Retro Gamer Issue 113 - Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 113 - Feedback Thread

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:10 am

snowkatt wrote:
Nemesis wrote:
crusto wrote: One thing I will moan about though is the glaring omission of the PCE in the conversion champions article on page 77 (R-type obviously). Yes the speccy version is an excellent achievement but ffs come on, if you want a champion then lets at least be real ffs. Its not like the PCE doesnt receive coverage in RG. I simply cannot see how it can be ignored. Outrageous.
The article was about converting arcade games, which were based on far superior hardware to what those titles were being converted to. The PC Engine for its time was a fairly powerful consumer device which could handle far more accurate conversions than the Speccy etc. That was the concept of the article, how did programmers squeeze a pint into a thimble & what concessions/decisions did they make to convert a game onto under powered hardware.

is this a running feature or not ?
if it isnt it should be because its well worth reading in my opinion

though not just the usual home computers but the conversions for the consoles too as well as ms dos
If we can speak to Japanese developers about converting coin-ops to consoles then we'll follow it up. Unfortunately that's unlikely to happen, so you'd simply be left with a pretty pointless comparison spread. Many Japanese developers are only contactable via PRs and PRs don't want you talking about old games. This is the main reason why there is so much western developer content in the magazine.

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:03 am

Erm, I'm guessing I should have received mine now then :shock:

BenderRodriguez

Post by BenderRodriguez » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:29 am

Great issue especially Amiga guide and Video Games Crash from different perspective, I never realised how big role handhelds played in this. Also thanks for mentioning Bubble Bobble, it was indeed fantastic conversion.. I played it for hours on my C64 and later on in high school on C64 emulator with my friend every time we had some class cancelled.

kleinemaus

Post by kleinemaus » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:52 am

Just reading my issue, good Amiga article except......a whole page wasted on crappy joysticks? and not enough American classics, stuff from EA, MicroProse, Origin. But still, it's a personal article and me being an Amiga user since day 2, I liked it.
The first crash, yes, I remember reading about it in a video game book, nice to read some more detailed info about it.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:27 pm

kleinemaus wrote:Just reading my issue, good Amiga article except......a whole page wasted on crappy joysticks? and not enough American classics, stuff from EA, MicroProse, Origin. But still, it's a personal article and me being an Amiga user since day 2, I liked it.
The first crash, yes, I remember reading about it in a video game book, nice to read some more detailed info about it.
See I thought this as well. Most Amiga's didn't actually ship with joysticks initially though, as they were seen as business machines. Therefore it become quite an important peripheral and some of those sticks are quite collectible (even if they are rubbish to use).

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:47 am

MikeFishcake wrote:Erm, I'm guessing I should have received mine now then :shock:
Forget that, it had been tidied away :D

Fawltykog

Post by Fawltykog » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:34 am

Used a Speed King 2 joystick with my Atari ST, best damm joystick ever.

Just thought i'd mention that and this... Great to see Chuckie Egg 2 getting some much deserved praise in a another excellent issue. :arrow: Fawltykog.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:49 pm

Not a big fan of the front page. Some version of the hand (other colours?) could have been better.

Is it only me that finds many of the front designs to be too "zoomed in"? I think many are too much "in your face" and would be better if shrunk slightly.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:55 pm

Issue arrived today, and the cover is glorious... I'll start reading it right away! About time RG gave more space to the best computer ever :mrgreen: I will thoroughly look for mistakes or flaws in the Amiga article... :wink:

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:55 pm

Lovely issue. I could read a whole book about Conversion Kings and the like, just love all that kind of stuff.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:52 am

I'm halfway though the issue and it looks like it's the best issue in a long time! :) At last the Amiga gets some serious attention, then also some space for my loved/hated C16, the boss article is great, Steve Kelly will be an interesting read, and I can't wait to read the "Conversion Kings" article, love the topic and I particularly like the "varied" articles, with more games covered within (like the "power ups" in the previous issue) :)

The Amiga article is very good overall, some good game choices, it's hard to choose only so few titles. The joystick section could be a bit "heavier" (there are a lot of other popular sticks and brands, like Wilco), some good calls with games.

The only "flaw" I found was a bit too much Bitmap Brothers love. Xenon 2 is not one of the best shmups on the Amiga, and Gods is one of the most overrated platformers, slow and cumbersome, I could quote at least 10 better platform games on top of my head.
And also putting Shadow of the Beast 2 in the list is debatable, I find it's the weaker of the three. Not technically impressive as the first game, terribly diffcult, and not as playable as the third. You want graphics and music go for SotB 1, you want playability go for SotB 3.

Anyway, terrific stuff!

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

Gibberish Driftwood

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:24 am

The cover says there is something Pacmania related in the mag. But where, I cant find it? :?:
Ken sent me.
Do the Kirby dance: (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')>

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:30 pm

An enjoyable read and the only gripe I have is that I found the Amiga Collectors list to be poorly compiled together. I know the Amiga had tons of games for it but for anyone collecting then no mention was made of these games that you simply must own, Lords Of Chaos, Player Manager, Silly Putty, Crazy Cars III, Stryx, Stardust, Infestation, Wings, Rocket Ranger, Turrican II, Swiv, Starglider, Archipelagos, Nebulus, The Pawn, M1 Tank Platoon, Apocalypse... I wonder what the value and rarity of some of those titles are?

Eric

Post by Eric » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:26 pm

Gibberish Driftwood wrote:The cover says there is something Pacmania related in the mag. But where, I cant find it?
Had a quick look through, think you're right Pac-Mania not included. Must have been dropped in favour of another article.

I like the Amiga machine cover this month even though I usually prefer the alternatives. The unused covers just seemed a bit too "busy". The Amiga 500 boot disk screen is a good idea for the cover but the A1200 purple animated disk boot screen was always my favourite.

Off topic slightly - the photo of the Gamate on the letters page shows a Tetris clone. I'm attempting a Tetris clone for ios, what's this game called and does it add any new features to Tetris?
More off topic - does any BBC Micro fans know of a educational game called Code Breakers (may not be correct name) possibly by Phonects (again may not be correct name)

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:03 am

Eric wrote:More off topic - does any BBC Micro fans know of a educational game called Code Breakers (may not be correct name) possibly by Phonects (again may not be correct name)
It could well be this one, by program power.

http://www.retrogames.co.uk/more/on/details/023558

My memory is rather hazy on it, but I think it is a puzzle game rather than an educational.

It was re-released on a mini compilation by Alternative, bit more info here.

http://www.beebgames.com/games.php?sear ... ch_desc=on

I really must get on and read the mag, I have only gone through the C-16 minority report so far, very good selection of games, although I dislike Tube Runner, and it only has a 5.1/10 on Plus4 World, I totally respect a personal choice of games of course, I would have had Arthur Noid in there somewhere, but great to see the likes of the wonderful Autozone featured, any more articles on the 264 range of computers would be most welcome.