From the Forum Question issue 36

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

From the Forum Question issue 36

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:56 pm

It's the usual time of the month fellas :)

What's the most overrated game of all time and why?

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:59 pm

Zoids - Every mag seemed to give it a rave review - no-one I knew had a clue how to even play it
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:29 pm

Sonic the Hedgehog. I just never found it fun or compelling in any way. The gameplay consists of tired old 10p-shovelling mechanics from the arcades, bashing you over the head repeatedly until by rote you learn the best way through a stage. There are often entire sections where you simply sit and watch what should be hands-on action, but even the designers know that their system is flawed in the sense that it's simply too fast to follow and control. Trouble is - they're always the coolest-looking bits!

It's probably not the worst of the overrated games, but it stands more guilty than most thanks to a completely undeserved notion of heritage and an expectation of greatness from the franchise - despite it time and time again proving its significant failings.

You know that ASCII game that's currently doing the rounds? The one where you die time and again through no forseeable fault of your own? That sums up perfectly the experience of Sonic the Hedgehog to me.

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:52 pm

Sabreman wrote:Sonic the Hedgehog. I just never found it fun or compelling in any way. The gameplay consists of tired old 10p-shovelling mechanics from the arcades, bashing you over the head repeatedly until by rote you learn the best way through a stage. There are often entire sections where you simply sit and watch what should be hands-on action, but even the designers know that their system is flawed in the sense that it's simply too fast to follow and control. Trouble is - they're always the coolest-looking bits!

It's probably not the worst of the overrated games, but it stands more guilty than most thanks to a completely undeserved notion of heritage and an expectation of greatness from the franchise - despite it time and time again proving its significant failings.

You know that ASCII game that's currently doing the rounds? The one where you die time and again through no forseeable fault of your own? That sums up perfectly the experience of Sonic the Hedgehog to me.
I'm not sure all that'll make it into the mag :wink:

BTW I agree - I think the world can be divided into 2 sorts of people , those who like Mario platformers ,and those who like Sonic platformers
(and now you're going to tell me you don't like Mario either!)
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

bolda

Post by bolda » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:01 pm

Rise Of The Robots - the ultimate example of style over substance. Maybe it was more a case of overhyped than overrated.
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage

bolda

Re:

Post by bolda » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:02 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:BTW I agree - I think the world can be divided into 2 sorts of people , those who like Mario platformers ,and those who like Sonic platformers
(and now you're going to tell me you don't like Mario either!)
Hey, I like both! :D
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:23 pm

Resident Evil. I am baffled how people can rave about it. A superb premise turned into an unplayable mess by a crazy crontrol system that cripples you in any kind of crisis. I pray for a remake that fixes it.

necronom

Post by necronom » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:27 pm

Halo.

It's a science fiction game set on a ringworld with marines, guns, and great graphics. I expected to love it. I put it on and couldn't believe they had ruined the whole thing by putting childish \"Nintendo monsters\" in it, with silly sound effects. I still haven't recovered from the shock of how that could happen to such an otherwise realistic and serious game.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:38 pm

Pong.

Have you SEEN the graphics ferchrissakes?

Lazy, just damn lazy.

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:43 pm

djcarlos wrote:Pong.

Have you SEEN the graphics ferchrissakes?

Lazy, just damn lazy.
And they didn't even offer a 60mhz option!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:50 pm

Final Fantasy VII.

Not because it's a bad game per se, it isn't, though it is not on the same level as the wonderful experiences dolled out by IV and VI (II and III in the West at the time on the SNES). And it certainly is far from the madding praise heaped upon it by so many as the greatest-game-of-all-game-oh-my-gosh-nothing-can-come-close. I think that partly comes from it being for many, their first FF experience.

So what's wrong with the game? After all it stills does many things right in my opinion. Firstly, the hero, the epitome looking at it now to me of an \"emo kid\". Cloud to me was such an uninspiring whiny kid, and many of the other characters had little depth. The twist at the end of disc one was nasty, but for people to hang all of their emotion on it, purlease. And poor Sephiroth, a decent villain, and yet also today also hamstrung with SO many people taking after him online. He'd probably destroy all of them if he had the chance. The story isn't that epic, and quite muddled at times, uneven in its execution. And the less said about the mini-games the better.

So yes, FF7... decent game, nowhere near greatest of all time though.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:53 pm

Metal Gear Solid. Too much creeping and not enough blasting. :lol:
Thoughts and prayers.

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:54 pm

Mayhem wrote:Final Fantasy VII.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

GetDexter

Post by GetDexter » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:05 pm

Conkers.

Like, a year for your conker to mature and then it just falls apart as you start to drill the hole!
As requested by the Tw@t himself - his account was Hijacked and has had a change of password.

Sorry Dexter!

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:42 pm

Strider, the games just a big pile of pap yet a large amount of people constantly drool over it.
Splink!