What hardware doesn't get enough love?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RodimusPrime

Re: What hardware doesn't get enough love?

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:25 am

Amstrad CPC 464 without a doubt

The talk of how inferior it is to the Speccy and C64 has just been exaggerated by people who have never played one repeating what they have heard. That and a combination of the majortiy of people owning th other 2 machines and as with any type of instance like this have bashed it so much that its actual reputaion as an inferior machine bears no resemblance to reality.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:09 am

RodimusPrime wrote:Amstrad CPC 464 without a doubt

The talk of how inferior it is to the Speccy and C64 has just been exaggerated by people who have never played one repeating what they have heard. That and a combination of the majortiy of people owning th other 2 machines and as with any type of instance like this have bashed it so much that its actual reputaion as an inferior machine bears no resemblance to reality.
I wouldn't disagree entirely, but don't you think the same applies to most of the other machines that have been mentioned?

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:01 am

Amstrad CPC/CPC Plus/GX4000 Bookazine please. Would only sell to the fans, but perhaps a very limited print run sold at the Imagine site only?

Hardware I would like to see covered would be any of the early & more obscure 8-bits like the Oric etc or even the original Mac.
The Amiga CD32 has had a retroinspection so perhaps would be nice to see a more hardware focused feature.

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:34 am

The Vic-20, Plus/4 and...

The Commodore PET! It's the first proper home computer and we played games on them at school, so no reason why it shouldn't appear in the mag. I'd go for the 4032 model as the main pic :D

If you want to do a few obscure ones, you could possibly get photos by visiting somewhere like The Centre for Computing History, though that's about 2.5 hours away from RG by car. Also, I'm sure there are people here who could take some decent pics of their computers and send you them.

Also I'd love to see an Amiga 1000 in the mag. A friend up the road had one, so I was lucky to have used one.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:16 pm

hydr0x wrote:Nah, the Interton VC4000 was likely designed in Germany too. In fact, I don't think the Game Master was. There are a couple of signs that hint towards it actually being an Asian design that just got sold to Hartung.
How did I know you would disagree . . . .

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:00 pm

What about the Sam Coupe?

TFM

Post by TFM » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:34 pm

Eric wrote:Amstrad CPC/CPC Plus/GX4000 Bookazine please. Would only sell to the fans, but perhaps a very limited print run sold at the Imagine site only?
Yes something for CPC and 6128 Plus / GX4000 would be great. But IMHO a lot of people would buy it. 500 pieces would be a realistic number for copies to be made.

TFM

Post by TFM » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:40 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:Amstrad CPC 464 without a doubt

Yepp, it seems not to be Amstrad CPC world here. However nobody can seriously argue that a specci is superior to the Amstrad (hey, they bought em even at the end ;)). About the C64 - we could discuss the advantages / disadvantages of SID and AY for a long time. Also Sprites contra high resolution and saturated, rich colors.

At the end it always depends what the software companies get out of the hardware - or today it depends what we get out of the hardware.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:45 pm

NorthWay wrote:
jdanddiet wrote:Unfortunately I haven't managed to persuade Robert Madge to interview yet.
Who is he, and where do I need to go and sit on him to persuade him? (No, not that kind of sit, the kind of "Comfortable? Still breathing? You're not calling me fat, are you?"-type sit.)
Robert was essentially the "commercial" man and whilst I'm obviously interested in the design and look of the computer and what ideas they had for it, I also think if the story is to be told it needs the commercial angle, IE why it was so delayed and failed so badly.

I'll ping Mr. Madge again next week.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Eric

Post by Eric » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:08 pm

TFM wrote:
Eric wrote:Amstrad CPC/CPC Plus/GX4000 Bookazine please. Would only sell to the fans, but perhaps a very limited print run sold at the Imagine site only?
Yes something for CPC and 6128 Plus / GX4000 would be great. But IMHO a lot of people would buy it. 500 pieces would be a realistic number for copies to be made.
To be honest the only buyers of a CPC bookazine would be Amstrad fans. Not sure 500 copies would be profitable for Imagine. The ZX/C64 joint book had the appeal of both sets of fans, a CPC edition would be targeting a very low market. Maybe a digital only version could work? Still not the same thing has having a proper print copy.

Would like to see the GX4000 featured indepth hardware.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:01 am

Eric wrote:
TFM wrote:
To be honest the only buyers of a CPC bookazine would be Amstrad fans. Not sure 500 copies would be profitable for Imagine. The ZX/C64 joint book had the appeal of both sets of fans, a CPC edition would be targeting a very low market. Maybe a digital only version could work? Still not the same thing has having a proper print copy.

Would like to see the GX4000 featured indepth hardware.
Yeah, I always thought a 'UK Invasion' bookazine would be great. Amstrads, Dragon, Oric etc...even the Konix!

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:17 pm

I was going to suggest something on the Phillips CD-i but you may have already done a decent article in the past.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:58 pm

ipmarks wrote:IBM PC - the 1981 CGA Model, not the later AT/XT stuff
You know what would be awesome? A series of PC articles, starting with the 5150/XT going all the way up to maybe the early Windows days.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:35 pm

I know a platform that I don't think has had a single mention ever (correct me when I'm wrong):
UNIX+X11

Not saying there are _tons_ of games, but especially multiplayer network games have had roots there. The deranged youths through the ages must have been up to no good on these $tupid expensive systems at times. (And I'm using "platform" in a very generous sense - the good stuff got ported from unix to unix version at least.)

Fawltykog

Post by Fawltykog » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:35 pm

Videomaster Star Chess...

Groovy! :arrow: