Retro Gamer Issue 117 - Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 117 - Feedback Thread

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:22 am

Difficult to please everyone

I love the top 30 type lists, as for Thief i wasnt a huge fan of this but its made me want to hunt it out again.

Enjoyed the Master system article, didnt enjoy the techy BBC one last month. But again another example of its difficult to please everyone

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:40 am

rockdjuk wrote:Got to say a really mediocre issue for me ...

There was nothing I immediately turned to as is usually the case .

Master system article was ok , though I'd much prefer an article on it similar to last months bbc article .

Space Invaders seemed to be rehashed stuff we already knew . Breakout article was ok .

As for the rest well most of it I just flicked through , reading bits here and there .

Myst , humans , thief all games I have no real interest in (never even heard of thief) .

Sick of list articles like the capcom one , seems lazy to me .

Best article was the interview with John Kalinske .

Not looking forward to next months - Absolutely no interest in the NES . Only the Mastertronic article looks of any real interest to me.

On the whole the magazine seems to becoming too recent for my tastes with far too much enthasis on consoles .
Sorry you feel that way, but there's still a great range of stuff in there. Lots of people like lists because they spark debate. Yes you could call them lazy compared to our other features, but few videogame magazines offer the sheer amount of content we do. If you're an 8-bit fan then yes, this issue might be seen as a little weak, but Retro Gamer is trying to cater to the needs of thousands of readers, so it's inevitable that some issues will leave a bad taste in the mouth, particularly if you just want to be wrapped in a nostalgia blanket. Hopefully you'll find more things of your taste in later issues.

trickytree

Post by trickytree » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:48 am

Another good issue, thanks.

Regarding the cover, is there genuinely a need to be controversial in a retro magazine? I read the mag to be informed and to feel nostalgic, not to have 20+ year memories be rattled by dubious comments. I can find controversy and debate in the forum, I don't think the magazine is the right place for it (shades of that terrible Kick Off series article again), although I must say that only the cover wording was controversial, the actual article was well written and balanced. I would also agree that as a mainly UK-based mag, you try to take a UK perspective when possible.

But hey, it's just a cover. The rest of the mag was great. :D

Green Bert

Post by Green Bert » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:20 pm

Only just started reading the mag. I like it so far, but I have to chip in and say that the Invasion of the Coin Snatcher article about Space Invader clones has missed out on one of the best I have ever played - the Arcade room in Pyjamarama. I spent ages in that room.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:21 am

trickytree wrote:Another good issue, thanks.

Regarding the cover, is there genuinely a need to be controversial in a retro magazine? I read the mag to be informed and to feel nostalgic, not to have 20+ year memories be rattled by dubious comments. I can find controversy and debate in the forum, I don't think the magazine is the right place for it (shades of that terrible Kick Off series article again), although I must say that only the cover wording was controversial, the actual article was well written and balanced. I would also agree that as a mainly UK-based mag, you try to take a UK perspective when possible.

But hey, it's just a cover. The rest of the mag was great. :D
I concur :D
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:48 pm

Poignant, Iain.. damn you, nearly made me cry! Thankfully the funnier bits *just* stopped me doing so. And the fact that you look like a little hoodlum in the blue singlet. :D

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:44 pm

Well I thought the master system article was excellent, then again I am on another forum with the 2 guys involved with it (and the others that helped with images of the rare items)

the ms is something of an unloved console especially compared to md, snes and some of the tape based formats, hopefully this can sort the balance out

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:18 pm

Would such an "unloved" console have its own event? Advertised on RetroCollect no less?

http://www.retrocollect.com/Community/v ... eventid=49
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Doki Pen

Post by Doki Pen » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:45 pm

Great issue! The Master System feature was fantastic and brought back many memories for me (Alex Kidd, Sonic, Ninja Gaiden). I never fully understood the console's value until I learned a life lesson in 1995, when I foolishly traded the console and the twelve games I had for it in exchange for FIFA '96 for the Mega Drive (which sucked!). I didn't know the SMS was unpopular in the US, they missed out on some cracking games! Sound aside, I always felt Sega's 8-bit console ran rings 'round the NES. (Rings? Sonic? Bad joke). By the way, I miss the "Same name, different game" feature and feel you could do a lot with the SMS with it (or maybe you have, I only got on at issue 89). Also enjoyed the Capcom list (though Mercs could have got a mention) and the Lost Vikings. Overall very happy with this month's issue.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:17 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Would such an "unloved" console have its own event? Advertised on RetroCollect no less?

I wonder if this is the one that about 10 people attend... Honestly, someone is a serious master system fan as they can't let one word go.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:31 pm

I'll never ever let it go :lol:

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:42 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:I'll never ever let it go :lol:
:shock:
:lol:

rupert

Post by rupert » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:12 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Would such an "unloved" console have its own event? Advertised on RetroCollect no less?

I wonder if this is the one that about 10 people attend... Honestly, someone is a serious master system fan as they can't let one word go.
Yes it is, as it is more of a forum meet up for sega8bit forum (and SMSPower!). Otheres are welcome to come along but do not be expecting a big organised event with stuff to buy etc. It's just some like minded gamers getting togethr to play Master System games :) This year will be the 5th event/ meet now and attendance has varied from 6 or 7 up to about 12.

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:52 pm

I find it weird how some people only like reading about things they have already experienced and already know about, and then say that an issue is "mediocre" - which is pretty rude and insulting to all involved making it.

For me, being a Retro-Gamer means that I love reading about games and machines I have never heard of before, and especially love the interviews with developers and designers where you find out anecdotes and about how they managed to get a machine to do something technically, even if I haven't played that game or machine. It always motivates me to go and find out more information and trying emulating that machine or game to find out more.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:47 am

antsbull wrote:I find it weird how some people only like reading about things they have already experienced and already know about, and then say that an issue is "mediocre" - which is pretty rude and insulting to all involved making it.

For me, being a Retro-Gamer means that I love reading about games and machines I have never heard of before, and especially love the interviews with developers and designers where you find out anecdotes and about how they managed to get a machine to do something technically, even if I haven't played that game or machine. It always motivates me to go and find out more information and trying emulating that machine or game to find out more.
Yeah, I agree with that completely, it does grate when the odd person will dis an issue simply due to it not catering to their specific taste when the mag has to cover a huge variety of software and hardware across a wide range of platforms and eras...and attempt to please everyone- But ultimately from a positive angle it does show the passion gamers have for gaming history and the systems they like. Any forum that gets heated, be it sport, music, photography whatever- shows a deep passion for the subject.

But on this issue, looks great and I'm off to order from the store. :)