Page 1 of 2

10 years of Retro Gamer

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:56 pm
by russty_russ
I know at the moment "we" are enjoying a nice warm spell of weather at the moment but at the start of next year, Retro Gamer will be 10 years old. I thought I would mention it now as I know any lovingly made feature takes its time to make it from head to print. But who would think it, the first milestone being the 100 issues then Darran making it 100 issues as editor. Now the next milestone of being 10 years old.

Who would think that a magazine that started of as a quarterly would make it to at least 118 issues and on a niche market from those outside of the retro world. So the question is, would there be anything to mark it, theres already been the reprint of issue 1. I'm probably rambling and apologies if I am. Maybe its another opportunity for Darran to get his Mario costume out again :D

Re: 10 years of Retro Gamer

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:19 pm
by Darran@Retro Gamer
It's even more impressive when I've apparently ruined the magazine :p

Re: 10 years of Retro Gamer

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:29 pm
by russty_russ
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:It's even more impressive when I've apparently ruined the magazine :p
I must admit, its only been recently that despite owning every magazine that I've only noticed that the Back To The Nineties feature has been going in month order. I must admit saying to myself... "not another month from the same year!" :)

Re: 10 years of Retro Gamer

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:55 pm
by markopoloman
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:It's even more impressive when I've apparently ruined the magazine :p
Yes, we know. BUT there is an easy fix...

On the front cover, just move Amstrad over one space. This will then list Commodore first and you will be the star that redeemed the magazine :mrgreen: :lol:

Re: 10 years of Retro Gamer

Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:25 pm
by RetroBob
Wow is it really that long, what an impressive number. Well done LP and IP. I look forward to the mag every month, long live RG!

Re: 10 years of Retro Gamer

Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:16 am
by kiwimike
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:It's even more impressive when I've apparently ruined the magazine :p
Despite the grizzles that emerge...something must be being done right! Congratulations on ten years!

I remember a time when old fart gamers like ourselves were desperate for any publications on retro gaming. How spoilt we get...! :wink:

Re: 10 years of Retro Gamer

Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:10 am
by MartynC
I believe Retro Gamer will be 10 years old on January 15, 2014.

Who'd have thought.

Re: 10 years of Retro Gamer

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:44 am
by martyg
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:It's even more impressive when I've apparently ruined the magazine :p
I know that's sarcasm, but it's certainly not true. The original version before you took over was dodgy. Poorly researched articles that were also full of material and images from people's websites without giving any credit. The editorial over site is that of a normal/credible magazine now.

Re: 10 years of Retro Gamer

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:01 pm
by deadpan666
Bloody hell! Retrogamer is just about becoming retro itself! :lol:

I can remember picking up the first mag for my brother when I was working in Virgin Megastore. I started getting it for myself from issue 3...crazy to think that was almost 10 years ago!

Re: 10 years of Retro Gamer

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:17 pm
by kiwimike
martyg wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:It's even more impressive when I've apparently ruined the magazine :p
I know that's sarcasm, but it's certainly not true. The original version before you took over was dodgy. Poorly researched articles that were also full of material and images from people's websites without giving any credit. The editorial over site is that of a normal/credible magazine now.
Yeah, flicking through the issues on the shelf, IMO there is progressive and constant improvement from early to later issues :)

Re: 10 years of Retro Gamer

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:46 pm
by TwoHeadedBoy
deadpan666 wrote:Bloody hell! Retrogamer is just about becoming retro itself! :lol:

I can remember picking up the first mag for my brother when I was working in Virgin Megastore. I started getting it for myself from issue 3...crazy to think that was almost 10 years ago!
Truly shocking, isn't it? I was 18 the first time I bought it :shock:

Re: 10 years of Retro Gamer

Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:01 am
by psj3809
I remember Merman showing me a preview version of the new revamped RG, must have been 2003 then at Boyo's retro do in Kenilworth.

Still amazed a niche magazine like this has hit 100 issues and is still going strong. Good stuff

Re: 10 years of Retro Gamer

Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:45 am
by merman
psj3809 wrote:I remember Merman showing me a preview version of the new revamped RG, must have been 2003 then at Boyo's retro do in Kenilworth.

Still amazed a niche magazine like this has hit 100 issues and is still going strong. Good stuff
2005 actually, the Retro Ball. That was issue 19, Darran's first issue in charge.

Re: 10 years of Retro Gamer

Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:02 am
by psj3809
merman wrote:2005 actually, the Retro Ball. That was issue 19, Darran's first issue in charge.
Damn thats depressing, 8 years ago ! Only seemed like yesterday. Still appreciate you letting me look at that copy, i couldnt wait to get my issue a few weeks later.

Re: 10 years of Retro Gamer

Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:07 am
by kiwimike
TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
deadpan666 wrote:Bloody hell! Retrogamer is just about becoming retro itself! :lol:

I can remember picking up the first mag for my brother when I was working in Virgin Megastore. I started getting it for myself from issue 3...crazy to think that was almost 10 years ago!
Truly shocking, isn't it? I was 18 the first time I bought it :shock:
Wish I had been :lol: