Retro Gamer Issue 113 - Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

bensonrad

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 113 - Feedback Thread

Post by bensonrad » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:24 pm

Another great issue, reading the editors intro, I do think Darran you are a horder and need to probably get rid of that snes stuff you don't touch, I can give you my address to send, purge yourself and cleanse your soul! :wink:

Like the Amiga article, had no idea some of those games were worth a bit, I had big box of amiga games I sold off about a year ago, listed on here for £1 if I recall, GemX was one of them, in the end I put the lot on ebay as a buy it now for £15 to get rid of them. I do remeber them being bought with in mins and the seller saying something about he had been after Gemx and was happy to take the lot just for that!

Keep up the good work
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

Spacepatrol

Post by Spacepatrol » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:21 pm

I really enjoyed this months Future Classic. I don't know how I missed it upon release as I was a great fan of JRPGs at the time. Will definitely have to check that one out. It would be nice to see a feature on PS2 RPG 'Hidden Gems', I have been looking on YouTube at some of the US/JP only 'Shining' series games and they look great.

All in all nice issue, always a fan of a bit of Amiga goodness.

tachi

Post by tachi » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:45 pm

I like this issue :D
The Torment article was great and my wife, for whom Baldur's Gate and Torment are the 2 best games ever, is looking forward to reading it.
I enjoyed the Amiga article very much and was very happy to see Hired Guns getting a mention as it is an excellent game which is sorely overlooked far too often :(
Also I must say my heartfelt thanks for the image of US Golds Coin Op Hits 2. I adored that boxset and while I still have the games the box has long since been lost and it gave me one of those wonderful warm feelings that are sadly few and far between these days apart from when I am caught short going to the toilet.
All in all a great issue and I will be rereading it on my throne tonight.
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:10 pm

For me, a lot of the subject matter in this issue is not of any particular interest of mine. And to be honest its not presented in a way that encourages me to read on. I wont say its a bad issue as that would be wrong, its just not up my street - albeit yet again.

One thing I will moan about though is the glaring omission of the PCE in the conversion champions article on page 77 (R-type obviously). Yes the speccy version is an excellent achievement but ffs come on, if you want a champion then lets at least be real ffs. Its not like the PCE doesnt receive coverage in RG. I simply cannot see how it can be ignored. Outrageous.

Eat your nans pants

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:26 pm

crusto wrote: One thing I will moan about though is the glaring omission of the PCE in the conversion champions article on page 77 (R-type obviously). Yes the speccy version is an excellent achievement but ffs come on, if you want a champion then lets at least be real ffs. Its not like the PCE doesnt receive coverage in RG. I simply cannot see how it can be ignored. Outrageous.
Well the focus of the article was speaking to computer coders of 8- and 16-bit computers. It wasn't focused on arcade conversions in general, just those specific to the developer we were interviewing and the ones most of us would have actually played back in the day. With that being the case we didn't feature things like PC Engine R-Type, because it would have been a ridiculous and unfair comparison to make. We did mention the superior version in the box out, but it was cut for space purposes. I can see why it's irksome, but hopefully the above makes sense.

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:38 pm

Of course, yeah. Tbh I mainly skim read and stop when something grabs my attention. So if a particular issue has more articles that don't instantly grab me then ill always overlook them, initially. I just assumed from the title that the article was of a general nature an not directed at specific platforms. Personally, I was playing on the PCE back in the day so I guess im in the minority. That's why I look out for it so much now. I think it would be great if RG pushed the more obscure formats a bit more.

Eat your nans pants

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:58 am

crusto wrote: One thing I will moan about though is the glaring omission of the PCE in the conversion champions article on page 77 (R-type obviously). Yes the speccy version is an excellent achievement but ffs come on, if you want a champion then lets at least be real ffs. Its not like the PCE doesnt receive coverage in RG. I simply cannot see how it can be ignored. Outrageous.
The article was about converting arcade games, which were based on far superior hardware to what those titles were being converted to. The PC Engine for its time was a fairly powerful consumer device which could handle far more accurate conversions than the Speccy etc. That was the concept of the article, how did programmers squeeze a pint into a thimble & what concessions/decisions did they make to convert a game onto under powered hardware.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:10 pm

Agreed, see the post above yours. :)

Eat your nans pants

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:55 pm

As usual I enjoyed the issue, and still have a few cool looking articles to read (Planescape Torment being one).

I will leave my opinions here, despite the fact that any negativity towards the magazine, even with constructive criticism, often leads to hostile responses from certain parties. Anyway...

The cover isn't bad. A bit dull having a machine, especially a bland looking 'keyboard' machine, but it's ok.

The magazine seems very 'listy' with loads of content comprising of boxouts / mini segments / lists or whatever e.g. The (enjoyable) Amiga article, The (pretty weak) Game Bosses article, Conversion Kings (same old titles again and again.. chase HQ, R-Type - yawn), and Minority Report - listing loads of C16 games (still a good read).

It's an OK issue for my personal tastes, but I did think the Wii-U thing in the Retro Radar section was pretty pointless. As far as the console is concerned - I think it is pretty sad that people get excited about NES games games being released - AGAIN!!!!! - on a brand new console that promises so much innovation. Who cares. Surely anyone who likes these games has, and prefers to play them on, the original hardware. Or for convenience, on emulators on your laptop or whatever.

Finally - and as always - The homebrew section. The first two pages are relatively interesting, as they often are - bringing strange projects I would otherwise miss to my attention. But the third page is the usual lazy crap featuring a handful of rubbish titles that are blatently just downloaded in one afternoon and chosen to feature. These Xbox downloadable games are Indie games not homebrew anyway. If you are covering the dross on XBLIG I implore you for the love of God start covering decent PC indie titles.

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:07 pm

Not finished reading it yet but the Amiga coverage was good and that was always going to be a winner wuth me. Probably would have liked more.

RitmanRovers

Post by RitmanRovers » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:17 pm

Eschewed my usual purchase from Waterloo station and instead bought it from my local Tesco megastore, as it was stocked there for the first time last month and I wanted to show interest in the new listing

that's how fcking sad i am

Not read much yet, but especially looking forward to the PlanesScape: Torment. Not becuase I have ever played it, but because it's in my Top 10 list of ace-looking games that I've never played and love reading about.

that's also how fcking sad i am.

cover is boring and yet again i preferred the "ones that got away" in the letters page, which is a brilliant - if frustrating - addition to the mag format!

I am also getting slightly annoyed that my collection of retro gamers - which is kept in the living room coffee table storage chest type thing - are always being used by wife to eat her dinner off, or indeed my daughter as a something to put paper on. Like slightly floppy table mats.

im sure darran and co would agree that this is a hideous abuse of my favourite computing magazine.
Eat my boomstick

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:06 pm

^^ Best feedback ever ^^ :lol:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:12 pm

ChipTune wrote: (same old titles again and again.. chase HQ, R-Type - yawn)
You should try playing them. They're really good.

Oh and I need to actually review an additional XBOX LIVE INDIE game as we revied arcadecraft twice. Chuck some recommendations and I'll look at them this weekend. No promises I'll agree with your opinion though :P

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:20 pm

Nemesis wrote:
The article was about converting arcade games, which were based on far superior hardware to what those titles were being converted to. The PC Engine for its time was a fairly powerful consumer device which could handle far more accurate conversions than the Speccy etc. That was the concept of the article, how did programmers squeeze a pint into a thimble & what concessions/decisions did they make to convert a game onto under powered hardware.

is this a running feature or not ?
if it isnt it should be because its well worth reading in my opinion

though not just the usual home computers but the conversions for the consoles too as well as ms dos
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Kai

Post by Kai » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:19 am

Fantastic issue, guys! And what a wonderful cover!

I love everything AMIGA, so I was very pleased with the ultimate collector's guide.
The articles about MICRO MACHINES, PANG, conversion kings and C16 minority report were great, too!