Retro Gamer Issue 118 - Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 118 - Feedback Thread

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:53 pm

It's worth noting that we highlighted the guns that were good and we could actually get hold of :)
Special thanks to DPrinny for really helping us out and also Mike who kindly brought some in when he had his interview :P

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:57 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:It's worth noting that we highlighted the guns that were good and we could actually get hold of :)
Special thanks to DPrinny for really helping us out and also Mike who kindly brought some in when he had his interview :P
I did offer to lend you my Atari XE light gun :P

It's ok I can give it an article of it's own :mrgreen:

Prof Mango B Coconut

Post by Prof Mango B Coconut » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:11 pm

That Flashback article: Excellent, excellent, excellent!

I didn't know very much about its development, but the Godfather in space? C'mon! I can imagine coffee spewing from lips and jaws dropping when he revealed that. Also that the main platform was the Mega Drive - take that, Amiga fans!

Really looking forward to the HD update now.
Suppose you were an idiot; suppose also that you were an XBox One owner. But I repeat myself.

junkmale

Post by junkmale » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:37 am

Another fantastic issue. Well done to all involved.
I still get that little ripple of excitement whenever a new issue lands on my doormat.
We really are blessed to have this mag.
Long may it continue.

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:50 am

marksmith34 wrote:This is quickly becoming Retro Console Gamer......
Not true.

Flashback was an Amiga game which was then ported over to every system going.

Chequered Flag is a Spectrum game.

Flight of the Amazon Queen was Amiga & DOS.

Mastertronic Article, Spectrum/C64/Amstrad

Defender of the Crown, Amiga game then ported to other systems.

So right there you have alot of home computer stuff in the mag this month alongside the console stuff.

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:54 am

It looks like another good one.

Well done Darran on getting to 100 issues. :D Thanks for doing such a great job (even though we all have a bit of a moan now and again :wink: ).
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:49 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:It's worth noting that we highlighted the guns that were good and we could actually get hold of :)
Had to chuckle at the way I appear to thank myself in my own article... (gives himself pat on the head and a biscuit).

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:49 am

Nice issue, but I'd have preferred a bit more depth in some of the articles. A page of screenshots of some of the best Mastertronic games (like you do for system reviews) would have made for a nice bit of nostalgia.

I appreciate you may have not had access to every lightgun ever, but it seemed a bit superficial and narrow on the games that piece did cover. Most heinous crime was to say the Wii Zapper was first bundled with Ghost Squad - it first came with a pack-in game, and probably the best game of the lot - Link's Crossbow Training.

The Jaguar games 'Minority Report' seems a bit early too, given that next issue is supposed to be featuring the Jaguar 20 years on. Strikes me as a bit of an odd decision.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:00 am

joefish wrote: I appreciate you may have not had access to every lightgun ever, but it seemed a bit superficial and narrow on the games that piece did cover. Most heinous crime was to say the Wii Zapper was first bundled with Ghost Squad - it first came with a pack-in game, and probably the best game of the lot - Link's Crossbow Training.
Woops, I think space might have been the factor there though, the subs had to remove quite a few tidbits and boxouts from the article in the end to fit everything in - I'll see if I can post the missing bits later if anyone's interested.

[EDIT -the Zapper was released with Ghost Squad first in Japan, and LCT in Europe later.]

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:08 am

My copy arrived yesterday but only had chance to have a quick glance at it.

From what i've seen so far it seems like it will be a good read, I'm very much looking forward to reading the Flashback article.

Iain Lee's column some what depressed me though as there are even people my age (27) that don't realise that games once loaded from a cassette :lol: I'd love to set up my speccy in one of the computer rooms at the high school that I work in to see how many of them know how to load the games into it :lol:

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:23 am

joefish wrote:
The Jaguar games 'Minority Report' seems a bit early too, given that next issue is supposed to be featuring the Jaguar 20 years on. Strikes me as a bit of an odd decision.
The main reason for that was to just get people thinking about the Jaguar. We rarely cover it, so thought it was good to get it in people's head before we hit them with a more in-depth article.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:21 pm

Great cover. I've not been much of a fan of the last few.

Well done on your 100th issue Darran.
2015 NL East Division Champions.
2015 NL Championship Winners.
Let's Go Mets!

midlandsfirst

Post by midlandsfirst » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:44 pm

Great Mastertronic article.

Incidentally does anyone know the name of the game on page 63 with the caption "(Spectrum) Of course Mastertronic followed the trend for platform games"

I used to love this game but cant remember the name of it..........

Steve

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:52 pm

I've not got the mag to hand Steve but I suspect from memory that's PSJ's favourite, Caves of doom, which incidentally had a great comical cover by John smythe.

Glad you enjoyed it :-)
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

midlandsfirst

Post by midlandsfirst » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:02 pm

Cheers - thats it!! - strange little game with the flying instead of run/jump (bit like kokotoni wilf in that respect) but for some reason i used to love it lol

Steve