From Issue 115 - Best Shooter

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

capcomnz

From Issue 115 - Best Shooter

Post by capcomnz » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:02 am

Not sure if this has been posted esle where but i cant see or find it so will start one.

Lets face it...the humble shooter was were it all started (lets ignore pong for a moment) with Spacewar! on the PDP-1. It went from there and good to see Space Invaders - the grand daddy of them all- in the list.

But what about Gyruss. This from the history.dat file in mame
The game is often described as "Tempest" meets "Galaga" - Galaga because of the space-based theme, enemy formations, and shoot-em-all bonus stages, and Tempest because of the stage layout where the player's ship is constrained to circle around the screen, and enemies appear to come up through a forced-perspective 'tube'.
One of the most memorable features of this game is its soundtrack, which consists of an extremely catchy synthesized rendition of Bach's Tocatta and Fugue in D Minor.

I still remember walking into an acarde in 83 or 84 and hearing that "catchy tune".

merman

Re: From Issue 115 - Best Shooter

Post by merman » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:05 am

I'm a big fan of Gyruss too. First time I played it was on a North Sea ferry heading to Sweden...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:18 am

Love Gyruss, one of my absolute faves. I prefer it to the inspiration of it that is Galaga. I like some of the lesser 'hits' of shooter,Time Pilot, Juno First etc.

piginapoke

Post by piginapoke » Wed May 01, 2013 3:07 am

For me the Gradius series is the best, although i am really liking Dodonpachi Resurrection. something very satisfying to unleash a massive laser on an enemy which absorbs it for a few seconds before exploding. Now THAT is a hard enemy :-)
"An intruder has penetrated our forcefield"

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed May 01, 2013 7:52 am

Yup Gyruss is a great game, but there's only so many games you can ever fit into a list :)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat May 11, 2013 7:43 am

I have played it for years and still not got back to Earth... :oops: :lol:

Got to the 2 warps to Earth, and the little buggers go ballistic. Might boot up the arcader and give it a go. My high score from memory is about 224 K

capcomnz

Post by capcomnz » Sun May 12, 2013 5:05 pm

Yep.....Have to admit every time I fire up an emulator or other i always fall back to Gyruss. I just love the soundtrack...takes me back.
I have managed to get through it but took many many tries and no cheats.

Other shooters are good as well, dont get me wrong. I loved Thunderforce IV on the Megadrive. (again, it might have something to do with the soundtrack!)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon May 13, 2013 12:51 am

You're not wrong, that synthesised classical soundtrack was a big drawcard in it's day. There was something about the graphics at the time that seemed a cut above too.