The Xbox/PS2 coverage discussion thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Is there any machine/era/focus that would stop you buying RG if it became prevalent (plus age)?

Yes (please post) - I'm <20
No votes
Yes (please post) - I'm between 20 and 30
3%
Yes (please post) - I'm between 30 and 40
18%
Yes (please post) - I'm over 40
13%
No (why not?) - I'm <20
No votes
No (why not?) - I'm between 20 and 30
5%
No (why not?) - I'm between 30 and 40
45%
No (why not?) - I'm over 40
16%

Total votes: 38

pantal00ns

Re: The Xbox/PS2 coverage discussion thread

Post by pantal00ns » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:41 pm

I personally have no preference to what 'era' is covered in Retrogamer, unless its current gen with no links to a previous generation console then that kind of defeats the object.

I use to think that not enough focus on platforms or game gernes that interest me, and too much import rubbish etc... That was mainly just rose tinted glasses blocking my view.

So irrelevant waffle over, a game of Halo's stature (not a fan) would certainly have an impact if on the front cover. I know a GTA Vice City has been covered, but GTA's translation to 3D is a game of similar magnitude and would be positive on the front cover/a section in the mag, IMO.

For the Xbox/PS2 years I was 95% a PC gamer (Read counterstrike) so I have little conection to the consoles so I'm playing catchup. I would personally welcome knowing a bit more about them.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:44 pm

We have a making of counter-strike in the issue we're currently working on.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:04 pm

Counter Strike, excellent

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:02 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:We have a making of counter-strike in the issue we're currently working on.
Fire in the Hole! If you need any feedback or contribution from players who witnessed the early success story of CS: I started playing regularly at Beta 4.0, so still in 1999, both online as well as offline at LAN parties.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:54 am

hydr0x wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:We have a making of counter-strike in the issue we're currently working on.
Fire in the Hole! If you need any feedback or contribution from players who witnessed the early success story of CS: I started playing regularly at Beta 4.0, so still in 1999, both online as well as offline at LAN parties.
It's all written now. The biggest issue we have is the fact no one is playing it now (they are all on sourcE) so most of the screenshots are empty as the servers are barren.

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:04 pm

I buy the magazine mainly to read about the games I grew up with and some of the later stuff (would like more N64 coverage please as have recently discovered it via my other half) but I would lose interest if it got to the point where the majority coverage was games from around 2005 upwards. I think I would probably stop becoming a subscriber at that point and mainly pick and choose issues (as might be interested in the odd Wii article etc to see if there are games I should have played). Once the 80s coverage starts drying up and also the 90s then that's possibly about it for me.
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:13 pm

Well that's probably not going to happen until at least 2033 so I think you're pretty safe.

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:21 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
hydr0x wrote:
It's all written now. The biggest issue we have is the fact no one is playing it now (they are all on sourcE) so most of the screenshots are empty as the servers are barren.
You could use recorded demos of CS1.6 matches to take the screenshots. Plenty of those available, and they show the "true" CS, the clan matches. Or just ask websites to use their screenshots.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:51 pm

hydr0x wrote:
You could use recorded demos of CS1.6 matches to take the screenshots. Plenty of those available, and they show the "true" CS, the clan matches. Or just ask websites to use their screenshots.
We can't really do things like that unfortunately.

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:26 pm

hydr0x wrote:
Why? Well, okay, screenshots I can somewhat understand (although with permission I don't see a legal problem), but demos? They are under no legal protection really :/

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:54 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Well that's probably not going to happen until at least 2033 so I think you're pretty safe.
Really? Promise?
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:21 am

I think the balance is just right about now. I think any further coverage of current/next-gen should only be if there is a strong retro link (such as a reboot or sequel to a previously abandoned franchise). Otherwise I would most likely stop buying the magazine.

I'm 30, so I didn't really know what option to select. Can you make it clearer next time please (eg. 20-29, 30-39 instead of 20-30, 30-40)?
hydr0x wrote:
Why not?
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:25 am

kelp7 wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Well that's probably not going to happen until at least 2033 so I think you're pretty safe.
Really? Promise?
I think people are worrying about something that's never been said. Yes there will be Xbox, GameCube and PS2 coverage in the mag, it's inevitable. People in the mid twenties are going to consider these machines retro, so they'd expect to see coverage in a retro magazine. We are not catering to 8-bit owners, we are not catering to 16-bit owners, we are catering to retro gamers and as retro means so many different things to different people you have to ensure you are catering to everyone.

It stands to reason that 8 and 16-bit will always have the most coverage, because they're the oldest systems, but we are getting older as a magazine. We've outlasted many single format mags, the original retro gamer and as we continue new stuff is getting old, it's a unique interesting position for us to be in. I've helmed this magazine for all that time and it continues to flourish. I feel I have a good judge of what readers expect to see in the magazine.

The magazine will always stay skewed towards older systems, but it would be ignorant and selfish of 8-bit fans to not expect the occasional article dedicated to the PS2 etc. Some are acting as if they're going to open issue 125 and it contains the history of Halo, the making of Call Of Duty, an Interview with Cliffy B and the 25 best GameCube games. That won't happen. It might happen in 30 years time, but we'll all be dead by then anyway :P

batman877

Post by batman877 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:36 am

Looking at this from a slightly different angle, when looking at a franchise - for example Mega Man - of course the focus should be on the earlier titles, but I'd but very disappointed not see a little bit of information on the more recent versions to compliment it.

If an article is written about Shinobi - I want to hear about the PS2 version and that the arcade version is an unlockable on the PS3/360 game Ultimate Megadrive Collection. Not a lot... just a bit to compliment the article.

I'd be gutted not to have this content included just because it's too recent in the memory for some.

Retro Gamer does seem to include this at the moment anyway, so thumbs up from me.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:38 am

Some are acting as if they're going to open issue 125 and it contains the history of Halo, the making of Call Of Duty
that would be awesome, would be by far the best selling issue of Retro Gamer ever.

if a few dinosaurs have to be left to die as the mag moves forward then so be it.