Retro Gamer Issue 117 - Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

HalcyonDaze00

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 117 - Feedback Thread

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:39 pm

The problem is though, a lot of the older readers (who have helped make the magazine a success) won't be interested and may stop reading / buying.
maybe, but so what?

the mag has to move with the times, continue to grow and be financially viable, if we lose a few dinosaurs along the way then that's the price of progress. i'm sure they will find some dark corner of the interweb where they can talk about the glory days of up, down, left, right, fire without anybody mentioning the ps2 or xbox.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:56 pm

You know the mag is called Retro Gamer right? :?

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:57 pm

I don't have a problem with PS2/Xbox coverage - it is inevitable that they will be covered in the mag. As long as the old 8-bits and 16-bit systems still get covered in every issue then I really don't see what the problem is.

I personally have no interest in the Ps2 or the Xbox (or the N64/SNES/NES/Master System/Mega Drive or many other consoles) but I still read about them without moaning. This current issue has little in it that really grabs me but I'm not going to moan about it.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:28 pm

The Laird wrote:You know the mag is called Retro Gamer right? :?

exactly, so the onset of a new generation is the perfect time to introduce the odd article here and there. Look no one is talking about huge coverage but the odd little piece being introduced hurts no one.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:33 pm

I mean the xbox and ps2 will be 2 generations old and will have been released 12 years ago.

in comparison when the mag launched the Snes and megadrive were 2 generations old and not far off 12 years since release. No one complained that they were not retro then.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:59 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:I mean the xbox and ps2 will be 2 generations old and will have been released 12 years ago.

in comparison when the mag launched the Snes and megadrive were 2 generations old and not far off 12 years since release. No one complained that they were not retro then.
Difference is that Xbox and PS2 games are just like modern games, only with worse graphics.

Can't say that about the SNES or Mega Drive ;)

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:17 pm

The Laird wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:I mean the xbox and ps2 will be 2 generations old and will have been released 12 years ago.

Difference is that Xbox and PS2 games are just like modern games, only with worse graphics.

Can't say that about the SNES or Mega Drive ;)
Thats a poor reason to be honest.

you could say that about ps1 - ps2 or master system and megadrive.

and its not just about graphics, its about everything as a whole. nearly every game with online integration as a major part, acheivement and reward system, DLC, the introduction of HD support as a standard, the social aspect, etc. in terms of what was possible now and what was possible then is huge. there are so many games that were just simply not possible to do last generation.

just looking at graphics is an extremely simplistic view of things.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:24 pm

I wouldn't worry. its going to happen, no question about that, you cant stand in the way of progress

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:44 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
The problem is though, a lot of the older readers (who have helped make the magazine a success) won't be interested and may stop reading / buying.
maybe, but so what?

the mag has to move with the times, continue to grow and be financially viable, if we lose a few dinosaurs along the way then that's the price of progress. i'm sure they will find some dark corner of the interweb where they can talk about the glory days of up, down, left, right, fire without anybody mentioning the ps2 or xbox.
What on earth is an "older reader" anyway? - I'm 37 and have been gaming since the early 80s, and grew up through the 8-bit era, and can't wait for there to be more coverage of newer stuff (late 90s onwards). Do you mean people in their 50s or something? In the end for me, it means I get to find out about games and consoles I didn't own, and would possibly like to try out.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:47 pm

RodimusPrime wrote: Thats a poor reason to be honest.

and its not just about graphics, its about everything as a whole. nearly every game with online integration as a major part, acheivement and reward system, DLC, the introduction of HD support as a standard, the social aspect, etc. in terms of what was possible now and what was possible then is huge. there are so many games that were just simply not possible to do last generation.

But I am not just looking at graphics, read what I said.

I said that PS2 and Xbox games are just like modern games. As in the style of game, the way they play etc. except with worse graphics. The only major difference games like COD, Halo and GTA from those consoles to modern ones is graphics.

SNES and Mega Drive games were completely different.

I am not the only person who thinks this either, this very same point has been brought up many many times times on here by numerous people.

Anyway we are going of topic now, this is meant to be about issue 117. I finished reading it today and thought it was a good issue. The Breakout piece and Tom Kalinske interview were both bloody fantastic and I also really enjoyed the articles on Myst and Space Invaders.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:53 pm

The Laird wrote:

I said that PS2 and Xbox games are just like modern games. As in the style of game, the way they play etc. except with worse graphics. The only major difference games like COD, Halo and GTA from those consoles to modern ones is graphics.

I am not the only person who thinks this either, this very same point has been brought up many many times times on here by numerous people.
But as you know, Laird, many people have different views of what retro gaming consists of. So a real balance is required between 8,16 and 32 bit stuff. There really should be room for all of us. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:39 am

The Laird wrote:

Anyway we are going of topic now, this is meant to be about issue 117. I finished reading it today and thought it was a good issue. The Breakout piece and Tom Kalinske interview were both bloody fantastic and I also really enjoyed the articles on Myst and Space Invaders.

EXACTLY, people have different views and the magazine should be allowed to cater for everyone without all those " nothing after 16bit " brigade throwing a hissy fit.

you cant have the magazine cater to only your views when as you rightly put it, other people have a different opinion.

To say otherwise just means you are trying to force your opinion onto everyone else and trying to dictate the way the magazine covers games to suit your personal desires.

merman

Post by merman » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:52 am

We don't need to have this discussion again in the issue 117 feedback thread, we've gone over this ground several times.

Darran has made it clear the magazine won't be filled cover to cover with articles on the most recent consoles. Going forward there will be making of articles for Xbox and PS1 and so on, because there are interesting stories to tell.

It's not about neglecting one audience to appeal to another, it's about putting together an informative and interesting magazine that people want to read.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:43 am

Fine. But the balance is wrong in this issue, definitely.
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

Trickster

Post by Trickster » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:45 am

Balance was right for me, so your statement is already proofed wrong^^

Thanks for this nice issue! There have been a lot of articles I enjoyed in it.

The Thief article was too short though...but then again, 10 pages would have been too (for me).
I know you have to make compromises.
But personally I don't like these "look, here are some pictures of comparable games we know with 2 sentences beneath it" boxes.

It just wastes space which could be filled with interesting stuff from the interview or about the gameplay, story etc of the featured game itself etc.
And it screams "lazy" a little bit :wink:
Sorry to say that...