From the forum issue 120 Favourite fighting game

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Darran@Retro Gamer

From the forum issue 120 Favourite fighting game

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:31 am

What's your favourite one-on-one fighting game?

Hiro

Re: From the forum issue 120 Favourite fighting game

Post by Hiro » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:15 am

Not really a fan of the genre, but my vote goes to Fightin' Spirit for the Amiga. Huge, well animated characters, beautiful backgrounds... could easily be mistaken for a Neo-Geo game. Great use of the glorious AGA chipset.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:22 am

Karate Champ. I've put so many hours and 10p pieces into that game I could probably have bought the arcade cabinet.

Its twin stick control method works far better than odd strings of button presses needed for other fighters, and the physicality of the controls mean I really get into the action and whack those moves home.

Naturally, I'm also a big fan of Way of the Exploding Fist which was the first home computer game to catch the essence of Karate Champ.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:24 am

Tekken 3 - I dread to think how many hours I put into this just trying to memorise Kings throw combos :lol:

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:25 am

IK+ on the Amiga. You don't need all this 3D nonsense to deliver pugilistic perfection, they got it right in 1988 and it still hasn't been bettered, in my opinion. (and I know it's not just boxing but pugilistic perfection just sounds so good).

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:34 am

Tekken in the arcade, as it's the only one I'm any good at. At home, Tekken 3 as it looks a lot better on the Playstation. Dead or Alive 3 on the XBox is a great one too, but Tekken's original arm/leg left/right control system was the best. Later iterations started to get a bit silly with the combos for all the extra characters.

merman

Post by merman » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:37 am

ncf1 wrote:IK+ on the Amiga. You don't need all this 3D nonsense to deliver pugilistic perfection, they got it right in 1988 and it still hasn't been bettered, in my opinion. (and I know it's not just boxing but pugilistic perfection just sounds so good).
But that's one on one on one... :lol:

It has to be Soul Calibur, which made the Dreamcast sing and has a lot of depth. Mixing it with weapons is so much more fun than feet and fists...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:30 pm

International Karate on the C64.
I'd been amazed by Way of the Exploding Fist prior to IK, but when IK arrived I was blown away at the speed of the fighters (in comparison)! Amazing music, fluid controls and to this day I think it is far better than the random button bashing tosh that everyone else harks on about.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:53 pm

it has to be SFII for me but either of the Mega Drive versions because the six button pad is the only way i can do the moves consistently.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:03 pm

The Way of the Exploding Fist is my favourite one on one fighter across all generations of games. It's still brilliant fun against the computer and even better against a mate. It looks stunning and has beautiful music. It's the only one on one fighter that really captured an essence of Japan.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:09 pm

Fighters Megamix - the fanservice, the insanity, the... well, everything really.
Rock solid AM2 fighting mechanics but being to fight as the Daytona car against whatever-the-flip Deku is? Yes please!

Dave300

Post by Dave300 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:15 pm

For the bizarre variety of fighters, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:46 pm

merman wrote:
ncf1 wrote:IK+ on the Amiga. You don't need all this 3D nonsense to deliver pugilistic perfection, they got it right in 1988 and it still hasn't been bettered, in my opinion. (and I know it's not just boxing but pugilistic perfection just sounds so good).
But that's one on one on one... :lol:
err.. but what if I just focus on one of the fighters and leave the other one alone? :wink:

But if it strictly has to be one-on-one... hmm. I would have to say Bangkok Knights on the C64 : a superb game with terrific graphics and huge sprites and dare I say it because I dislike the term, an underrated gem.

ZeroCipher

Post by ZeroCipher » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:15 pm

Mortal Kombat; I was so addicted to that game, crazy gore and fatalities!

That and Shaq Fu ;)
Check my radio show every Tuesday 11pm (GMT) on TotalRock.com & every Saturday 8pm ET on FullFreqRadio.com & 11pm EST on TheMixx.FM also via the TuneIn App. On Demand www.mixcloud.com/djforcex

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:17 pm

I really can't decide between a 3D fighter or a 2D one but I think I will go with King Of Fighters '96. For me the KOF series does everything that the Street Fighter games do, but much better! Of the ones I have played I rank '96 as the best of all, the Saturn port is particularly impressive.