German Retro Gamer issue 2

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

kleinemaus

Re: German Retro Gamer issue 2

Post by kleinemaus » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:15 am

hydr0x wrote:
kleinemaus wrote:
hydr0x wrote:You should have done a fact check really. The German edition is completely revised. They even went so far as to alter the occasional UK-biased praise of certain games and systems. Several features have additional info boxes and the like focusing on the German market. On the other hand, they dropped parts of features (like the collector's guide checklists). The mag also has a few newly written pieces. So it is definitely more than a cheap translation.
Wow, OK so that makes it even worse, the Germans don't know their 8-bit video gaming stuff, they obviously never heard of Happy Computer or ASM for research?
No, it doesn't make it worse, as knowledge does not directly result in spotting every mistake. You obviously have never come into the luxury of proof-reading an academic paper, or you'd know this. Besides, the team doing the German edition is not that detached from your precious Happy Computer and ASM. If you had bothered to check some facts before spewing forth your usual vitriol, you'd have noticed that at least the editor-in-chief actually has close ties to the old ASM and Happy Computer staff, as can even be seen and heard publicly in the Spieleveteranen podcast. In fact, at least two of those (Winnie Forster and Heinrich Lenhardt) have actually contributed to this German edition.
Actually I own many books of Winnie Forster, know his background very well and I contacted him numerous times regarding his mistakes he made writing the books, for which he often thanked me (actually listed on his book website).

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:38 am

Actually I own many books of Winnie Forster, know his background very well and I contacted him numerous times regarding his mistakes he made writing the books, for which he often thanked me (actually listed on his book website).
I met Winnie Forster at Retro Reuinted (maybe) and had a good chat - bought his book.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:53 am

kleinemaus wrote:It's the other way around, only to this little UK based forum Philip Price and Gary Gilbertson are unknown to American and worldwide A8 users they are not.
Well on this 'little UK based forum' (Hey nice way to belittle the forum and all of us) for this 'little based retro magazine' articles about popular magazines/games/computers will help sell the mag

Changing the mag into 'Retro Gamer as bought by kleinemaus' featuring articles on unknown programmers/musicians/rarely played games 'might' sell well in Germany but in the UK where the mag/team are based and where RG i think gets the most sales it wont.

AGAIN its difficult to please everyone, i'm sure some guy in Thailand isnt happy the game he played in 1983 on his thai computer isnt featured in the magazine. You cant please everyone. For the magazine to survive in these difficult conditions it has to have a lot of mainstream features and not full of total unknown ones. Surely you must understand that.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:21 pm

kleinemaus wrote:
It's the other way around, only to this little UK based forum Philip Price and Gary Gilbertson are unknown to American and worldwide A8 users they are not.
You are absolutely precious :P

kleinemaus

Post by kleinemaus » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:02 pm

Found another mistake, this time from the German editors:
Stating in the Sid Meier interview that the 3DO was never released in Europe.
What??? I purchased my PAL 3DO in the UK, a Panasonic FZ-1 which I still own.
the console even spawned its own 3DO Magazine in UK, here my magazine collection:

kleinemaus

Post by kleinemaus » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:43 am

BTW, here's a (small) list of famous US programmers who during the 80s, contributed to the success of worldwide known games on the three main 8-bit computers (Apple ][, Atari 8-bit, C64) :

Gary Grigsby
Dan Bunton
Bruce and Roger Carver
Frank Cohen
Douglas Crockford
Michael Farren
Dave Lebling
Paul Murray
Nasir Gebelli
Philip Price
Bruce Artwick
Chris Crawford
Ed Bever
Jim Synoski
Peter Liepa
Steve Hales
Mark Turmell
Joe Hellesen
Roger Keating
Chuck Kroegel
John F Kutcher
Bill Williams
Peter Liepa
John Harris
Sid Meier
Chris Gray
Marc Blank
Scott Lamb
Paul Norman
Doug Smith
Chuck Sommerville
Bill Budge

I could list the games, but this being a retro gaming forum, you guys should know which games they have written.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:22 am

Most of those are known to me or ring bells, I've even met a few of them. But as I spend as much time on US gaming sites as UK, that may be a reason why.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:16 am

kleinemaus wrote:BTW, here's a (small) list of famous US programmers who during the 80s, contributed to the success of worldwide known games on the three main 8-bit computers (Apple ][, Atari 8-bit, C64) :
I'm not sure what the point of that list is, not least given that many of them have been interviewed for Retro Gamer in the past; I've interviewed eight of them myself for making-of articles and other features.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:36 am

kleinemaus wrote: I could list the games, but this being a retro gaming forum, you guys should know which games they have written.
Indeed, indeed. The guys should have played every game ever and know everything about them.

Everything

It's only right.

I think they should be tested kleiney old mate. And if they don't pass then they should obviously be FIRED. There should be no mercy shown here. Do a test with a huge list. Only the strong will survive.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:03 am

kleinemaus wrote:Found another mistake, this time from the German editors:
:roll:

Why dont you contact the german editors from the mag who must list their email address or contact details ? Posting here every day when you've found a comma in the wrong place wont do much.

kleinemaus

Post by kleinemaus » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:59 pm

hydr0x wrote:
kleinemaus wrote:
hydr0x wrote:You should have done a fact check really. The German edition is completely revised. They even went so far as to alter the occasional UK-biased praise of certain games and systems. Several features have additional info boxes and the like focusing on the German market. On the other hand, they dropped parts of features (like the collector's guide checklists). The mag also has a few newly written pieces. So it is definitely more than a cheap translation.
Wow, OK so that makes it even worse, the Germans don't know their 8-bit video gaming stuff, they obviously never heard of Happy Computer or ASM for research?
No, it doesn't make it worse, as knowledge does not directly result in spotting every mistake. You obviously have never come into the luxury of proof-reading an academic paper, or you'd know this. Besides, the team doing the German edition is not that detached from your precious Happy Computer and ASM. If you had bothered to check some facts before spewing forth your usual vitriol, you'd have noticed that at least the editor-in-chief actually has close ties to the old ASM and Happy Computer staff, as can even be seen and heard publicly in the Spieleveteranen podcast. In fact, at least two of those (Winnie Forster and Heinrich Lenhardt) have actually contributed to this German edition.
Hello
here's the answer from Winnie Forster:

Hallo,
danke für Deine Mail.

<< habe vor kurzem RG nummer 2 auf Deutsch gekauft und bin es gerade auf der Arbeit am Lesen.
<< (...) Fehler auf Seite 55, den Ihr vom Englischen RG uebernommen habt:

Ich bin zwar Mitarbeiter der dt. RG, aber kein interner Redakteur, so dass ich Deine Anmerkungen und meine Antwort an Projektchef Jörg weiterleite. Vielleicht richtet er ab der nächsten Ausgabe einen Errata-Kasten ein? Das würde auch in meinen Augen Sinn machen, denn ...

<< Alternate Reality ist ein Atari 8-bit ORIGINAL, und nicht ein Spiel fuer C64, ST, Amiga, auf diese kam es spaeter..

...mit diesem und dem folgenden Punkt hast Du recht. AR ist eine der wichtigsten A800-Originalentwicklungen.

<< Schade das Ihr den Fehler so uebernommen habt.
<< Zweiter Fehler ist das Sid Meier interview, wo in Klammern steht: (der 3DO erschien 1993 in den USA und
<< 1994 in Japan, schaffte es aber offiziell nie nach Europa).

Letzteres ist natürlich falsch. Es gab in Europa letztendlich (= nach der Gehäuse-Revision) genauso viele (oder wenige ;-) 3DO-Konsolen wie in den Staaten oder in Japan - auf jedem der Märkte wurden ein paar hunderttausden Geräte abgesetzt..

<< Der 3DO erschien offiziell in Europa, zumindest in UK, wo ich mir einen PAL 3DO zugelegt habe. UK ist in Europa.

Ja. Siehe "Spielkonsolen & Heimcomputer", Seite 153: Das erste Modell kam in England, die FZ-10-Revision dann Europa-weit auf den Markt.

<< Vielleicht kann man diese Fehler in der naechsten Ausgabe ja richtigstellen.
<< Gruss

Lass hören, falls Du auch in Gameplan-Büchern Fehler oder Ungenauigkeiten findest!

Viele Grüße aus Bayern,
Winnie Forster

http://www.gameplan.de

Quote Winnie Forster: AR (Alternate Reality) is one of the most important A800 Originals.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:06 pm

gotta be good news for the worldwide retro community though?

kleinemaus

Post by kleinemaus » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:21 am

Timothy Lumsden wrote:gotta be good news for the worldwide retro community though?
The important Retro communities already know this

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:08 pm

psj3809 wrote:programmers who once created a single game on the Oric in 1980
You'd have a hard time tracking one of those down for an interview!
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kleinemaus

Post by kleinemaus » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:24 am

Nice thing about Winnie Forster, he thanked me for putting it right, and there might be an erratum in the next issue to put both errors right. That's professional.

Wouldn't happen with the UK Retro Gamer, from my experience here so far (Pengo, Alternate Reality etc...). There's still hope.