Favourite Retro Era

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Favourite era

Arcades
10%
8-Bit
52%
16-Bit
38%

Total votes: 73

seanmcmanus

Post by seanmcmanus » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:12 am

Definitely 8-bit and then arcade. I've got virtually no interest in 16bit. I'm pleased to see some 8bit content in the mag again - it was all getting a bit 16bit for me.

It's not just about old games - it's about games making innovative use of primitive technology. The 16bits aren't that big a stretch from what we have now in terms of gameplay and aesthetics.

Sean

jimid2

Post by jimid2 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:25 pm

I voted 8 bit, but it was really 12 bit for me; I started on an NES and played Mario, Metal Gear, Contra, Final Fantasy and Zelda heavily, but it is the TurboGrafx 16 that I remember with the most fondness... That's the system that set me on the road to becoming the pale, badly-dressed, near-sighted geek that I am today. :lol:

woody.cool

Re:

Post by woody.cool » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:27 am

jimid2 wrote:I voted 8 bit, but it was really 12 bit for me; I started on an NES and played Mario, Metal Gear, Contra, Final Fantasy and Zelda heavily, but it is the TurboGrafx 16 that I remember with the most fondness... That's the system that set me on the road to becoming the pale, badly-dressed, near-sighted geek that I am today. :lol:
You & me, both!

incarnates

Post by incarnates » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:05 am

Has to be the 8bit era, Spectrum, C64 + the C16+4. Those were the best gaming days ever.

Wolverine

Post by Wolverine » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:09 am

8 and 16 bit for me. Loved both my CPC 464, and my A1200 and still play enjoy CPC and Amiga games than I do PC. And while I had dabbled with pixelling and basic type in's on the CPC it was on the Amiga I really started to get into wanting to actually make games thanks to products like Deluxe Paint and Amos. Gotta say as a pixel artist kinda guy I wish I had been about 10 years older back in the late 80's/early 90's when the Amiga was king of the home computers. Would love to have worked on then what became some of my favorite games.
Fave machines - CPC, NES, Amiga, PS1&2

Kai

Post by Kai » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:03 pm

16-BIT = AMIGA. Times have never again been so much fun and full of excitement.

woody.cool

Re:

Post by woody.cool » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:22 pm

Kai wrote:16-BIT = AMIGA. Times have never again been so much fun and full of excitement.
... and you also have one of the best Amiga games as your avatar!

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:39 pm

16-bit for me as I grew up with those, and the Amiga is the greatest computer ever! downloaded a torrent full of ipf images for WinUAE and recently bought one of those USB Competition Pro joysticks (which will be arriving at any time now). The games that I'm hooked on at the mo are Apidya (never played this before, awesome shmup!) and Dragon's Lair: Escape From Singe's Castle (linked with Dragon's Lair for the full experience!).

Doesn't mean I don't like the arcades or 8-bits though! Loved those too :)

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

woody.cool

Re:

Post by woody.cool » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:25 am

pottyboy wrote:16-bit for me as I grew up with those, and the Amiga is the greatest computer ever! downloaded a torrent full of ipf images for WinUAE and recently bought one of those USB Competition Pro joysticks (which will be arriving at any time now). The games that I'm hooked on at the mo are Apidya (never played this before, awesome shmup!) and Dragon's Lair: Escape From Singe's Castle (linked with Dragon's Lair for the full experience!).

Doesn't mean I don't like the arcades or 8-bits though! Loved those too :)
I got that torrent of IPF images too - there's some really good games amongst that lot!!!
I'm actually thinking of getting one of them USB Competition Pro joysticks, are they any good? are they as good as the real thing (from back in the day)?
As for Apidya - I'd never played it before until a couple of weeks ago (when I got the download) and I fired it up cos I liked the sound of the name :shock: I'm glad I played it now - it shows what the Amiga was best at - shmups!

felgekarp

Re:

Post by felgekarp » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:48 am

woody.cool wrote: I'm actually thinking of getting one of them USB Competition Pro joysticks, are they any good? are they as good as the real thing (from back in the day)?
I'd have to say no, mainly due to the placement of the buttons.
Splink!

SegaMark

Post by SegaMark » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:03 pm

16-Bit. I was born in '85 and got my first console in '91 which was a Mega Drive. I was raised on Sega. Well until I got a PlayStation in '97...

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:42 pm

As much as I loved my C64 back in the old 8 bit days, the 16 bit era was where my hobby became an obsession.
真・豪鬼

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:22 am

The first computer I owned was a Commodore 16, I was only 6 years old and I became obsessed back then. I've never looked back since.