Official feedback for Issue 34

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:27 am

Oh poop, my feedback is still missing, never mind. Atleast the forum appears to have most of the delete stuff back, 3 cheers for the IT guy.
Anyway as I said before, absolutly spiffing mag, and I got in the from the forum question which is cool. Thanks RG team
Watching you sleep since 1990

P-Head

Post by P-Head » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:25 am

My post here was lost in the rollback-

It's a really good issue, but I thought it was odd that the Atari 7800 version of Xevious wasn't featured.

I loved the Saturn article.

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Re:

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:31 am

P-Head wrote:It's a really good issue, but I thought it was odd that the Atari 7800 version of Xevious wasn't featured.
There's nothing unique or noteworthy about the 7800 game, it's just a straight port of the coin-op. It's a very good port, but The Definitive... doesn't cover ports unless there's something significantly different in them.

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:50 pm

Finished reading it today... I noticed 2 errors though. Dungeon Master on SNES didn't use the Super FX, but the DSP-2 chip. And it's a picture of Theme Park World in the Saturn screenshots instead of Theme Park...

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:59 pm

As for feedback, I haven't checked to see if mine is still here so I'll put here again:

reading the HoH article made me feel all 'warm and fuzzy' inside :D

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:08 pm

MikeHaggar wrote:Finished reading it today... I noticed 2 errors though. Dungeon Master on SNES didn't use the Super FX, but the DSP-2 chip. And it's a picture of Theme Park World in the Saturn screenshots instead of Theme Park...
I didnt know DM came out on SNES

Is it any good?
do you need a mouse?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:38 pm

Well... I think it's a fairly decent port... But the biggest problem is that it doesn't support the SNES mouse. Same as with the PC Engine CD version really.

sandinista

Post by sandinista » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:01 pm

Worst issue for a while ... bought the last four or so , but not keen on this one . Lack of arcade really , but heh , that`s the way it is. Had a quick read at the local WHS , nothing to really spark my interest .
Love the mag , but still find it lacking in what I want to read . Know this is gonna be caned , but still .

sandinista

Duddyroar

Re:

Post by Duddyroar » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:03 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
MikeHaggar wrote:Finished reading it today... I noticed 2 errors though. Dungeon Master on SNES didn't use the Super FX, but the DSP-2 chip. And it's a picture of Theme Park World in the Saturn screenshots instead of Theme Park...
I didnt know DM came out on SNES

Is it any good?
do you need a mouse?
I stand corrected on the Super FX issue. I knew there was some hardware add-on used and just assumed it was the SFX. I shall stand in an ice-cold river for a few hours as way of punishment. :wink:

As for the quality of the conversion - the previously mentioned lack of mouse control kills it really (strange considering the SNES mouse was already available at this point) and the speed of the game is very slow indeed. The revamped visuals are decent, however.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:24 am

sandinista wrote:Worst issue for a while ... bought the last four or so , but not keen on this one . Lack of arcade really , but heh , that`s the way it is. Had a quick read at the local WHS , nothing to really spark my interest .
Love the mag , but still find it lacking in what I want to read . Know this is gonna be caned , but still .

sandinista
You're not going to get caned at all. You obviously like specific games, and they weren't featured in the mag, so you didn't want to buy it.

Out of interest Sandinista what sort of articles are you looking for (and don't say high score pieces on Gary Whelan) ;)

woody.cool

Re:

Post by woody.cool » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:14 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
sandinista wrote:Worst issue for a while ... bought the last four or so , but not keen on this one . Lack of arcade really , but heh , that`s the way it is. Had a quick read at the local WHS , nothing to really spark my interest .

sandinista
You're not going to get caned at all. You obviously like specific games, and they weren't featured in the mag, so you didn't want to buy it.

Out of interest Sandinista what sort of articles are you looking for (and don't say high score pieces on Gary Whelan) ;)
Oh dear!!! I love RG, and I think the mag is nearing perfection - it's the best read I get all month and gets read from cover to cover repeatedly.

sandinista

Re:

Post by sandinista » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:42 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote: You're not going to get caned at all. You obviously like specific games, and they weren't featured in the mag, so you didn't want to buy it.

Well ..... regular columns by Walter Day , Nicola Salmoria , Todd Rogers , Plenty of Jamma info ( jamma+ peeps ? ) , reviews of new 32-1 type boards , in depth articles on all the old classics , Space Invaders through Pac- Man , interviews with programmers / designers / retailers / distributors of the above . Lengthy reviews of the current crop of Classic arcade films , including High Score , Chasing GHosts , King of Kong . Major reviews of all Uk and US events that celebrate Classic arcade gaming , Funspot , CGE , Ground Kontrol , etc . Bring back Global Gaming , Keep Retro Scene , and Archer , More DID`s and High SCore .
Basically , more Arcade stuff :D Like a section called * Arcde Retro Gamer * :lol:

Thanx for the lack of caning ( so far ) ..

Who`s Gary Whelan ? :wink:

sandinista

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:31 pm

I'll be off to CGE in the US this July (fifth time visit) so maybe I can persuade Darran to feature a two page spread review? ;)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Spanner

Re:

Post by Spanner » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:52 am

sandinista wrote: Basically , more Arcade stuff :D Like a section called * Arcde Retro Gamer * :lol:
sandinista
I'm with you on this. I think of the arcade as a classic console or computer in its own right, and is without doubt my favourite game "system" of all time. And as a topic it's plenty broad, too.

I'll certainly make more of an effort to accomodate on this front, and already have something in the works that might please ;)

Good call.
Yes, my real name is Spanner and I've already heard that joke you just thought of. On the plus side, a name like this also comes with built in chat up lines, so at least the chicks dig it...

P-Head

Re:

Post by P-Head » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:53 am

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:
P-Head wrote:It's a really good issue, but I thought it was odd that the Atari 7800 version of Xevious wasn't featured.
There's nothing unique or noteworthy about the 7800 game, it's just a straight port of the coin-op. It's a very good port, but The Definitive... doesn't cover ports unless there's something significantly different in them.
Fair enough :)