From the Forum Question issue 36

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Steve Halfpenny

Post by Steve Halfpenny » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:33 pm

Tomb Raider, which I figure wouldn't have been a fraction as popular as it was if it wasn't for Ms. Croft. Crummy camera angles and poor controls too. Actually put me off a lot of 3D games at the time.

Utini

Re:

Post by Utini » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:29 pm

jimid2 wrote:
Utini wrote:Without question, the most over-rated game of all time is Tempest 2000.
BLASPHEMER! Throw this wretch on the pyre!! :evil:
I've never understood why people rave so much about Tempest 2000; it's not a bad game, but it really isn't the sine qua non that devotees would have you believe.
Hey, Sweden!
They're not Swedish Mac, they're Norwegian!

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:44 am

Right... break out the covered women with rocks ;)

T2K is the reason I just bought myself a Jaguar with RGB cable and a rotary controller...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:41 am

Utini wrote:
jimid2 wrote:
Utini wrote:Without question, the most over-rated game of all time is Tempest 2000.
BLASPHEMER! Throw this wretch on the pyre!! :evil:
I've never understood why people rave so much about Tempest 2000; it's not a bad game, but it really isn't the sine qua non that devotees would have you believe.
Its because its the only game worth keeping for the last of Atari's hardware, programmed by a coding legend. In itself its a straightforward shooter, but contextually its so much more and this impacts on our psychological evaluation of it. And in the correct frame of mind you can really zone out with it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:02 am

Metal Slug 2 - Whilst the first one was challenging but completable, the second just got stupidly impossible. Nice to look at, ridiculous dificulty level.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Lindopski

Post by Lindopski » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:49 am

Half Life 2 - yes it is very pretty and the story is fine but it didnt keep me up till 3am most evenings on two player link up with my mate chris,lots of Lager and crisps like part 1 did.
Retro when it wasnt cool

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:22 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Utini wrote:
jimid2 wrote: BLASPHEMER! Throw this wretch on the pyre!! :evil:
Its because its the only game worth keeping for the last of Atari's hardware, programmed by a coding legend. In itself its a straightforward shooter, but contextually its so much more and this impacts on our psychological evaluation of it. And in the correct frame of mind you can really zone out with it.
The Jaguar did have the only console version of Cannon Fodder with the original tune intact and superb versions of Theme Park, Doom and Pinball Fantasies.

I'd pretty much agree if we're talking exclusives though.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:33 pm

Tomb Raider. It was as if videogames hadn't existed before then. And the 'celebrity' status of Lara Croft.........she's a videogame character for petes sake!
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

scrabbus

Post by scrabbus » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:51 am

Tomb Raider was a pretty awful game on the PS1, I can still remember the ropey collision and dire gameplay. I remember everyone raving on about it, I was very unimpressed, oh look I'm stuck against the wall again and oh look i'm walking in mid air straight off the edge of a cliff. Oh how I hated that game, all hype, all absolute hype.

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:06 pm

Wow. I thought that the original Tomb Raider was one of the finest video games ever. Still , everyone has their opinion I guess
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:24 pm

I agree that the vast majority of retro home computer games haven't aged well at all. Not the same argument as overrated, but just something that was touched on above. I often get excited about revisiting a Speccy or C64 game but more often than not I come away with my memories tarnished.

However, I do think that certain types of games from the 8-bit computer era do stand the test of time. Mainly strategy and turn-based games. Anything that's designed to move slowly really. It's the arcade games that suffer from rose-tinted views the most.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:21 pm

ive only just managed to watch the rise of the robots movie on youtube.........................it burnt my eyes and made my tongue shrivel to the size of a pin head. the intro was the best thing about it. but the animation and collision detection, backgrounds, sounds, the whole bloody game was.....just.......pure........big......saggy.......pants.

i think because of it, ive gone totally loony!!!!!
im a rabbit, me!
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

jimid2

Re:

Post by jimid2 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:00 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Utini wrote:I've never understood why people rave so much about Tempest 2000; it's not a bad game, but it really isn't the sine qua non that devotees would have you believe.
yep yep... I'm pretty sure I've lost entire days to T2K over the years... :wink: tho' I do enjoy Alien vs. Predator as well, myself, me...

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:24 pm

Perfect Dark on N64. It had great reviews and was really hyped up in the magazines. I bought it full price & felt ripped off as it was a very average FPS. Nothing special whatsoever.

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:55 pm

Tomb Raider, Angel of Darkness. So, Tomb Raider had had a pretty good run on the playstation but had got a bit tired towards the end. A few years rest and a whole next gen console to really blow people away. What happened......Complete crap of the worst kind. Everything that was loved had been diluted and all that was new was awful. What Happened??!!
Retrotechy.