Retro Gamer Issue 114 Feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Megamixer

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 114 Feedback

Post by Megamixer » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:10 am

Hopefully I can pick this up tomorrow as it looks like a great issue for me. Personally I always read everything anyway, even all the 8-bit stuff as even though I have little interest in playing games from that era, I love reading about how they were created and how the development scene was in those days. Certainly more interesting than reading about how something today was developed in a corporate environment.

I really like the cover art too; is that a newer piece though? Looks too modern to be from the original Dragon's Lair days.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Trickster

Post by Trickster » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:15 am

Looking forward to the issue, especially the PC games article. :)

But I really want to read more in-depth articles about some of these games (I know some have already been in your magazine, which is great).
These listings always make me hungry for more!!

And I couldn't make all the games out but I'm pretty sure you didn't mention System Shock. It did so much for its time and had a huge influence on later fps titles which add rpg elements to the gameplay.

Another thing: I love the idea of looking at genres in total!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:28 am

I'd imagine it was redone for the HD DVD/Blu-Ray releases. I think it's distinctly Dragon's Lair though :)

Darran

kleinemaus

Post by kleinemaus » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:39 pm

Yeah looks a good issue, gonna read it at work tomorrow.

Just flicking through the platform stuff, too much Mario (ah ok he's the king of the platforms).

BTW, Jump Bug is a horizontal and vertical scroller, the first platform game to side scroll and upwards scroll.
And (I just found out) Jump Bug appeared on the Emerson Arcadia 2001 console in 1982, the first scrolling platform game to appear on a home console.
Maybe it's time to do an Emerson Arcadia feature in a future issue.

Excellent cover actually (Well, I would've put Bounty Bob on the cover and not Miner Willy, but Willy was a big thing for you guys, I understand)

Best quote in the mag:
Dr Paul Johnson: All the Spectrum could do was squeak!

kleinemaus

Post by kleinemaus » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:36 pm

So Mark Turmell was responsible for the awful game which is Gas Hog on VCS.
Turmell = Turmoil (VCS) = 20th Century Fox = Worm War I = Wriggler article: Great and Small. Worm War I, great little shooter on VCS

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:38 am

Worm War I was actually by Dave Lubar who went on to do the mighty A8 masterpiece Pastfinder. Later ported to the C64 but the original was best ;]

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:03 pm

Issue 113 was amazing, this issue felt like it had a lot of filler: diagrams and articles laid out like flow charts etc. RG's strenght is the quality of its articles and I felt this issue didnt play to those strenghts.

though well written as always, for me Dragon's Lair is the Robin Reliant of gaming - a curio and not a good one at that. Not cover star material

I don't mind seeing PS2 stuff in the mag, but for me I'd rather it was concentrated around the games - preferably the lesser known ones - with such a huge catalogue the console must have stacks of unknown gems.

(i assume the Wii game was in there just wind a few people up? It's good game, but its younger than my kids!)

kleinemaus

Post by kleinemaus » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:16 am

I liked 114, nice issue. Killer PC games was very good (maybe missed Return to Zork (Activision) which helped kickstarting CD sales for PCs).
Dragons Lair was excellent, always wanted to play the Adam version (way back I picked up a cib Adam (with Colecovision) for GBP 35.00, bargain), but I never got into collecting Coleco.

kleinemaus

Post by kleinemaus » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:20 am

mikeb wrote:Worm War I was actually by Dave Lubar who went on to do the mighty A8 masterpiece Pastfinder. Later ported to the C64 but the original was best ;]
Yeah, I didn't sort of meant that Turmell wrote Worm War I, I just wanted to make a connection with Wriggler.
A8 originals are always the best, tell RG they could do with this advice.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:50 am

Ordered it last week when it became available in the store, the Dragons Lair and Platformer features alone made it an instant purchase for me personally.

kleinemaus

Post by kleinemaus » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:31 am

Just realized, no mention of Dragon's Lair on Jaguar CD?

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:59 am

Take the writer out and execute him!

Actually it was on the jag, give him a medal :wink:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:59 am

It's arcade perfect on the Jaguar, so also bloody terrible :P

stvd

Post by stvd » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:13 am

Overall, I enjoyed this months issue.
Particularly Deathchase, Wriggler, the PC article.
The "platformer" section wasn't so great. It was always going to be that way after reading about everyone's favourite platformers on the forum. A massive variation in game styles. I felt there was an attempt to cram too much information into so few pages so felt a bit lightweight to me.

And on that note:
Timothy Lumsden wrote:Dragon's Lair is the Robin Reliant of gaming - a curio and not a good one at that. Not cover star material
Or worthy of 10 pages????
"Almost" universally know as the arcade game that "looked great but played sh!t".
It would have been more interesting to read had that point been put to those responsible rather than
talking about it's "timeless appeal". Really? :)

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:39 am

Regardless of what people think of dragon's lair as a game you cant argue upon its importantance to gaming. There was nothing like it around at the time, and it set a new standard or gaming. The fact that it continues to get released 30 years after its release speaks plenty for its longevity. It's a landmark game, it deserves coverage.