Loading noises

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

OriginalJax

Post by OriginalJax » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:01 am

Oh, and there was a kid at school (I'll mention him - he might even be proud) called Kevin Morton - he actually tried screeching into his 'condenser mic' on his cheapo cassette recorder to see if he could 'make' a game...

(FWIW - he failed)

O-Jax
WTF!? The 80's are GONE!? And they're never coming BACK!?

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:10 am

OriginalJax wrote:Oh, and there was a kid at school (I'll mention him - he might even be proud) called Kevin Morton - he actually tried screeching into his 'condenser mic' on his cheapo cassette recorder to see if he could 'make' a game...

(FWIW - he failed)

O-Jax

I tried that! (I also failed) :oops:
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:36 am

I tried that as well. I made a blackjack game with Strippers. Sadly, I didn't save it. :(

W.S.Edwards

Post by W.S.Edwards » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:30 am

I'll never forget when my grandma was clearing away dinner plates from the table just as the Karate shout from the loading of Way of the exploding fist on the C64 boomed out into the room! She jumped a foot in the air and smashed two plates! I think I knocked some years off her there. Sorry Grandma.

JMK853

Re:

Post by JMK853 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:38 am

Dudley wrote:Mental note, if showing this forum to outsiders to prove Retro Gamers are perfectly normal people, don't show them this thread. ;)

I have consulted with the penguins, and they tell me that I am perfectly normal.

The goldfish agree.

JMK
The past is the future

jumpman

Post by jumpman » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:13 am

I wish I had a recording of it, but still...

CPC loaders were nice. Ooo-weee-oo. Ooo-wee-scrrrr-screeee-screee-screee-scree - this was the sound of the loading screen being drawn a line at a time - Ooo-wee-oo. And so on.

Those sounds were a big part of the micro experience for me :D

Paulie68000

Post by Paulie68000 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:53 am

Hi all,

Just read the bit about the Ocean loading music...

For my sins I wrote the Ocean Loader and the music driver back in '87. The loading tunes were done by Martin Galway, Peter Clarke, and Jonathan Dunn.

Martin did the original two themes first used in HyperSports, Peter Clarke did the remix (called Ocean Dries Up!) and then Jon Dunn did a tonne of new themes (Ocean Loader 4 onwards) whenever we got bored of the same tune.

I've done a couple of articles about Freeload and the music players on my website if you fancy some good old fashioned nerding out, check it out.

http://www.pauliehughes.com/page3/page3.html
http://www.pauliehughes.com/page22/page22.html

All the best,

Paulie.