Favourite Light gun games...

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Laird

Re: Favourite Light gun games...

Post by The Laird » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:17 pm

joefish wrote:
The Laird wrote:Nope, the CD-i gun actually uses motion detection with a box you have to place on top of the TV - just like Wii. Philips were the first to use motion detection in a console and were credited in the original Wii patent.
It's still using lightsource tracking - just IR emitters above the TV instead of watching for the TV's raster scan.
And anyway, the Wii only uses that for targetting, just like a lightgun. Tracking of orientation and movement is done using accelerometers in the controller, which isn't reliant on a line-of-sight.
There is movement tracking too because you can move the gun around on menu screens to select things without pressing anything.

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:49 am

The Laird wrote:There is movement tracking too because you can move the gun around on menu screens to select things without pressing anything.
It's not tracking the motion of the gun. It's only working out where it's pointing, which is not the same thing. A motion tracking system based on accelerometers can tell the difference between moving the gun to the right and just turning it to point over to the right. Just using the IR tracking can't do that. It can only work out where the gun is pointing from the light beam received at the gun. It can't tell how you've moved the gun.

Since there's a steady pair of IR lights it can work out where the gun is pointing at any time, and use it like a cursor. Most home computer/console light gun games need to flash the screen white before attempting to track where the gun is pointing. But not all of them. Time Crisis on the Playstation kept its calibration screen bright enough that it could track the gun at all times and display a live cursor.

Anyway, I'm surprised you have time to waffle on about such b*ll*cks. Has no-one mentioned the codename of the AMD processor in the PS4 to you yet? :lol:

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:04 pm

joefish wrote: Anyway, I'm surprised you have time to waffle on about such b*ll*cks. Has no-one mentioned the codename of the AMD processor in the PS4 to you yet? :lol:
I have zero interest in the PS4.

Balders

Post by Balders » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:00 am

Faves:

Virtua Cop 1 + 2
House of the Dead 1 + 2
Confidential Mission
Space Gun (maybe not actually a light gun?)
Steel Gunner 2 (ditto?)

Honorable mentions:

HotD 3
Time Crisis 1 + 2 (only ones I've played, iirc)
Ghost Squad
Vampire Night
joefish wrote:I think there was a Jurassic Park based bumpy-seat arcade shooting game, but I can't remember if that used lightguns, or joysticks with on-screen cursors. I certainly remember a minecart-based shooter along those lines.
The mine cart game would have to be the totally mental Rail Chase.

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:58 am

Do you know, I just realised I didn't even mention the totally brilliant Police 24/7 in the arcades.

IF ONLY this idea had been implemented into a slightly better game, like Time Crisis.

For those not in the know, the frame around the game could detect the movement of your head and body, thus to hide behind scenery, you ACTUALLY HAD TO CROUCH. It worked amazingly well, but the game suffered from "snail bullets" which you could normally dodge.
ImageImage

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:50 pm

I'd no idea it did that. I like my gun games but passed on it last time I saw it to play some old faves instead. That sounds like a novelty worth trying. Surprised its not been implemented elsewhere either. Wii could at least track gun position and the PS360 has cameras.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:02 pm

Fishsta wrote:Do you know, I just realised I didn't even mention the totally brilliant Police 24/7 in the arcades.

IF ONLY this idea had been implemented into a slightly better game, like Time Crisis.

For those not in the know, the frame around the game could detect the movement of your head and body, thus to hide behind scenery, you ACTUALLY HAD TO CROUCH. It worked amazingly well, but the game suffered from "snail bullets" which you could normally dodge.
How does that work in the PS2 port? It's one that I've never actually picked up but kinda regret now that I hear people talk positively about Police 24/7.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:47 am

Operation Wolf on the Master System will always be the favourite, but there've been others over the years giving a lot of enjoyment... All in the arcades, mostly:

-Crisis Zone (love that destructable scenery!)
-GunBlade NY
-Area 51
-The House of the Dead 1 and 2
-Ghost Squad
-Deadstorm Pirates (this one's ridiculously good, but having two players is fairly essential)
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:57 am

Cheers all, some good titles mentioned here... I've managed to squeeze a good chunk of them into the article, which will be an epic 8-pager, hopefully with pics of a lot of the home light gun hardware too (Darran currently has my GunCon+Time Crisis, DC and Virtua Guns, plus something I found in the loft called a Thundercolt Supermarksman 304 which I've no idea I still had and we're trying to work out what unspecified 70's TV game console it came from ;))

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:27 am

mikeb wrote:something I found in the loft called a Thundercolt Supermarksman 304 which we're trying to work out what unspecified 70's TV game console it came from ;))
This one or this one maybe? At any rate, my money's on it having come with a Grandstand console if it was bought in the UK, hope this helps. :)

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:40 am

Rory Milne wrote:This one or this one maybe? At any rate, my money's on it having come with a Grandstand console if it was bought in the UK, hope this helps. :)
Yup that's it... but the funny thing is I never had a Grandstand, I had something called a Binatone TV Master which was a similar (Pong, 'Football', 'Squash' with 2 paddles, and several Skeet shooting games (shoot the white dot) with a light gun)

The only explanation must be that maybe I picked it up loose at a boot sale or something but it must have been years ago because I really don't remember!

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:35 am

Bloody hell, I had one of those guns, exactly the same, LOVED the satisfying click on the trigger, but like you I don't know what console it was with.

I seem to remember my brother-in-law let me play with it as a child, it was off a console he had that didn't work anymore, so was useless to him.

I also remember I sat on it on the bed and snapped the barrel off. :-(
ImageImage

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:18 am

I would play DC House of the Dead 2 in 2-player mode with a gun in each hand. I actually think it was harder because I couldn't aim anywhere near as well lol. Otherwise, arcade Time Crisis 2, PS Time Crisis and the Jurassic Park arcade game that I can't recall very well... :?

capcomnz

Post by capcomnz » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:38 pm

Duck Hunt on the NES with the Zapper !! Ahhhh....Mr Peepers where have you gone