Retro Gamer Issue 114 Feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

jdanddiet

Retro Gamer Issue 114 Feedback

Post by jdanddiet » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:32 am

Includes:-

30 Years of Dragon's Lair
Evolution of Platformers
PS2 Celebration
Bizarre Creations FTA
Speed Demon
Making of Wriggler
30 Years of Deathchase
Making of Bubsy
20 Killer PC Games

Plus loads more and the usual regulars
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

The Laird

Re: Retro Gamer 114 Feedback

Post by The Laird » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:42 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3PH1patOw4

I was surprised nobody has posted a feedback thread I was just about to do so myself, link for Darran's video is above.

I have to say that this is possibly the worst issue of Retro Gamer for me that I can ever remember. There is not even 1 article in it that interests me this month.

Dragon's Lair and Bubsy were both terrible games and Punch Out just seems like a cash-in to coincide with the Wii U VC release. I know everything I need to know about Deathchase, it gets talked about all the time.

The PC games feature sent me to sleep, the PS2 article has no place in a retro mag and the Bizarre Creations FTA seemed to talk far too much about modern games for my liking.

The list article is just filler about a genre I don't care for and as much as I love No More Heroes on my Wii I don't want to read about it in the magazine.

I am sorry to start this off with bad feedback but I have been subscribing to RG for years and never been so disappointed by an issue.

The cover is nice though so I will give it that.
Last edited by The Laird on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:43 am

Mine will be at the office and with the snow I won't be able to get it for a day or two. But that list of contents sounds ace. Looking forward to it!

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:55 am

Laird you obviously don't know it's actually just Deathchase :wink:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:06 pm

jdanddiet wrote:Laird you obviously don't know it's actually just Deathchase :wink:
:lol:

Just watched Darran's video and I actually think this looks like one of the best in ages. I think the last 2 issues have really upped the standard and got me back into reading the mag instead of just putting it on the shelf.

Fawltykog

Post by Fawltykog » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:33 pm

Great to see Miner Willy on the cover :D Look forward to snagging a issue when it hits the shops later this week.

FawltyKog. :arrow:

Mire Mare

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 114 Feedback

Post by Mire Mare » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:14 pm

Got my copy this morning and after a quick flick through the articles I'm really looking forward to sitting down with a brew and having a proper read later this afternoon. 8)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:19 pm

Looks a decent issue. Platformers article I'm sure I'll like

Dragons lair article should be good. Bit of a strange game, very unique but gameplay was never stunning. I remember the gameboy version being basically a copy of Rollercoaster

Looking forward to getting this issue. Hopefully monday

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:43 pm

The Laird wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3PH1patOw4

I was surprised nobody has posted a feedback thread I was just about to do so myself, link for Darran's video is above.

I have to say that this is possibly the worst issue of Retro Gamer for me that I can ever remember. There is not even 1 article in it that interests me this month.

Dragon's Lair and Bubsy were both terrible games and Punch Out just seems like a cash-in to coincide with the Wii U VC release. I know everything I need to know about Deathchase, it gets talked about all the time.

The PC games feature sent me to sleep, the PS2 article has no place in a retro mag and the Bizarre Creations FTA seemed to talk far too much about modern games for my liking.

The list article is just filler about a genre I don't care for and as much as I love No More Heroes on my Wii I don't want to read about it in the magazine.

I am sorry to start this off with bad feedback but I have been subscribing to RG for years and never been so disappointed by an issue.

The cover is nice though so I will give it that.
Sorry to hear that, but I'm sure they'll be just as many people who love the issue. It polarises people like that.

I don't really get the PS2 isn't retro arguments. It's 13 years old and in a few months will have been succeeded by two cover consoles. It was more about doing a celebration of the most successful console of all time, rather than stating, hey, we're now covering this machine every month.

If there are concerns we're going to be covering the Ps2 every month then rest assured it won't be. There's way too much 8-16 bit stuff to cover still. We've been covering current games in future classic for a while now, so a wii game shouldn't be a surprise either.

Bizarre is a newer company so they'll be a newer slant. Can't do too much about that.

The quality of the magazine hasn't changed, but if you're the sort of person who doesn't believe anything later than 16-bit doesn't deserve to be in the mag then you're obviously going to be disappointed :)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:57 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote: The quality of the magazine hasn't changed, but if you're the sort of person who doesn't believe anything later than 16-bit doesn't deserve to be in the mag then you're obviously going to be disappointed :)
As a big fan of the Saturn and Jaguar . . . .

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:40 pm

fantastic news to see the PS2 getting more coverage in the mag, not only a brilliant machine but something that will keep the mag fresh and attract more people.

the mag will die on its ar5e if it features stuff like the jag and 3do above the ps2, no question about that.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:06 pm

Yeah good shout!

Would be great to see some 3DO stuff in the mag too, good call HD!

It is the 20th anniversary of both machines this year of course.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:08 pm

So the mag is not allow to feature Jag or 3D0 stuff above the PS2?

Well Darran needs to put them on different pages then.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:13 pm

Yeah, good shout on the 3DO. I think it could get more coverage. There was that '3DO Blaster' card from Creative Labs(of Soundblaster fame) for the DOS PCs. It was an emulator card. That could be covered in a future article about the 3DO's anniversary.

kleinemaus

Post by kleinemaus » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:28 pm

I got the 3DO Blaster (cost me $45.00), it's an ISA card though, and I never had the chance to try it out....yet.
I even got the Creative CD-Rom, which had to be purchased separately (the 3DO Blaster only would work with that drive):

Great item to have in my collection anyway.