Retro Gamer Issue 113 - Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Gibberish Driftwood

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 113 - Feedback Thread

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:14 am

Eric wrote:Had a quick look through, think you're right Pac-Mania not included. Must have been dropped in favour of another article.
Hopefully it will show up in the next issue.
Ken sent me.
Do the Kirby dance: (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')>

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:39 pm

Other thank a quick flick through I haven't read a copy properly in ages. But looking at this months content I am planning an extra long bath tonight to read it (especially the Amiga, C16, Micro Machines, Conversions and Steve Kelly articles). Looks like the best issue for content in a year or so. I like the cover too.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:39 pm

have read a lot more now and its an excellent issue, very strong

SqueakyG

Post by SqueakyG » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:43 pm

The glorious cover for the glorious Amiga makes this a glorious issue!

I wonder why the big photo of the mouse is not the Amiga mouse, though? The Amiga mouse was quite distinctive.

I'd never heard of a games industry "crash" in 1977 during the transition between single-game consoles and programmable consoles. I've just heard of the familiar 1983 crash. So it's a weird way to start an article: "For many years now, videogame fans have been treated to whispers of a first videogame crash..." (have they??) "Well, we're here to tell you it didn't happen." (Oh, okay.)

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:13 pm

SqueakyG wrote:I wonder why the big photo of the mouse is not the Amiga mouse, though? The Amiga mouse was quite distinctive.
True, but it was also quite terrible :twisted: and was generally switched very soon for a decent one :roll:

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:37 pm

Just finished the Amiga article and I'm loving this issue. Great to see PC coverage of the caliber of the Planescape article in the mag.

kleinemaus

Post by kleinemaus » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:17 am

Rare...missing Miracle Keyboard on the Amiga article.
I paid GBP15 for it way back in 96, cib, and now it's supposed to be worth loads of dosh.

kleinemaus

Post by kleinemaus » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:42 pm

Most excellent Minority Report, worth the magazine alone.
Also outstanding is Beyond's Shadowfire trilogy. Would have loved playing the third game, the first two were great.

KennyG

Post by KennyG » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:21 am

Doddsy wrote:An enjoyable read and the only gripe I have is that I found the Amiga Collectors list to be poorly compiled together.
Indeed. It included many games which a collector should forget that they own such as Rise of the Robots, After Burner, A Prehistoric Tale, European Championship 1992. In addition, there were a few games which can't be played on an A500: Super Loopz was an AGA only title. There were also a large number of early titles which were later surpassed as programmers got more familiar with the system.

My other gripe is that there was no reference to the fact that there were two different models of A500: the original A500 and the A500+, which wasn't entirely compatible with the original model.

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:09 pm

That's always one of my gripes - putting Amiga AGA-only titles in lists of Amiga games.
Similarly chucking MSX-2 screenshots into an MSX article.
No-one ever seems to be chucking Falcon game screenshots into ST articles, but then I suppose you'd be hard-pressed to find any...

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:35 pm

I still don't have my issue but I heard there was a lot of fanboy rage about the Amiga article in the Amiga community.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:58 pm

The Laird wrote:I still don't have my issue but I heard there was a lot of fanboy rage about the Amiga article in the Amiga community.
There's always rage somewhere.
No matter how much someone thinks they know about something there's always someone who knows more. The 500+ is relevant, it should have been mentioned in the article as it's misleading. Cheers to the person who pointed that out. We changed the article from an overall look at the Amiga to focus on the 500 at the last minute, so that's probably why some mistakes crept through. Lists are always going to be controversial, so I'm not too fussed about that.

KennyG

Post by KennyG » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:27 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:We changed the article from an overall look at the Amiga to focus on the 500 at the last minute, so that's probably why some mistakes crept through.
That's probably for the best given the number of models involved and the longevity of the range. I would suggest though that it would be worth revisiting the Amiga in terms of a feature on the collapse of Commodore. The underlying situation was far more complex than the summary contained in the article. The CD32 wasn't a failure until Commodore went bust - it was the biggest-selling CD games console in the UK up to that point. The problem was that the company literally didn't have the cash to keep going.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:30 pm

Best selling cd console at the time? What better than the cdi?!
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

KennyG

Post by KennyG » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:55 pm

jdanddiet wrote:Best selling cd console at the time? What better than the cdi?!
Yep, while it was on the market. It accounted for 38% of all CD console sales in the UK at Christmas 1993.