Retro Gamer Issue 113 - Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
Eric
Posts: 692
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 113 - Feedback Thread

Post by Eric » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:35 pm

Enjoyed "The Mysterious Crash" article. Had forgot about the handheld LCD craze, still have a few from the time. They were my first step into games as mentioned in the article they were affordable & easily sneaked into school.
Great article, though thought it ended abruptly.

User avatar
Mayhem
Posts: 4741
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:05 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 113 - Feedback Thread

Post by Mayhem » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:30 am

Hiro wrote:Why not have an article (if it's not been done already) on games that had different versions (with different programming teams) in Europe and USA? Like the aforementioned Bionic Commando, or Afterburner on the Amiga for example... I think there'd be a lot to dig :)
Craig G did such an article a long time ago I believe, I think it was in one the first year of issues of RG after Imagine took over.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Image

User avatar
Eric
Posts: 692
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 113 - Feedback Thread

Post by Eric » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:51 am

Mayhem wrote:
Hiro wrote:Why not have an article (if it's not been done already) on games that had different versions (with different programming teams) in Europe and USA? Like the aforementioned Bionic Commando, or Afterburner on the Amiga for example... I think there'd be a lot to dig :)
Craig G did such an article a long time ago I believe, I think it was in one the first year of issues of RG after Imagine took over.
Issue 26 with Sonic on the cover. A feature called "Across the Pond" looks at UK vs US versions including After Burner, 720 Degress, Bionic Commando, Cabal, Rampage and Jackal.

User avatar
Hiro
Posts: 1654
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:07 pm
Location: Genova, Italy
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 113 - Feedback Thread

Post by Hiro » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:07 am

Eric wrote:Issue 26 with Sonic on the cover. A feature called "Across the Pond" looks at UK vs US versions including After Burner, 720 Degress, Bionic Commando, Cabal, Rampage and Jackal.
Great! I have that issue but haven't read it yet (I subscribed in 2011 and got issues 1-87 on eBay in a bundle, but I still have to read a lot of them), I'm going to check it out :)
Image

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

User avatar
Hiro
Posts: 1654
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:07 pm
Location: Genova, Italy
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 113 - Feedback Thread

Post by Hiro » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:44 pm

Just finished the issue and I confirm it's an excellent one. An error in the C16 special, Timeslip wasn't released in 1990 (when, alas, the C16 was already dead by a long time) but in 1985 and not by Hudson surely. Small mistake anyway.

The only true, grave error is at page 77, I know the sentence says "the action doesn't smooth scroll" but the words "Amstrad" and "smooth scroll" should never be in the same sentence/paragraph/page. Ever :lol: :lol:
Image

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

User avatar
Rory Milne
Posts: 434
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:49 am

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 113 - Feedback Thread

Post by Rory Milne » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:54 pm

Hiro wrote:Just finished the issue and I confirm it's an excellent one. An error in the C16 special, Timeslip wasn't released in 1990 (when, alas, the C16 was already dead by a long time) but in 1985 and not by Hudson surely. Small mistake anyway.
Well spotted, Hiro. Not sure how the wrong date and company appeared in my article, the feature as submitted had the correct info, so I guess it must have happened during the editing process. Hope it didn't spoil your enjoyment of the piece too much though. :)

User avatar
Hiro
Posts: 1654
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:07 pm
Location: Genova, Italy
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 113 - Feedback Thread

Post by Hiro » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:32 pm

Rory Milne wrote:Well spotted, Hiro. Not sure how the wrong date and company appeared in my article, the feature as submitted had the correct info, so I guess it must have happened during the editing process. Hope it didn't spoil your enjoyment of the piece too much though. :)
Not at all, I really enjoyed reading again about my first computer and its games, some of which I had never actually played! Hope to see more in the future, maybe some info or an interview with Udo Gertz (one of the best game programmers for the platform) and/or with the companies that supported the C16 the most :)
Image

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

User avatar
ivarf
Posts: 884
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:08 am
Location: Norway

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 113 - Feedback Thread

Post by ivarf » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:21 am

Hiro wrote: The only true, grave error is at page 77, I know the sentence says "the action doesn't smooth scroll" but the words "Amstrad" and "smooth scroll" should never be in the same sentence/paragraph/page. Ever :lol: :lol:
Unless you know better. Somehow I feel this fits better for the MSX

NorthWay
Posts: 1630
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:02 am
Location: Grimstad, Norway

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 113 - Feedback Thread

Post by NorthWay » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:13 pm

Still far behind, but I jumped right in at the Amiga 500 article (that frontpage made me feel like it was 1990 again when I saw it at the local magazine outlet).

And I am not sure I 'get' the collectors thing. Focus on good games? Rare games? Special packaging?
You pick a specific model, that came out at a specific time, and only a specific format (PAL).
Yet there was for a long time (1985-1986) simply no PAL Amigas, and many NTSC releases were simply sold world-wide, or it was a dual-format release.
You pick games from the time before its release, you pick games that are typically US releases only, and you have a rarity rating that I have trouble keeping track of.

Add to this that I feel (personal, y'know) that a good many other games would have been worth listing. Stuff from ReadySoft, Discovery, Innerprise, Visionary Design Technologies - some of which you listed, but a lot you didn't.

And seeing how the rarity guide was not PAL-only I'd say you missed out what I believe is the rarest game I know of. Let's see if any of the readers here know what it is.

NorthWay
Posts: 1630
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:02 am
Location: Grimstad, Norway

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 113 - Feedback Thread

Post by NorthWay » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:30 pm

NorthWay wrote:And seeing how the rarity guide was not PAL-only I'd say you missed out what I believe is the rarest game I know of. Let's see if any of the readers here know what it is.
Topic is evidently not of interest any longer, so to cut a (long?) story short: "Monkey Business" by Ron J Fortier / Other Valley Software (that's the Bruce Lee guy yes). Reportedly the first commercially available game for the Amiga. (Mindwalker coming in as #2 - despite "unlicenced" versions doing the rounds among the developers before the A1000 release.)
I challenge RG to do a review of the game (ST version not acceptable). I've never seen a crack of it appear anywhere...

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests