From the Forum Question issue 36

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Cornelius

Post by Cornelius » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:49 am

I don't think it's any one single game. It's any game that either had bucketloads of money put behind it to hype it up to make it seem anything more than rubbish or mediocre or else it's any game with 'mature' themes that gets it's hype from articles that appear in normally non-gaming journalism for concerned parents to read.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:51 am

Fat Worm Blows a Sparky

Normally love most of Durrells games and also normally agree with Crash Smashes but i went out and bought this game after reading the great review in Crash, its dire ! So disappointed with it

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:09 am

World of Warcraft

People go on about how great this game is but in realitiy this is a complete pile of crap. People will spend up to 19 hours a day playing this game, stopping only to sleep, You never stop paying for the game as you have to buy a new subsrciption every month. There is no plot there is no end and all you do is tell your character what to do, you are never in complete control.
Watching you sleep since 1990

bolda

Post by bolda » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:11 am

Polybius - didn't do anything strange to my head when I played it! :wink:
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage

frank grimes

Post by frank grimes » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:13 am

Well, I would say Gears of War, but since this is the RG forum, I would have to go for Xevious. I don't hate it, I've just never been a big fan of the game. As for over hyped, Rise of the Robots would take that accolade. Remember that Edge cover? Ouch!
Giving it 100%, 60% of the time.

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:37 am

HALF LIFE....

Bought it played it for 10mins fell asleep.

Woke up downloaded its most famous online Mod then lost nearly 3 years worth of evenings planting bombs, or very occasionally defusing them.

MattC

Re:

Post by MattC » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:50 am

GetDexter wrote:
MattC wrote:Life. Nobody wins in the end.
Er...MattC, don't do this to me. You cannot post such a bleak, depressing sentence at 2:51am and it be your ONLY post at your visit to the forum at that witching hour PLUS have it devoid of a smiley... :(

Are you okay!! Speak to me!!! Things will start looking up soon, I'm sure !!!!
Hi Dex! Good to see you back again!

Don't worry, I'm fine, not suicidal or depressed or anything (no more than usual anyway). I was trying to come up with an overrated computer game but apart from games like Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter (which I think are overrated simply because I don't like them) I couldn't think of one, hence my post. It was intended as a sort of nihilistic philosophical statement not a cry for help :)

You're right though, I should have put a smiley in there. Not this one: :( but probably this one: :wink: This one, maybe too much: :lol:

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:03 am

Second Life

It's the most talked about 'game' in every news media for some reason. But is it any fun playing? No.

MattC

Re:

Post by MattC » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:12 am

pantal00ns wrote:
MattC wrote:Life. Nobody wins in the end.
The Grim Reaper usually scores a few points :wink:

yethboth

Rise Of The Robots - NOT THE WORST GAME EVER!

Post by yethboth » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:10 pm

I remember when Rise Of The Robots was released on the Consoles, it was classed as the worst beat'em up ever. I personally disagree, I bought this game on the Super Nintendo and I was amazed by the graphics for a 16 bit system and I thought the gameplay was straightforward to play with easy to handle controls with no complex and endless amount of special moves to perform. The soundtrack was cool and impressive to listen to for a 16 bit system. This was my youngest brother's all time favourite game and I enjoyed it alot as well, especially in two player mode. :D

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:49 pm

The Last Ninja (C64)

Beautiful Graphics but appalling controls!

Dudley

Re: Rise Of The Robots - NOT THE WORST GAME EVER!

Post by Dudley » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:21 pm

yethboth wrote:I remember when Rise Of The Robots was released on the Consoles, it was classed as the worst beat'em up ever. I personally disagree, I bought this game on the Super Nintendo and I was amazed by the graphics for a 16 bit system and I thought the gameplay was straightforward to play with easy to handle controls with no complex and endless amount of special moves to perform. The soundtrack was cool and impressive to listen to for a 16 bit system. This was my youngest brother's all time favourite game and I enjoyed it alot as well, especially in two player mode. :D
The problem is, all the special moves were completely irrelevent since you could win the game by pressing up and right and holding it there for the duration of the fight.

I don't think many people would debate the technically Rise was quite impressive but it really was a glorified tech demo. The robots couldn't even jump over each other ffs.

Objectively it was an intensely poor game. That DOESN'T mean that for a certain breed of gamer it was impossible to get enjoyment out of. It also didn't help that for robot fighting games, PC users already had the massively superiour "One Must Fall".
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

GetDexter

Post by GetDexter » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:47 pm

Of course, I'm aware of the Rise Of The Robots debacle but never actually played it.

And I want to !

So is it freeware now on PC? If not, how and where can I get hold of a copy to try it? Emulation ????.....
As requested by the Tw@t himself - his account was Hijacked and has had a change of password.

Sorry Dexter!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:16 pm

I never thought much of the graphics on ROTR
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:49 pm

GetDexter wrote:Of course, I'm aware of the Rise Of The Robots debacle but never actually played it.

And I want to !

So is it freeware now on PC? If not, how and where can I get hold of a copy to try it? Emulation ????.....
It's not officially freeware. Also, the PC version is a bad example, if a good version actually exists. I'd get yourself the MD or SNES roms.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com