Help make Retro Gamer better

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

tssk

Post by tssk » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:52 am

Give Stuart Campbell a regular gig, it's the highlight of the mag in my opinion.

Speaking of Campbells, I'm guessing that Keith Campbell was too burned by the demise of the old RG to come back out of retirement.

It would be neat to see a series on the evolution of adventure games by him.

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:52 am

Weblaus wrote:Please include with every article who the writer is.
Mm. I agree with that one, with the possible exception of news items (which are rarely credited in magazines, tending to be written in-house). It is a little odd that a writer only gets 'credit' by writing their name in the strap. A little "WORDS: Author Name" near the article's strap/title would make sense.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:02 am

More often than not, the features that don't carry a credit are written by Daz or John. But yeah, a little 'Words: X' somewhere on the first page would be nice.

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:08 am

Weblaus wrote:I think someone wrote this before, but I'd like to add my voice to the suggestion:

Please include with every article who the writer is.

Currently, about maybe half of the features are credited, but I'd really like to know who wrote what.. I'm not quite sure why the author isn't listed the rest of the time, it's not like there's any reason to be ashamed about their work.
I think there's a resistence to doing so because RG doesn't have a "team" as such so it's just a gaggle of random names. Personal slanted articles tend to be credited but making of ones that aren't supposed to be personal generally are not.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:57 am

You won't see my name on an article, you'll know how bad I really am then ;)

For what it's worth though, any 4page plus article that doesn't have anyone's name on it is usually mine. The making of WipEout being the most recent example.

seanmcmanus

Post by seanmcmanus » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:08 am

I'd like to see more news coverage, including homebrew. There is loads going on in the retro scene. Even if there was 300 words on each of the major machines listed on the cover, with URLs for more info, that would be a massive improvement.

Duddyroar

Re:

Post by Duddyroar » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:37 am

Dudley wrote:
Weblaus wrote:I think someone wrote this before, but I'd like to add my voice to the suggestion:

Please include with every article who the writer is.

Currently, about maybe half of the features are credited, but I'd really like to know who wrote what.. I'm not quite sure why the author isn't listed the rest of the time, it's not like there's any reason to be ashamed about their work.
I think there's a resistence to doing so because RG doesn't have a "team" as such so it's just a gaggle of random names. Personal slanted articles tend to be credited but making of ones that aren't supposed to be personal generally are not.
Hmmm. I'd disagree with that. I think there's a core freelance writing staff now. The same writers are contributing month in month out.

I was wondering today - how many issues does RG shift each month? I only ask because I noticed that GamesTM posted results of just over 20,000 readers a month, which was less than I expected.

Confessor

Post by Confessor » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:25 am

what about the rise of videogames as seen in other countries ? The magazines, the computers and consoles that \"made it\" only there, the piracy (in Italy every Speccy and C64 game was availabile in newsstands in pirate compilations, as there was no law against piracy), the software companies and the arcades, and memories from the readers, stuff like that.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:38 am

Well they used to have a 2 page article on computers in other countries, perhaps they got rid of it as it wasnt popular enough.

Biased i know but i enjoy reading about retro gaming in the US or the UK but for me personally i have no interest in other countries.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:06 am

The Global Gaming piece caused a lot of bickering about the validity of the information (particularly the one about Germany). But I have to say that I loved it (the one about Brazil was superb) and I wish it would return. Though now John has left I doubt there is much hope for it in its old format.

Weblaus

Re:

Post by Weblaus » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:46 pm

SirClive wrote:The Global Gaming piece caused a lot of bickering about the validity of the information (particularly the one about Germany).
Heh.. well, yes, I can attest to that. I think John has written lots of lots of great and even excellent articles (I loved the first Illuminati part, for example, but that particular series wasn't his best at times.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:21 pm

I didn't want to name names :wink:

DRS

Post by DRS » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:24 pm

First, the best thing about this thread is how big it is (size does matter ;]). It just shows how much people care about the mag and it makes me go all warm and fuzzy to think readers want to express their loves/hates/desires/passionate ramblings about this little rag that means a lot to us all. Nice.

Second, vanity means I must thank RandySparks, TMR and Weblaus for saying such nice things about the DID column I write. Cheers. And it's true I have no say over what people choose as their desert island games but part of the idea behind the column was to build up an anecdotal body of evidence as to what the best games ever made are. Robotron and Tetris seem to be winning. I half thought about placing them on the island as givens (a bit like the way the Radio 4 programme that has clearly stolen my idea does with the Bible and The Complete Works of Shakespeare) but with games, I'm not convinced we have enough history yet to say what is unquestionably essential yet. Feel free to put your twopennyworth in on that.

I think the idea Darran was floating was how to get more reader input into the pages of RG and I hope that in a small way, I have started that by asking forumites to submit questions for future castaways. RG 37 will have Ste Ruddy as castaway and a page has been put aside for his answers to reader’s questions. If this works, maybe we could also include a reader’s DID selection on that page - it's something that Darran needs to have the last say on but I think it might be a nice addition.

Finally, on the 'readers reviews' thought line, which tends to veer between 'yeah, I'd love to write something' to 'I don't want to read something written by an \"amateur\" in RG'... everything you read in Retro Gamer is by readers (go with me on this one...) I bought the first issue, loved it, wondered whether I might be able to be a part of it, plucked up courage and sent some scribblings to Martyn Carroll, who kindly phoned me back and gave me a crack and this is where I've been ever since. You don't take a degree in writing about retro - you try and do summat you think might be ok, and if it is, you get published. Then you do it again and hope your editor likes it enough to ask you back.

Basically, be confident enough to submit summat if you think it's good enough and don't be discouraged if it doesn't happen first time. The more retro writers the better. Now, I best shut up and finish that last Stella. Sorry.

DRS

Re:

Post by DRS » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:35 pm

tssk wrote:Give Stuart Campbell a regular gig, it's the highlight of the mag in my opinion.

Speaking of Campbells, I'm guessing that Keith Campbell was too burned by the demise of the old RG to come back out of retirement.

It would be neat to see a series on the evolution of adventure games by him.
Sorry, in my previous rambling i forgot to reply to something far more important. Sadly, Keith passed away last year. His wife wrote to me and asked if i could pass on the sad news to readers of RG and people who knew him through his adventure column in the 80s. There will be a tribute to Keith in the next issue of RG. He will be missed.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:20 pm

Thats terrible news, i remember his feature every week in C &VG in the old days, just saw that there was a desert island disks with him in Issue 7 also.

Very sad news