Retro Gamer Issue 117 - Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

fredghostmaster

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 117 - Feedback Thread

Post by fredghostmaster » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:21 am

I enjoyed the issue, good to see articles on Breakout & Space Invaders. Also enjoyed the SMS & Capcom features, a good all round issue IMO.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:27 am

Never knew Naughty Dog did Way Of the Warrior until reading the article. I remember going into Manchester to buy it, needless to say it was another 3DO disappointment, they have come a long way since then.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:01 am

rupert wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Would such an "unloved" console have its own event? Advertised on RetroCollect no less?

http://www.retrocollect.com/Community/v ... eventid=49
I wonder if this is the one that about 10 people attend... Honestly, someone is a serious master system fan as they can't let one word go.
Yes it is, as it is more of a forum meet up for sega8bit forum (and SMSPower!). Otheres are welcome to come along but do not be expecting a big organised event with stuff to buy etc. It's just some like minded gamers getting togethr to play Master System games :) This year will be the 5th event/ meet now and attendance has varied from 6 or 7 up to about 12.
if people want a big organised event with stalls and stuff then play expo is more suited.

I will do my best to make it, it's the weekend before my birthday so either will have loads going on or will be there

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:04 am

antsbull wrote:I find it weird how some people only like reading about things they have already experienced and already know about, and then say that an issue is "mediocre" - which is pretty rude and insulting to all involved making it.

For me, being a Retro-Gamer means that I love reading about games and machines I have never heard of before, and especially love the interviews with developers and designers where you find out anecdotes and about how they managed to get a machine to do something technically, even if I haven't played that game or machine. It always motivates me to go and find out more information and trying emulating that machine or game to find out more.
Great post !

I LOVE the Speccy but if theres an article about a particular C64 game i'll still find that interesting (and often i'll give the speccy version another go after reading the article). As we always say its impossible to please everyone. You would think people would enjoy other articles about systems/games they might not know about but they seem to want it tailored to their particular needs every month !

Must admit i'm not keen on the 'techie' articles but do enjoy the top 20 type of articles , on the other hand some people dislike those with a passion so cant please em all!

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:31 pm

Read it in Smiths.Looked ok.
Going Solo...................

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:55 pm

Anyone notice the tweaked From the Archives format?
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:09 pm

Hmmm.... hardly ever say this but this issue hasn't really grabbed me much at all. My trouble being that I'm mainly into the 8-bit home computers I guess, though I do like the Amiga / 16-bit / PC coverage. Too much 'modern' stuff for me this issue :) plus too much Sega bias. Really don't get on with Sega. In fact, I never got on with consoles at all until recent times when my other half got me into her N64 and have loved a lot of Nintendo stuff since. But even so, this issue is light on stuff that interests me. Ah, well, hardly ever happens. Next issue looks to be a lot better.
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:14 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:If you're an 8-bit fan then yes, this issue might be seen as a little weak, but Retro Gamer is trying to cater to the needs of thousands of readers, so it's inevitable that some issues will leave a bad taste in the mouth, particularly if you just want to be wrapped in a nostalgia blanket. Hopefully you'll find more things of your taste in later issues.
This is an interesting point, however I have noticed that an awful lot of previous issues of RG have seemed so *well* balanced and obviously had something for everyone, whereas this issue (for whatever reason) doesn't seem to match up to that.
MZ-80A Secrets

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:35 am

There have been plenty of times when readers have moaned due to the heavy focus on 8-bit content in certain issue. You've probably missed these complaints because they don't personally affect you.

I can appreciate that there are a few newer things in this issue of the magazine, but as the magazine gets older, newer stuff falls into all the relevant categories for most readers (the amount of mails I get requesting Xbox making ofs is getting silly at the moment) so there will be an inevitable shift.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:05 am

the amount of mails I get requesting Xbox making ofs is getting silly at the moment) so there will be an inevitable shift.
fantastic news, the mag will die on its ar5e if it doesn't start getting PS2/Xbox etc covered more often.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:05 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
the amount of mails I get requesting Xbox making ofs is getting silly at the moment) so there will be an inevitable shift.
fantastic news, the mag will die on its ar5e if it doesn't start getting PS2/Xbox etc covered more often.
all those kids that were 8,10,11,12 etc from 2002 onwards are now adults and the Xbox and PS2 are more realtive to them. Fact is whether you personally feel they are retro or not, those are the consoles they grow up with and they are the untapped readers that are becoming available.

So I totally agree with you, its probably about time to start introducing them.

pforson

Post by pforson » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:27 am

RodimusPrime wrote: So I totally agree with you, its probably about time to start introducing them.
The problem is though, a lot of the older readers (who have helped make the magazine a success) won't be interested and may stop reading / buying.

Could we not have 2 mags per month? 'Retro Gamer' and 'Really Retro Gamer'?
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

kelp7

Post by kelp7 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:03 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
Personally speaking I would just like it to start covering more N64, at least that's still relatively old.
MZ-80A Secrets

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:46 pm

pforson wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote: So I totally agree with you, its probably about time to start introducing them.
The problem is though, a lot of the older readers (who have helped make the magazine a success) won't be interested and may stop reading / buying.

Could we not have 2 mags per month? 'Retro Gamer' and 'Really Retro Gamer'?
problem is that the magazine has to adapt. they need to expand the readership to keep going and if the regular readers are too stubborn or set in their ways to realise that it can only help with the magazines popularity then they are being selfish.

The odd xbox/ps2/GC article would be a welcome addition for me even though I am purely all about the 8 and 16 bit era I still like to read about games I may have missed no matter when.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:18 pm

pforson wrote:
The problem is though, a lot of the older readers (who have helped make the magazine a success) won't be interested and may stop reading / buying
Personally I don't believe that because as long as the balance is right there ought to be no need any silliness like that :wink: I know the team try hard to get the balance right but pleasing everyone has to be a hard process. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD