From the forum issue 116 Best LucasArts game

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

bounty bob

Re: From the forum issue 116 Best LucasArts game

Post by bounty bob » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:05 pm

Behind Jaggi Lines / Rescue On Fractalus, was for me one of the best games Lucasfilm Games ever did, especially as it was also one of the most addictive and playable games I had for my Atari. Can remember playing it for hours, getting harder all the time and thinking at the tender age of 12, while flying my Valkyrie space fighter through the mountains of Fractalus that this is what I'm going to do for a living. So I quit school and joined the Ethercorps and have been shooting down Jaggi saucers ever since! :
Atari 800XL thrashes the C64 every time!!!
(well, nearly everytime)
(OK, some of the time)

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:30 am

From The Eidolon to The Force Unleashed I've played and enjoyed a lot of LucasArts games so it's a challenge, almost as difficult as the most obscure LucasArts puzzles, to identify a favourite. But after much logical musing, and a peek through a handy pair of rose tinted spectacles, I think my favourite is Maniac Mansion on the C64. A fun, unique and engaging gaming experience.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:24 pm

I'm not going to be original here and I say Monkey Island, the whole trilogy (don't get me started on the fourth game... :twisted: ) with the first game on top. Although it's a close call with Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:48 am

I loved the adventure games, but to be a bit different I'll say X-Wing Alliance, it was the pinnacle of the X-Wing series perfectly blending gameplay and story together, and the then modern tech allowed for huge atmospheric space battles. Bring on a new era of space games!
Xbox Live: RetroBob

piginapoke

Post by piginapoke » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:29 am

Fate of Atlantis was utterly fabulous and the Secret Weapons games were great but my favourite of them all is X-Wing:Alliance.

You get to take part in the space battle over Endor, flying the Falcon no less! How can you top that?
"An intruder has penetrated our forcefield"

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:31 pm

I have to say that Lucasfilm (later Lucasarts) is (now was) my favourite software house of all time. Right up until 1999, their titles seemed to always be of the highest standard. There was only the odd suggestion (Masters of Teras Kasi being one) to suggest that they were anything other than a gamer's company.

I'm not sure what happened from 1999-on, but the standard of their games plumneted - the same year that Phantom Menace was released - coincidence? A company that had created outstanding Star Wars titles like Dark Forces, Tie Fighter, X-Wing and (to a lesser extent) Rebel Assault and Shadow of the Empire suddenly started churning out garbage like Battle for Naboo and Force Commander. A company that had created stunning point and clicks released Escape from Monkey Island. In fact they probably released more Star Wars related titles post 1999 than they has in the previous 15 years - and hardly any came close to what had been released previously. A company that had released so many innovative and original titles like Fractulus, Night Shift and and Ballblazer was reduced to churning out boring licened games.

Sure , there were the odd exceptions, but in my eyes they could no longer be relied on to deliver the goods. Which is a shame, considering how great a company they once were.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Eric

Post by Eric » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:22 pm

Rebel Assault on Mega-CD. Good use of FMV for the time and great audio.

piginapoke

Post by piginapoke » Wed May 01, 2013 12:50 am

oh god. i forgot Force Commander. how did that games control system ever get through Quality Assurance?

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:13 am

For me it just has to be Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, rarely has a game before or since captured the feel of the Star Wars universe as this game did, it looked fabulous, still not bad today, has all the music and sounds, and the cut scenes were jaw dropping, add to this the well thought out story, and hours of game time, and you have a classic game, shame they rarely touched this quality in recent years.

kaiserspike

Post by kaiserspike » Thu May 02, 2013 6:46 pm

Has to be TIE Fighter! Immensely satisfying dogfights and it looked great at the time! Take that, Rebel scum!
Destiny!.... you cannot destroy my destiny!

fulgenzio

Post by fulgenzio » Fri May 03, 2013 1:20 pm

The Dig, one of the most underrated adventure games ever.

piginapoke

Post by piginapoke » Fri May 03, 2013 3:00 pm

Fulgenzio, i agree. The Dig was a great adventure game. One of my favourites.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat May 04, 2013 7:55 am

It is a close tie between the original Monkey Island and Tie Fighter.

The case for Monkey Island: Took the point and click adventure to another level. Had some very funny moments and an excellent storyline.

The case for Tie Fighter : Yeah, okay, X-Wing might have got there before with a Star Wars inspired combat simulator, but Tie Fighter developed it even further. The secret missions, much wider variety of craft and of course playing on the "Dark Side"!

I do agree with much of what paranoid marvin said, that LucasArts at one time did have a lot of prestige in the industry, due to their high quality output. Then it went downhill. To some extent, the loss of the adventure game market seems to have had some effect on that. The last decent games from them were the KOTOR ones - which were outsourced! Very sad. :(

ChoroQ

Post by ChoroQ » Mon May 06, 2013 3:16 pm

Day of the Tentacle! Playing with time and historical figures never gets old. This is the one game that does history justice. Lucasarts decided the cd version didn’t need copy protection. Copying cd’s? Move on these aren't the droids you're looking for. The good old days ;-).

Fawltykog

Post by Fawltykog » Sat May 11, 2013 12:26 pm

Rescue On Fractalus.

First ever incident of near fatal underpant soiling action when that sneaky alien jumped up at the windscreen...Classic.