Retro Gamer Issue 118 - Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

joefish

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 118 - Feedback Thread

Post by joefish » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:15 am

mikeb wrote:
joefish wrote: I appreciate you may have not had access to every lightgun ever, but it seemed a bit superficial and narrow on the games that piece did cover. Most heinous crime was to say the Wii Zapper was first bundled with Ghost Squad - it first came with a pack-in game, and probably the best game of the lot - Link's Crossbow Training.
Woops, I think space might have been the factor there though, the subs had to remove quite a few tidbits and boxouts from the article in the end to fit everything in - I'll see if I can post the missing bits later if anyone's interested.

[EDIT -the Zapper was released with Ghost Squad first in Japan, and LCT in Europe later.]
Actually I just looked again and I'd missed the double-page spread of games that followed the article. OK then, that was pretty good.

One thing I remember about the Grandstand video game console was even when you were playing the Pong-style Tennis / Football / Squash variants, you could still shoot the ball with the lightgun and it would vanish for a few seconds - making it rather hard for the players!

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:20 pm

joefish wrote:One thing I remember about the Grandstand video game console was even when you were playing the Pong-style Tennis / Football / Squash variants, you could still shoot the ball with the lightgun and it would vanish for a few seconds - making it rather hard for the players!
Heh... I'd forgotten about that. I think I spent many happy hours (or perhaps minutes...) winding my brother up doing it.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:08 pm

Yet another cracking read from the folks at Retro Gamer Towers! :D

rockdjuk

Post by rockdjuk » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:52 am

I wasnt looking forward to this months issue as I feared it was going to be a Nintendo fest . However I was pleasantly surprised .

Mastertronic article was the first I read and enjoyed it though i agree with the poster who said it could have been more in depth .

Actually enjoyed the NES article as well , though i do much prefer the hardware based articles anyway .

Chequered flag making of was a very pleasant surprise as I was only thinking a piece on this game was overdue . Shame that so much of it consisted of " I cant really remember " though .

Defender of the crown piece was good too , though i never played this game i can remember the screenshots almost monthly in the magazines of the day .

Just flicked through the 25 best sega games , but then you know my feelings on lazy list pieces .

No real interest in flashback or dino crisis .

But overall a vast improvement on last months issue .

Also do have to agree with the guy that said the mag has seemed a bit like retro console gamer of recent months . The poor old Atari ST barely gets a look in nowadays .

As for the ongoing debate about xbox/ps2/gamecube coverage , i would love to see these machines retro inspected . Surely an overall lookback at their entire lifetime would fit the retrogamer remit ? I miss the retro inspections too .

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:54 pm

I'll get Kieren on the Atari ST stuff. He did a good article about a year back. It's worth noting as well that we cover stuff that's pitched to us. Oh and that consoles are better than computers ;P

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:30 pm

Don't forget that making of Oids I mentioned ;)

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:28 pm

rockdjuk wrote:I wasnt looking forward to this months issue as I feared it was going to be a Nintendo fest . However I was pleasantly surprised .

Mastertronic article was the first I read and enjoyed it though i agree with the poster who said it could have been more in depth .

Actually enjoyed the NES article as well , though i do much prefer the hardware based articles anyway .

Chequered flag making of was a very pleasant surprise as I was only thinking a piece on this game was overdue . Shame that so much of it consisted of " I cant really remember " though .

Defender of the crown piece was good too , though i never played this game i can remember the screenshots almost monthly in the magazines of the day .

Just flicked through the 25 best sega games , but then you know my feelings on lazy list pieces .

No real interest in flashback or dino crisis .

But overall a vast improvement on last months issue .

Also do have to agree with the guy that said the mag has seemed a bit like retro console gamer of recent months . The poor old Atari ST barely gets a look in nowadays .

As for the ongoing debate about xbox/ps2/gamecube coverage , i would love to see these machines retro inspected . Surely an overall lookback at their entire lifetime would fit the retrogamer remit ? I miss the retro inspections too .
Glad you enjoyed the issue more this month.

As for lists, yes you could argue that they're certainly lighter than our other articles, but I think it's wrong to call them lazy. They still require work to create, just not as much work ;P. Some people hate lists, some love them. Me, I can take or leave them, but they can play an important role in a magazine, as they break the flow of denser articles and give you something to dip in and out one. Personally I like to go that extra mile with a list and at least get some developer input, because I always find that far more interesting, particularly if you're doing a list that features on the cover (like the power-up one we did).

The other reason we do these list is so the readers feel like they're having some say in the magazine. They're not our Mega Drive choices, they're yours and some people are genuinely interested to see if they have the same tastes and interests as their peers. I can totally appreciate if they leave you cold. I can't stand hardware features for example. I find them crushingly dull and boring, but I know a lot of readers love them, so they go in the magazine. If Retro Gamer was made to my tastes it would have crashed and burned a long time ago.But then, who's going to buy a magazine called Bullet Hell?

TMR

Post by TMR » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:26 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:But then, who's going to buy a magazine called Bullet Hell?
Me! =-)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:26 pm

I love lists ! They're not lazy to me, often they make me want to try many of those games out. I've just 'ahem' got a Megadrive emulator on my iphone, so that list is great

I'm not keen on techy hardware specs but i know others are

Fawltykog

Post by Fawltykog » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:04 pm

Classic issue! 'nuff Said.

Fawltykog.
Last edited by Fawltykog on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:56 pm

rockdjuk wrote:Mastertronic article was the first I read and enjoyed it though i agree with the poster who said it could have been more in depth .
Glad you enjoyed it mate. I actually had material that could have spread to an article double the length, but such is the life of a magazine journalist :(
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:01 pm

Not the best issue ever but not the worst either, mediocre really.

Cover is excellent and the Flashback article is just as good, also great are Defender of the Crown and Amazon Queen + Globe Trotters. Paul Davies was good this month

Populous deserves much more space, especially when we see the appalling jag got four pages. Saying that, I thought the jag stuff was highly amusing, wasn't sure if it was a tongue in cheek article (I suspect not), very funny to read about such poor games being given so much praise.

Despite the comedy gold of the jag article, there was even better to come in the NES piece:

"you didn't play games back then, you played Nintendo" good grief!!! without doubt the most stupid thing ever written in RG, how on earth did that get past the editorial team?

Most of this country (and the rest of Europe) played on stuff like the Spectrum, C64 and Amstrads etc. From my childhood the NES was like rocking horse sh1t, nobody had one and most kids had never heard of it either. We know that RG likes to peddle the myth that nintendo saved gaming so it's no surprise to see fantasy statements like that getting in the mag.

I can only imagine that the NES article is aimed at the American market.
Last edited by HalcyonDaze00 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:15 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:"you didn't play games back then, you played Nintendo" good grief!!! without doubt the most stupid thing ever written in RG, how on earth did that get past the editorial team?
I think it's meant in the way that Nintendo was used as a synonym for video games in general back then, which is certainly true for the whole western world except the UK. Just like PlayStation would later be used instead to refer to games in general by the uneducated masses ;)

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:17 pm

And yet no one minds the phrase when it is applied to atari :p
But yeah what Hydrox said.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:21 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:Not the best issue ever but not the worst either, mediocre really.

Cover is excellent and the Flashback article is just as good, also great are Defender of the Crown and Amazon Queen + Globe Trotters. Paul Davies was good this month

Populous deserves much more space, especially when we see the appalling jag got four pages. Saying that, I though the jag stuff was highly amusing, wasn't sure if it was a tongue in cheek article (I suspect not), very funny to read about such poor games being given so much praise.

Despite the comedy gold of the jag article, there was even better to come in the NES piece:

"you didn't play games back then, you played Nintendo" good grief!!! without doubt the most stupid thing ever written in RG, how on earth did that get past the editorial team?

Most of this country (and the rest of Europe) played on stuff like the Spectrum, C64 and Amstrads etc. From my childhood the NES was like rocking horse sh1t, nobody had one and most kids had never heard of it either. We know that RG likes to peddle the myth that nintendo saved gaming so it's no surprise to see fantasy statements like that getting in the mag.

I can only imagine that the NES article is aimed at the American market.

I have not picked up the mag yet. really looking forward to it. in regards to your Atari jag comments, by any chance did a certain forum member have input into that.