too selfish to understand that.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:09 am

I wasnt going to respond but after saying i'm selfish i had to. Just too selfish ? Coming from the person who used to censored off Retro Gamer non stop over at RVG 'until' you started writing articles for them, i've seen the threads at RVG moaning about issue after issue and then 'amazingly' it stopped. I've got every single issue, praise the mag to high heaven to lots of people and i do love the variety in the mag, i wasnt in threads moaning to previously banned members from RG about how crap the magazine is etc.

Yes we're all different. Some people seem to think the Jag isnt a pile of crap and the Lynx is the best handheld ever (?!?!). The mags called Retro Gamer, lets feature the best retro games and the best retro systems.

I'm not saying i'm right but a mag filled up with Dragon/Oric/Jaguar articles (basically crap machines) wont sell well. I've seen enough Jag stuff now to last me a lifetime, and thats NOTHING to do with you, i've never liked the machine, was a flop in the 90's, flop now, not like people go crazy to emulate it, just loved by some very biased fans. To me theres a TON more better retro gaming machines to feature in retro gamer

I've said it before i do like your articles, i prefer it when you dont write Atari stuff as one moment you moan about people attacking you constantly but then you dont help yourself when you praise the Jag to high heaven (saying it should have appeared in that display for best of british) and how the Lynx was the best handheld ever (really ?). The Jag is rubbish, i personally (just my view) dont want much of it in the mag. Not like there'll ever be a Jaguar bookazine or that. I love the Atari 2600, big fan of the ST, i'm just not a fan of consoles which are crap (and i have tried them), i wont be begging for an Oric/Dragon/Jaguar emulator or looking to download that on my PC, they have to be in the mag (not often) as they're part of gaming history as failed consoles. But they're failed consoles, lets not go overboard and have lots of stuff about them specially from (i hate to say the word) fan boys of the said computer or console. I would say the same if someone whos a huge fan of the Mattel Aquarius kept writing articles about them and wanting more to be in the mag.

In all my years at the forum i've never seen any other writers for RG moan/defend/attack/cant take criticism act like this. You either have to do something else or grow a thicker skin. No other writers rile up people this much over and over. Big NO to more Jag stuff

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:38 am

I never said you were selfish. Not once. I said some people, not you, in response to somebody else. If I meant you I would have said you.

No idea why you just repeated all that stuff about Atari machines again either. You don't like them, fine, I get and I don't honestly care, we all have different tastes. Really no need to keep on going on about it. I already told you I am not doing more Jag stuff and that I don't even have one in my house anymore but there you go again going on about how I am such a massive fanboy etc. Really boring, it really is. I could list 10 machines I like more than the Jag, easily. It doesn't even seem like you read my previous response to you as you just repeated loads of stuff I already answered.

And as for the RVG nonsense, I am not even going to dignify that with a response, I wrote for RG long before I was a member at RVG.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:17 am

I reckon there's room in RG for all machines. Not just the ones that were popular. I love to reminisce about games I had but I equally like reading about games and machines I didn't own.

Jag included. I did think the Lynx was a bit pish tho.
Thoughts and prayers.

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:42 pm

The Laird wrote:
How is me saying I have other stuff a hint more will appear in the mag exactly?

Darran decides what articles people write, we don't just decide for ourselves you know
It's a hint that it might, not that it will. In my eyes, you hinted that it could appear.

No, sorry, I didn't know how it worked.
So Darran asked you to write an article on the vtech Creativision?
That's how it works?

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:01 pm

Yes, of course.

We can submit ideas/suggestions/pitches for articles but the final decision on what goes in the mag is always his (after all he is the editor).

Still not sure why some people are still getting so worked up about an article that appeared back in 2013 (it's near enough 2015 now!) or why such an old post was even bumped in the first place.

Anyway, I would certainly welcome more Saturn stuff in the mag myself. :D

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:52 am

It's simple Kieran. People wind you up because you predictably bite and allow yourself to be drawn into conflicts that you inevitably end up losing. Don't bite and they will get bored and stop doing it. Oh, and the people who purposely wind Kieran up please stop doing it. You're all as bad as each other.

Let's try and start the new year over and have a forum where people share a genuine passion for games, rather than trying to one-up each other.