Favourite Light gun games...

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

jdanddiet

Re: Favourite Light gun games...

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:31 pm

I think the speccy version did have magnum support
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:11 pm

Well, can't really name particular favorites (too similar imho), but you should make sure to take a proper look at the CD-i, one of the best consoles for light gun games.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:30 pm

jdanddiet wrote:I think the speccy version did have magnum support
The light gun version of Operation Wolf was bundled with the Magnum.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:02 pm

Lightgun Games I have enjoyed over the years.

X-Zone - Snes
Battleclash - Snes
Terminator Arcade - Snes
Virtua Cop 1+2 - Saturn
Die Hard Trilogy - PS1 - The Konami gun was ace with part 2.
House Of The Dead - Saturn, looked rough, but played well enough
House of the Dead 2 - Dreamcast
Time Crisis - PS1
Bronx Street Cop - Spectrum, bought with the Cheetah Defender gun, the only one of the pack in games that used it properly, one was a driving game and another a pinball one, controlled by a light gun...er...right.

Never liked Spectrum Operation Wolf with the Magnum gun, it made the screen flash horribly, and was not very accurate, no matter how well it was calibrated, Rookie on the same tape was alright though, despite the white flashes.

I would love to try the CDi games with a gun, I have Who Shot Johnny Rock and Mad Dog Mcree, but no gun, I presume it only works with a CRT telly?

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:37 am

adippm82 wrote:
Never liked Spectrum Operation Wolf with the Magnum gun, it made the screen flash horribly, and was not very accurate, no matter how well it was calibrated, Rookie on the same tape was alright though, despite the white flashes.
Rookie... hell yes, how the hell did I forget that one.

Solar Invasion, too.

It's not that long ago I reviewed the Spectrum Lightgun action pack.
ImageImage

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:53 am

mikeb wrote:Nice list Fishta!

Having a 'discussion' on another forum about whether Mad Dog Mcree deserves a place but hey... I like it despite it perhaps not being that great an actual game...
The thing with Mad Dog McRee is that it finally showed how Laserdisc technology could be used to make a "good" game. I don't think there's been a more "on the rails" shooter ever.
ImageImage

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:51 am

paranoid marvin wrote:As for more modern games, I could never understand the appeal of Time Crisis. Those games are far more hide-em-up than anything else. Gun games should be all about action than spending half your time hidden behind crates.
You don't think the use of cover is appropriate in a firefight? Good luck with that strategy if you do join the army... :lol:

Anyway, that just tells me you're playing it wrong. The point is it gives beginners some extra safety, but as you progress you realise that the time limit means you can barely spend more than a few fractions of a second in cover, using the action to reload more than anything. Compare to Virtua Cop, where if someone points a gun at your head you're not even allowed to duck? :roll:

merman

Post by merman » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:37 am

Going to mention a couple of unusual ones.

Cosmic Storm by Software Creations, bundled with the C64 lightgun - which also came with a lightgun version of Operation Wolf.

Then there's Blaze Out. Ocean put together a multi load game of shooting sequences from the likes of Combat School and Robocop.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:40 pm

adippm82 wrote:Lightgun Games I have enjoyed over the years.
I would love to try the CDi games with a gun, I have Who Shot Johnny Rock and Mad Dog Mcree, but no gun, I presume it only works with a CRT telly?
Nope, the CD-i gun actually uses motion detection with a box you have to place on top of the TV - just like Wii. Philips were the first to use motion detection in a console and were credited in the original Wii patent.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:56 pm

The Laird wrote:
adippm82 wrote:Lightgun Games I have enjoyed over the years.
Nope, the CD-i gun actually uses motion detection with a box you have to place on top of the TV - just like Wii. Philips were the first to use motion detection in a console and were credited in the original Wii patent.
Ah that's interesting cheers for that, the games are pretty good with a pad, but I bet with a gun are much more entertaining.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:15 am

Got to be either Time Crisis (can't remember a specific one as I've never played any single one consistently before stumbling on a different one in the arcade) or House of the Dead for me. With HotD, the first two are great for the cheesiness of the whole thing and the third is ace for the shotgun peripheral.

I'd also suggest Point Blank and possibly that Jurassic Park one where you sit in a jeep cab. I can't remember what the latter was called but I only played it once and sadly, the calibration of the guns seemed to be rubbish. :(

On a more modern note, I've enjoyed Terminator Salvation and Aliens Extermination in the arcade but I wouldn't expect those to be covered in the mag.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

merman

Post by merman » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:48 am

No love for the Super Scope 6?
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:50 am

The Laird wrote:Nope, the CD-i gun actually uses motion detection with a box you have to place on top of the TV - just like Wii. Philips were the first to use motion detection in a console and were credited in the original Wii patent.
It's still using lightsource tracking - just IR emitters above the TV instead of watching for the TV's raster scan.
And anyway, the Wii only uses that for targetting, just like a lightgun. Tracking of orientation and movement is done using accelerometers in the controller, which isn't reliant on a line-of-sight.

ChoroQ

Post by ChoroQ » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:17 pm

Duck Hunt for the NES. It's the perfect Light gun game. Why Can't I Shoot the dog?

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:57 pm

merman wrote:No love for the Super Scope 6?
I did like some of it's games as I mentioned above, X-Zone is a great title for instance, and shooting the arms off giant robots in Battleclash was a very decent distraction for a while.

But the actual gun was horrid, sits on the shoulder, with no trigger finger used, the player having to reach across their own body for a button on the top of the thing, it was very accurate, with the little box on top of the telly for tracking though.

But apart from the mole game, the Nintendo Scope 6 pack was absolutely awful.