Help make Retro Gamer better

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:17 am

SirClive wrote:Let me run a Forum Poll of the Month :D .

I know Daz does some single question simple answers polls, but the MegaPolls (tm) that I have been running seem to have generated a lot of interest.
Let's have a poll to see who agrees!

Personally, I say yes.

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:07 am

More proper reviews and previews and screenshots on retro games on all formats please.
Last edited by yethboth on Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:23 am

I've got an idea, why not make Retro Gamer like one of those Japanese games magazines where each page is crammed,jam-packed full of screenshots and pictures and yet they still manage to get some informative writing in. Has anyone ever seen these mags? They are very colourful.

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:42 am

Would posters be a viable option??

A full size poster of the original Barbarian ad would look swell downstairs in my Games room. Ah....Maria Whittaker :lol:

Don't need any Mortal Kombat posters as I already have them all :wink:

But even posters of Outrun, R-Type, King of Fighters, Dragon Ninja, Chase H.Q, Gryzor, Flimbo's Quest :? , or any of the Psygnosis games as the majority of them all featured cool artwork.

Not sure how you'd go about re-producing older stuff, what kind of permission you'd need, costs involved - but I bet there would be a few people happy to see something like that.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:32 am

In many (well, most) cases, the original artwork simply no longer exists, and there's no way you could blow up even mint-condition cover art to a decent size and not end up with a poor-quality result. Of 'freebies', posters are, clearly, one of the cheaper options. What would be a little more interesting for me is if Imagine did a trial run in its store, offering, say, A2 posters of some of its covers, free from cover lines and even logos (such as Oli's Xevious cover, which I suspect he still has the original of, and Wil's stuff).
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:58 am

EvilArmourKing wrote:Would posters be a viable option??

A full size poster of the original Barbarian ad would look swell downstairs in my Games room. Ah....Maria Whittaker :lol:

But even posters of Outrun, R-Type, King of Fighters, Dragon Ninja, Chase H.Q, Gryzor, Flimbo's Quest :? , or any of the Psygnosis games as the majority of them all featured cool artwork.

Not sure how you'd go about re-producing older stuff, what kind of permission you'd need, costs involved - but I bet there would be a few people happy to see something like that.
Didn't we get a Barbarian poster on the flipside of the Game Over poster?
I may be mistaken...
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:15 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
EvilArmourKing wrote:Would posters be a viable option??

Didn't we get a Barbarian poster on the flipside of the Game Over poster?
I may be mistaken...
No, it was the alien playing space invaders.
Splink!

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:03 am

CraigGrannell wrote:In many (well, most) cases, the original artwork simply no longer exists, and there's no way you could blow up even mint-condition cover art to a decent size and not end up with a poor-quality result. Of 'freebies', posters are, clearly, one of the cheaper options. What would be a little more interesting for me is if Imagine did a trial run in its store, offering, say, A2 posters of some of its covers, free from cover lines and even logos (such as Oli's Xevious cover, which I suspect he still has the original of, and Wil's stuff).
Ok, fair enough.

But, you could make some "New" posters. I mean, the King of Fighters artwork in issue 35 was amazing, and I would have loved to have seen some of that grace the walls in my palace :lol:

Mar

Post by Mar » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:08 am

As I mentioned in a previous thread (before the forum got hacked and it was deleted).

I'd really love to see more beta / concept screenshot or art that has never seen the light of day before from games featured in the mag. Dedicating maybe one page per mag to some concept art of a particular game would be awesome. There's nothing like casting your eyes over something that's never been seen by the public before. That is what would make the mag stand out in my opinion, and rather valuable to collectors of the obscure.

For instance. I'd kill whoever would stand between me and Retro Gamer if in that magazine was a glorious page of Last Ninja beta screenshots. And I'm sure a lot of fans of any other particular game would agree.

Rockford

Post by Rockford » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:14 am

Instead of the "Bargain Hunt" feature, which I think as outstayed it's welcome, I would like to see a feature of the top 50/100 games for all the main retro formats, alternating from month to month. Also the same idea but with the most rare games from the main retro formats, also alternating month to month.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:04 am

How about a future feature on Driver and its varients? The original Playstation version blew me away at the time. Have recently been buying GBA games and got hold of a copy of Driver 2. Ok, so its slow and looks crap but it really captures the feel of the original.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:21 am

Bub&Bob wrote:How about a future feature on Driver and its varients? The original Playstation version blew me away at the time. Have recently been buying GBA games and got hold of a copy of Driver 2. Ok, so its slow and looks crap but it really captures the feel of the original.
Probably a touch recent since it's not a retro gaming style.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:41 am

Interesting point - I think driver is around 7 years old which isn't that old.

However, Playstation has since been superseded by the PS2, PSP and PS3 I wonder what (for the purposes of this forum and the mag) makes a game or console retro? Is it age, the technology or something else?

It could be said that when Driver was released it was a retro game as it was a throwback to 70s / 80s cop shows & movies????
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

kiniki

Post by kiniki » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:10 am

I pretty much read everything cover to cover...

The way I tend to read the magazine is to read all the things I am interested in first and once those are done... I will read everything else from front to back.

I wouldn't mind seeing the "Retro Revivals" get a little more attention. I do like the big screenshots, however a little more info about the game would be nice... There is very little space on the page dedicated to the writing and its not uncommon for the article to go off on a tangent. I don't mind a little scene setting, but sometimes I get to the end and think 'what have I actually learned about the game?'.

The "Why you should play" articles I think could also be longer.

Going against the grain a little here, I appreciate the creativity of the "It came from the desert" article, however I wouldn't be a fan of having that type of writing in a feature every month. It was refreshing but it would lose its shine if it was done over and over...

I would love to see more features of old Dos games. Surely I am not the only person who was lumped with Cosmic Cosmo, Duke Nukum, Jill Of The Jungle, Crystal Caves and the like. A feature on Apogee would be nice... I know there was a lot of dross for dos... But it still has its place.

A "Why it's crap" feature would be funny, looking at all the reasons a particular game was really bad.... and maybe try and track down the maker responsible to get their standpoint.

I can understand why the buyers guide is there every month as it seems a necessary evil... But it might be nice to replace it on the odd occasion with old ads and stuff.

For a one off, (I will probably get slated for this) but I remember all the magazines back in the Sega Vs Nintendo days having those 'Readers Pictures' sections.... As a one off it might be amusing to either see if any old ones can be found, or maybe have a competition for new ones... (in a completely 'we know its naff' kinda way.

I had better stop typing now.... :cry:

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:21 am

Dudley wrote:Probably a touch recent since it's not a retro gaming style.
I haven't read it yet, but does the Turbo Esprit piece mention Driver at all? I always considered the Speccy game a proto-Driver.
I do like the big screenshots, however a little more info about the game would be nice... There is very little space on the page dedicated to the writing and its not uncommon for the article to go off on a tangent.
That's kind of the point, as I understand it. It's a place for humour and anecdotes—for the writer to have some fun. In-depth discussion of games occurs in the drier, fact-packed making-ofs, with the classic-game pages being a half-way house between the two.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com