From the forum issue 117 Best Master System game

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: From the forum issue 117 Best Master System game

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri May 10, 2013 8:58 am

The Master System was the first console I ever bought with my own money. I was working at Gateway at the time on £65 a week and I remember ordering the lightgun pack from my Aunty's club book (remember those?) for about £180 quid (this might be too low). It turned up and I remember being obsessed with Hang on and Safari Hunt, which were clearly better than their NES alternatives :P. The first game I bought was Shinobi and I would soon make bi-weekly trips to Denshams (a local computer shop with a small collection of games) to buy more titles. I recently had the pleasure of buying a very good condition machine from Pantaloons, so I'm hoping to get some 3D glasses (I know they're expensive) and all the other games I owned as an impressionable 15/16-year old.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri May 10, 2013 9:46 am

Action Fighter was brilliant.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri May 10, 2013 12:53 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:The Master System was the first console I ever bought with my own money. I was working at Gateway at the time on £65 a week and I remember ordering the lightgun pack from my Aunty's club book (remember those?) for about £180 quid (this might be too low). It turned up and I remember being obsessed with Hang on and Safari Hunt, which were clearly better than their NES alternatives :P. The first game I bought was Shinobi and I would soon make bi-weekly trips to Denshams (a local computer shop with a small collection of games) to buy more titles. I recently had the pleasure of buying a very good condition machine from Pantaloons, so I'm hoping to get some 3D glasses (I know they're expensive) and all the other games I owned as an impressionable 15/16-year old.
The SMS was the console that converted me back from computers after a long stint with them, after reading the reviews in C&VG. The NES looked good, but the SMS looked great. I had to mail order it to my small hometown, and when it turned up I was very reluctant to go back to work in the afternoon. Happy memories. It had the game card Transbot with it, which was a fun enough shooter, but I also bought Afterburner, Choplifter, outrun and a golf game with it from memory. I spent a few months after that and a good chunk of wages getting a great range of games for it. In later years I got some fab games for it, double dragon and california games becoming favourites on multiplayer game nights :) R-type was a pretty impressive conversion as well from memory.

Trickster

Post by Trickster » Sat May 11, 2013 8:07 pm

Mine would be Golden Axe Warrior.
It's a shameless Legend of Zelda Clone but I didn't have a NES and in the end I think it improved some aspects of LoZ and overall was the better game.
Nice depressing atmosphere!

Second vote would go to Mickey Mouse - Land of Illusion. Beautiful visuals and it included everything that made Castle of Illusion so great but was enhanced with some small Metroid elements. With new abilities a second playthrough of a level was always rewarding.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat May 11, 2013 8:57 pm

Sonic the Hedgehog. Completed it numerous times and never tire of it. Hidden emeralds rock.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

thl

Post by thl » Sun May 12, 2013 1:21 pm

Tough call this one as I enjoyed the selection of games (notably the arcade conversion) that were available for this 8-bit console.

I'm going with Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap. Very innovative game it was that blends well with puzzle solving and it can be incredibly challenging. Really liked the smart gameplay too, which was interesting and it's great to morph into animals from armoured lion to swimming piranha, and of course the miniature mouse.

Rygarman

Post by Rygarman » Sun May 12, 2013 2:58 pm

Wow Master System....totally underrated machine that I had loadsa fun with and stupidly sold for £15 back in the day - including about 20 games one of which was Phantasy Star that's now worth loads !... My favourite game is a hard call... loads of great arcade conversions too...its probably be a fight between Wonderboy, Bubble Bobble, Gauntlet, Rastan, Dragon Crystal and Master of Darkness... and since the latter is realllly dark and moody (I was a right goth at the time)... and a stand a lone...we'll go with that.

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Sun May 12, 2013 3:14 pm

Probably a toss up between Wonderboy 3 and Land of Illusion. Ill go with with WB because im such a fanboy for the series.
Honoruable mentions for:

Master Of Darkness
Psychic World
Wonderboy
Golvellius
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

capcomnz

Post by capcomnz » Sun May 12, 2013 9:52 pm

Ahhhhh....The old Master System. What memories

Well I remember Alex Kidd only as it was the installed game.

There was also Star Wars and Strider ( 1 or 2).
And......
Psycho Fox, Operation Wolf, Prince of Persia, R-Type and California Games

BUT the winner would be....Streets Of Rage 2 ( 1 had poor collison detection). Good old beat-em up at its best. :twisted: I also had one of them (cant remember now) on the Game Gear.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Mon May 13, 2013 7:08 am

I was going to say 'Star Wars', but as that was not exclusive to the Master System I going to go with 'Mickey Mouse Land of Illusion'... the only decent sequel on any format to the excellent 'Castle of Illusion'.

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Mon May 13, 2013 8:18 am

Easily Sonic 1! Who would have thought at the time the SMS version would turn out so damned well. Its a masterclass in 8-bit platforming games with top notch gfx, solid gameplay, wonderful music and a well balanced difficulty level, one of my all time favorites.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Mon May 13, 2013 5:36 pm

Enduro Racer, loved playing the isometric racer despite its difficulty, bloody good game!

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon May 13, 2013 6:03 pm

I haven't played many games on it, but I'd say Sonic 2 was much better than the original. It's like they were deliberately making the original inferior to the MD version to shift more MD systems (no loops for a start). But for the sequel they just set out to make the best Sonic game they could on the hardware.

RuySan

Post by RuySan » Tue May 14, 2013 10:40 am

Phantasy Star. It looked better than many Megadrive games and it was truly epic.

I bought it for my long forgotten Master System after my Amiga broke and before i bought my first PC. It was around 94 and even then it impressed me a lot.

NES Max

Post by NES Max » Tue May 14, 2013 5:23 pm

My favourite SMS games are Rastan, WB in Monster Land and WB III. If pressed to chose, I'd probably pick Monster Land, partly for nostalgia reasons.