Retro Gamer Issue 115 - Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

BennyTheGreek

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 115 - Feedback Thread

Post by BennyTheGreek » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:46 am

Just read the article on Chris Huelsbeck...loved the part about his nan giving him the money he needed to get a c64

Would love to know what his musical influences were back then when he started....(apart from the god awful Popcorn)

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:19 am

BennyTheGreek wrote:Loved the article on Interceptor Software.....
Yep - this.... really enjoyed it, although some of the absolute rubbish they produced got missed off - Skramble 64 anyone?!? :wink:

70s computing bit looks interesting.

Chase HQ? Is it just me or has this game been in loads of times before?

And, from what I've read so far, not much Wii-U - Hurray!
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

merman

Post by merman » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:00 am

slacey1070 wrote:
There was a Conversion Capers five years ago, issue 46's article on the Amstrad Plus version of SCI, both arcade games have been in Endgame and games from the series have popped up as Retro Revival spreads. About 20 pages of coverage out of more than 120,000...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:36 am

merman wrote:
slacey1070 wrote:
There was a Conversion Capers five years ago, issue 46's article on the Amstrad Plus version of SCI, both arcade games have been in Endgame and games from the series have popped up as Retro Revival spreads. About 20 pages of coverage out of more than 120,000...
No need to be defensive! Only asked.... bit of a trait on here these days sadly.

Was conversion capers really five years ago?!?
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:40 am

I wouldn't say he's being defensive, he was just pointing coverage out.

And yes it really was that long ago. It cropped up in a recent feature about conversions which is probably why you remember it. I think it's also telling that people keep their old issues and return to them, so you may have read something recently, despite it being many years old.

I remember someone complaining that he'd just read a making of feature on Robotron and now here we were some three months later celebrating it again in an anniversary. He'd simply read a back issue from about 4 years previously and forgotten all about it. :P

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:37 am

In fairness, I keep my copies and often dive in for another read - so maybe thats it... by the way, wasn't having a pop, as the new article looks good.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:45 am

I know you weren't Slacey

ulala

Post by ulala » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:57 am

I really enjoyed this edition :)

However, is there an error in the mega-cd article on p51?

"The original Mega-CD system sat alongside the Mega Drive. The revised version eventually sat underneath the Mega drive II"

As far as i know, the first edition mega-cd is the motorised drive version and definitely sits beneath the v1 mega-drive - it makes a really lovely machine combination (as illustrated in the article, though that is showing a modified mega drive). The second edition mega cd was the cheaper top loader and sits to the right of either a v1 or v2 mega drive.

The combined unit is a multi-mega and not "multi-meg" but that's probably just a typo.

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:19 am

ulala wrote:I really enjoyed this edition :)

However, is there an error in the mega-cd article on p51?

"The revised version eventually sat underneath the Mega drive II"

The second edition mega cd was the cheaper top loader and sits to the right of either a v1 or v2 mega drive.
I thought exactly the same thing when I read the Mega CD article, so I dug out my Mega drive II + Mega-CD II combo to check. Turns out the Mega-CD II sits to the right and underneath the Mega Drive II. Basically the Mega-CD II has a tray to its left, for lack of a better description, that you interface / bolt the Megadrive II on to. Strange but true.

I'd post a photo, but I'm more than a little ashamed of the dust and grime that's built up on the systems over the years, plus I'd be disturbing a least one spider!

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:23 am

BennyTheGreek wrote:Would love to know what his musical influences were back then when he started....(apart from the god awful Popcorn)
I can't recall what's in the mag (and my copy's not in the office), but here's the relevant unedited sections of the interview:
I remember one of the first pop music pieces I heard that caught my attention… first of all, it was The Beatles. I got pretty early access to those compilation albums—the red and blue ones. But then I had an epiphany on the radio when I heard Popcorn, which used a synthesiser for the melody. That really caught my attention because it was such a different sound. Maybe for others, this revelation was electric guitar in the ’60s, but I grew up in the ’70s and ’80s, so for me it was the synthesiser sound. From that point on, I listened to everything that sounded like electronic music and I totally wanted to do something like that, but the machinery to make that music was crazy expensive back then. Mid-1970s, a synthesiser cost several thousand and my family didn’t have the means.
Around the time of Giana Sisters and moving to a more pop sound:
Did the samples push the music in another direction? And were your influences still primarily synth-based? The samples seem more rock/pop-oriented.
For me, it was mainly drums—you couldn’t represent them well with the SID chip. I wanted that addition of rhythm and have more space in the music. It was still very much SID-driven. At that time also, I was listening to a lot of pop music with synths. Italian disco era. That kind of thing. Anything new wave—lots of British bands, too. So it wasn’t like just Kraftwerk. I associate more with the ’70s in my interest in electronic music, but I was becoming more interested in pop at the time.
By the time of the Amiga games, Japanese arcade soundtracks along with cinematic scores by John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith and Alan Silvestri and Hans Zimmer appeared to be his biggest influences.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

trickytree

Post by trickytree » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:56 am

Just wanted to say that this is an excellent issue, thanks and well done to all involved. The balance between arcade, computer and console is spot on this time (one of my usual gripes) and every feature is worthwhile. Even the list feature is well thought out - each shmup has influence on the genre rather than just being 'good'.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:27 am

ulala wrote:I really enjoyed this edition :)

"The original Mega-CD system sat alongside the Mega Drive. The revised version eventually sat underneath the Mega drive II"
That's my bad. I wrote the article and clearly got it wrong. The first model does indeed sit underneath. There's even an actual picture of it :oops:

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:58 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:That's my bad. I wrote the article and clearly got it wrong. The first model does indeed sit underneath. There's even an actual picture of it :oops:
Really like the MD 1 + MCD 1, my favourite looking retro system - the large Ready and Access lights are a nice touch.
The MCD 2 + (MD1 or MD2) is functional but very plain.

Quick pic of my original MCD1 with 32X.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:17 am

Cool Robocop! :)

Trickster

Post by Trickster » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:26 am

One of my favorite covers of Retro Gamer!

That's how a tribute cover is done.