Retro Gamer Issue 118 - Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

JetSetWilly

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 118 - Feedback Thread

Post by JetSetWilly » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:45 am

Bought my issue today, and it looks a cracker. Was the last copy as well, tucked in front of the Volume 7 bookazine....which I also bought :D
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:22 pm

A good issue. Nice to see another of my reviews in the mag although I wasn't expecting it to be F17 Challenge.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:10 pm

Top issue for me, with one article really of great interest, the Mastertronic one, just the name to this day makes me all warm and fuzzy inside, yes they were responsible for some truly shocking games especially in the early days, but they were soon churning out some real classics, at a ridiculous low price.

I still have a stack of these games in the attic mainly for Spectrum, but also a sprinkling for Amstrad, MSX, Vic 20 and C64, from the brilliant artwork to the innovative distribution system, they are responsible for some of my greatest early gaming memories, at a time when I could not afford full price games, I could get at least one game a week from my local newsagent, who had a cabinet stuck to the wall, next to the till, usually always something caught the eye in there.

I am sure I would not have the interest in games that I do now if it were not for them, so this was a brilliant article for me, such a well put together piece, even down to the pages done out in the style of the early boxes, great to hear how it was all run back in the day, and what they are doing now, excellent stuff, the only problem I have is that it was not long enough, mainly because I could have read 20 pages on that company and it's games and not got bored.

Enjoyed the NES piece, exactly what it said it would be, a celebration of a great machine.

Flashback is a true classic and well deserving of it's cover status, first played it on PC, and then later on Jaguar, Sega CD and CDi, any excuse to play through it again, very interesting to hear all about it, and what a struggle it was with the sequel, that I for one just could not get on with.

The Laird's Jaguar piece should be enough for anyone to accept the machine is capable of quality software, sadly there will always be some that will just go by what they have read and knock the machine, despite I wager never giving one a proper go, I look forward to your article next month, and I am glad Darran is getting you on some ST stuff, there really has not been enough of that in the mag.

Checkered Flag was a game I sunk hours into with my brother, and came with our Spectrum, we spent ages trying to shave seconds off the times, did not know a thing about it's creation, so all good there.

The lightgun piece was a fun read, I had a pretty good time with the Snes scope back in the day, X-zone and Battleclash were decent, but what were Nintendo thinking with the design?

Really enjoyed the Top Ten 25 Megadrive games, cannot understand why some say these list articles are lazy, the games still have to be researched and commented upon, and I cannot disagree with any of the chosen ones.

Defender Of The Crown has been in my collection for well over 20 years, but I have rarely played it, I must put that right.

A superb issue then, a brilliant effort to all involved and special thanks and congratulations to Darran on your first 100 issues.

necronom

Post by necronom » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:39 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:"you didn't play games back then, you played Nintendo" good grief!!! without doubt the most stupid thing ever written in RG
The stupidest thing I've ever read in RG was in the same article, but was a quote from Ste Pickford:

"...the NES controler was way better than any joystick or keyboard available for home computers."

:shock: :lol:

I won't even start on that one, or I'll be ranting for ages.

Another thing in the article that is a problem I often have with the mag as a whole, is the pictures. The article is about the 30th anniversary of the Famicom, and it mentions the red/white plastic and design several times, but doesn't have a single picture of one. I had to have a look on the internet to remind me of exactly how it looked. It seems an obvious omission.

I'm only two thirds through, but it's been a good issue so far, and there are some great looking feature left (DotC, and Paul Norman).
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:57 am

necronom wrote:
HalcyonDaze00 wrote:"you didn't play games back then, you played Nintendo" good grief!!! without doubt the most stupid thing ever written in RG
The stupidest thing I've ever read in RG was in the same article, but was a quote from Ste Pickford:

"...the NES controler was way better than any joystick or keyboard available for home computers."

Another thing in the article that is a problem I often have with the mag as a whole, is the pictures. The article is about the 30th anniversary of the Famicom, and it mentions the red/white plastic and design several times, but doesn't have a single picture of one. I had to have a look on the internet to remind me of exactly how it looked. It seems an obvious omission.

I'm only two thirds through, but it's been a good issue so far, and there are some great looking feature left (DotC, and Paul Norman).
I actually agree with him about the Nes joypad. I used joysticks like the quickshot etc all the time and found them fine, but after using the Nes joypad I could not go back to using joysticks on the 8bits.

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:24 pm

Best bit for me was the Paul Norman article.

Said it before and I'll keep saying it love Forbidden Forest, still remember reading the PCG issue that made it game of the month, it also had a review of Aztec Challenge that was a PCG hit.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:00 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
necronom wrote:

I actually agree with him about the Nes joypad. I used joysticks like the quickshot etc all the time and found them fine, but after using the Nes joypad I could not go back to using joysticks on the 8bits.

This goes back to the old pad or stick argument (and I'm not even going to mention those who prefer playing FPS on pad over mouse/keyboard).

I was a stick man myself, as I find them more accurate. But I have to admit that multi-button games were far better on a pad - even though you do give up on some accuracy. Of course these days with arcade sticks you can play games the best way - with a stick and several handy fire buttons.

In my opinion it comes down to this - if pads really were better than sticks, then why were there no pad controllers in the arcade? (Space Invaders style of left/right buttons doesn't count). Pads are less accurate with directional controls, especially on diagonals. But each to their own... (apart from those who think pads are better than mouse/keyboard in FPS :D )
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:47 pm

I'm only two thirds through, but it's been a good issue so far, and there are some great looking feature left (DotC, and Paul Norman).[/quote]

I actually agree with him about the Nes joypad. I used joysticks like the quickshot etc all the time and found them fine, but after using the Nes joypad I could not go back to using joysticks on the 8bits.[/quote]

This goes back to the old pad or stick argument (and I'm not even going to mention those who prefer playing FPS on pad over mouse/keyboard).

I was a stick man myself, as I find them more accurate. But I have to admit that multi-button games were far better on a pad - even though you do give up on some accuracy. Of course these days with arcade sticks you can play games the best way - with a stick and several handy fire buttons.

In my opinion it comes down to this - if pads really were better than sticks, then why were there no pad controllers in the arcade? (Space Invaders style of left/right buttons doesn't count). Pads are less accurate with directional controls, especially on diagonals. But each to their own... (apart from those who think pads are better than mouse/keyboard in FPS :D )[/quote]

except they were talking about joysticks that were related to home computers not arcades . in that case pads were far better than the one button atari, amstrad and speccy stuff where you had to push up on the joystick to jump and only one fire button.

martyg

Post by martyg » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:51 pm

RodimusPrime wrote: except they were talking about joysticks that were related to home computers not arcades . in that case pads were far better than the one button atari, amstrad and speccy stuff where you had to push up on the joystick to jump and only one fire button.
Someone already mentioned certainly pads are better for multi-button games, but the issue being discussed is not about the buttons. It's about joystick vs. thumbpad. That's simply going to be split down the middle via generation (though there are of course exceptions in both), as you'll find the bulk of people who grew up during the joystick era prefer that and vice versa for thumbpads. I'm one of the people who prefer joysticks, because to me the games I grew up with simply do not control well (accuracy wise) on thumbpads as people have already mentioned as well. As far as the multi-button issue, I loved the Colecovision's Super Action Controller for multi-button games, which was a solution that allowed an arcade style joystick with more than one fire button in an easy to reach format and also came out in 1983.

I'm not a fan of analog thumbsticks either, they're simply horrible for the games of my generation as well and the accuracy was even worse than the thumbpads. If we're talking about something in a thumbpad controller form factor though (i.e. in that size and layout), I thought the best compromise for me was the Neo-Geo Pocket Color's digital thumb-stick, which was simply amazing. First "modern" control format that felt close enough to original joystick usage for me.

Marty

ClassicGaming.Com
Atari Gaming Headquarters - http://www.atarihq.com
Midwest Gaming Classic - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com
Electronic Entertainment Museum (E2M)
Syzygy Company - http://www.syzygycompany.com/

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:23 am

My issue arrived a couple of days ago, thanks very much. Will be reading over weekend, but the features I went straight to are the Flashback and Budget games. Flicking through looks the usual quality IMO.

Added footnote, joysticks vs pads- Would make a great poll/topic and possible feature debate on controllers. I much prefer the Pad to the joystick (arcade panels and the like excepted).

Gibberish Driftwood

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:02 am

My favourites of this issue were the articles about Flight of the Amazon Queen and Dino Crisis.
Two excellent games that deserve more attention.
Also: My quote about Ice Climber made in to the "from the forum" bit. :)
Ken sent me.
Do the Kirby dance: (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')>

rockdjuk

Post by rockdjuk » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:59 am

kiwimike wrote:My issue arrived a couple of days ago, thanks very much. Will be reading over weekend, but the features I went straight to are the Flashback and Budget games. Flicking through looks the usual quality IMO.

Added footnote, joysticks vs pads- Would make a great poll/topic and possible feature debate on controllers. I much prefer the Pad to the joystick (arcade panels and the like excepted).

That sounds like THE most boring feature ever . The debate people are having on this board has already bored me to tears . Who cares ? Use whatever you want .

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:35 am

rockdjuk wrote:
kiwimike wrote:Added footnote, joysticks vs pads- Would make a great poll/topic and possible feature debate on controllers. I much prefer the Pad to the joystick (arcade panels and the like excepted).
That sounds like THE most boring feature ever . The debate people are having on this board has already bored me to tears . Who cares ? Use whatever you want .
Some of us care or it wouldn't have been discussed so much!

While I'm not into the Vs scenario (as you say, use what you like), the history, evolution and suitability of controllers can be interesting. Pairing that with games and emulators so we have the ideal setups for those to give the best experience to replicate the intended methods, particularly when it comes to MAME. Something as simple as using a proper 4 way stick instead of an 8 way one makes a huge difference to some games though you wouldn't think it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:25 am

I actually think its interesting.. I mean these 360 controllers for example, those analog sticks, I have never EVER gotten used to or even felt near to mastering and Ive had a few consoles with them as well as a PC joystick emulating the 360 style, and I am fed up. They make me feel like a completely clueless spaz even though Ive been a gamer some 4 odd decades. Show me the people or persons who invented those things because I want them shot immediately. And not with a fake laser-type gun either. I mean with ... grenades and things. Molotov cocktails.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:44 pm

rockdjuk wrote:
kiwimike wrote:My issue arrived a couple of days ago, thanks very much. Will be reading over weekend, but the features I went straight to are the Flashback and Budget games. Flicking through looks the usual quality IMO.

:lol: That's fair enough, each to their own! I find it interesting myself, various controllers in games. From the early joysticks that were robust but mega uncomfy, to pads and their progression to the 360/PS type pads we have today which IMO are better than they've ever been. Other types like trackball, movement games, guitar hero type and light guns...part of gaming which is really interesting. But I guess it shows the difficulty in creating a mag like this- some would like the feature idea, some would hate it. :)