Help make Retro Gamer better

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Darran@Retro Gamer

Help make Retro Gamer better

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:07 am

It's time RG had a rejig. Ideally, I'd like this to start from issue 37 (our 19th issue) but due to the fact that we're on a three week deadline, it's unlikely to be until issue 38.

Anyway, this is your chance to make yourselves heard.

I'm not looking at changing the features too much at the moment (apart from the odd brush-up) no, it's the front end of the mag that I'm aiming to tighten up.

I want to make it more interactive and while I have a few ideas (extra columnists, reader reviews, more home-brew info) I'd obviously like to hear your opinions as well.

Darran

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:19 am

Maybe a readers recommendation, Why you should play?.

I know a readers review poll is going on but this could be a small section, with a few lines and a screenshot. Possibly split it into genre sections so people could try the type of games they like that they may never have heard of.

Although I've never been involved or any good at games maybe a high score section from the one on the forums. Gives people something to aim for if it’s a game they like.

Just my two penneth

Pants

TMR

Post by TMR » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:26 am

Well, i offered me services before regarding homebrew stuff and i sort of keep up with what's being released...

And i still like the idea of a piece about the various compiled BASIC variants for the 8-bits around at the moment. =-)

chinnyhill10

Re: Help make Retro Gamer better

Post by chinnyhill10 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:48 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote: I want to make it more interactive and while I have a few ideas (extra columnists, reader reviews, more home-brew info) I'd obviously like to hear your opinions as well.

Darran
More columnists would be good. Stu did some good stuff for PC Zone. http://www.excellentcontent.com/emuzone/. Also, how about a guest columnist every month or would that be too much effort? I'd love to see the likes of Jon Nash (Your Sinclair), some of the Amstrad Action posse, and the Newsfield crowd contribute in some way. These people were part of the scene, they met the programmers and covered the events in the 8/16 bit world as they happened.

+ would be nice to have a small feature that looked at more obscure gaming each month. Even if it was only 200 words. Why you must play Head Over Heels on the Amstrad PCW or something. Stuff that isn't worth of a full feature or the big two page game reccomendations.

Would also like to see all the reviewers at the front of the mag and just a tad more humour in that part.

One thing missing from the Imagine mag are the retro adverts. Now the old mag had far too many of these. But it would be fun to have the occasional advert, quarter page etc.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:12 am

Rather retro ads than the sodding buyers guide.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

TMR

Re:

Post by TMR » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:14 am

Dudley wrote:Rather retro ads than the sodding buyers guide.
That's a good idea; drop the buyer guide and use a couple of pages for full-page adverts dotted around the mag. The rest can go towards all the homebrew that isn't being reviewed at present! =-)

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:20 am

If not drop the buyers guide, take out the pictures and cram them all into one page or something.

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:09 am

And i still like the idea of a piece about the various compiled BASIC variants for the 8-bits around at the moment. =-)
Are we aiming to cure insomnia with the the new-look mag, then?

How about a column that covers the Wii Virtual Console releases for that month?

I know someone who could do that...

*COUGH*

Sorry, just clearing my throat, like.

chinnyhill10

Re:

Post by chinnyhill10 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:19 am

Or you could do what editors in the 80's did when they ran out of ideas.....

Yes, that's right, a joystick roundup.

Actually, not that bad an idea. Does anyone sell proper digital joysticks for PC use? Not joypads, but proper joysticks like Cheetah and Konix used to make.

Duddyroar

Re:

Post by Duddyroar » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:38 am

chinnyhill10 wrote:Does anyone sell proper digital joysticks for PC use? Not joypads, but proper joysticks like Cheetah and Konix used to make.
Cheetah and Konix - two heavyweights of the peripheral world! What was the joystick that Cheetah made where it sat in the palm of your hand? That was a brave attempt at doing something different. It was also a bit crap, if I recall.

chinnyhill10

Re:

Post by chinnyhill10 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:41 am

Duddyroar wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:Does anyone sell proper digital joysticks for PC use? Not joypads, but proper joysticks like Cheetah and Konix used to make.
Cheetah and Konix - two heavyweights of the peripheral world! What was the joystick that Cheetah made where it sat in the palm of your hand? That was a brave attempt at doing something different. It was also a bit crap, if I recall.
The Bug.

Was a great stick, but broke very easily.

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:44 am

I remember it looking different? Red and black? Was that another one?

EDIT: It was this one!

The Speedking! Totally rubbish! I think mine cost me a fiver, and I felt ripped off even then.
Last edited by Duddyroar on Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seany

Post by Seany » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:44 am

I should have my own column, surely? At the very least a mugshot. Come on Darran - you knows it makes sense.

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:46 am

I don't think you need to write anything seany, just a photo of you each month. The same photo, in fact - readers would need a fresh one each month because they'd have drooled over the previous one and ruined it.

Now that's 'standing copy' that people won't want to get rid of.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:48 am

A few thoughts from me...

I would like to see more original writing. Something more of a story (I loved the It Came from the Desert piece).

How about something to do with memories of old games/consoles/computers rather than just facts.

I've just been on www.retrofusiononline.com and there is a great piece on there called 'why I still play'. Whilst I don't think you should steal that idea, something along a similar track would be great. Though maybe the two page screenshot articles may cover that to some extent.

Archer's peices have gone off a bit recently so give him more room and let him go off on a tangent, thats when he is best.

Anychance of changine the layout/artwork for Why you must play and Eastern Promise? I hate the look of both of those (though the articles are usually good).

Reader Desert Island Disks to acompany the proper one. Just a half page, 1 line about each game and a couple of sentences about the reader.

Add more personality by telling us who writes each article.

Oh and one more idea - PRINT THE FORUMS 100 TOP GAMES!!!!